What's new

One handle to rule them all!

I'm probably in the minority here, but I really enjoy using my Maggard MR1 stainless steel handle with pretty much all of my vintage and modern razor heads. It just feels perfect for me - not too short or too tall, not too heavy or too light, not too skinny or too thick as well as having a good knurling on it making it very grippy. I really like it's simplistic and old style. Most modern handles on the market just look very fancy and futuristic, but they are either too thick, too long, lack good knurling or their shape is kinda odd.

I was wondering, how many of you are using one or a couple of handles with most or all razor heads or some might prefer to keep it original and use the whole razor as it is. I know for some folks, using an after market handle that isn't an original for a specific razor is a blasphemy :D.

178A1355-3D7F-46DF-BF9D-65A085D58C84.jpeg

I use either the polished or matte finish Timeless Ti Crown handles on most of my razors. They don’t work as well for me on my Vintage Gillette razors, probably because those razors are better balanced with shorter and lighter weight handles. I plan to get a couple @Rosseforp handles for them.
@Rosseforp aluminum and bronze GTS handle. 14.3mmx78mm, weighs 19.2 grams.

I occasionally have trouble gripping the handle when my arthritis flares up. That's why, when I decided to buy a modern razor, I chose a Rex Envoy, and I haven't been disappointed. The grippy knurling is amazing. 🤗

Here are my favorite handles from my collection.

Favorite modern handle : CG Copper Bee, Dart handle, Wolfman Darwin, original Tradere handle

Favorite Vintage handle : Durham Duplex handle

Favorite Artisan handle : Bob's Razor Works Bull Mastiff handle

West Coast Shaving 84S. Makes any razor look like it came from a sci-fi movie. Also easy to grip.

I also like RazoRock's stainless UFO handle.

I have several of each.

O.H.

The knurled UFO is one of my favorites. I like the barber pole too.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
Wunderbar + Alpha Viper
Outlaw + Alpha Bravo
Timeless 14mm 100mm Barber Pole Timeless Ti Crown

In general I prefer my handles long and heavy. Just like Col. Kilgore prefers heavier surfboards vs lighter ones in Apocalypse Now.

I like the variety and love knurls.

I might get some Windrose handles and maybe some of the more monstrous WCS handles in future.

I think handles are the part where a funnels tuned razor head can be turned into fancy art. The functionality must not suffer, though.

I find it quite fascinating how many people prefer short and light handles. Seems to be a trend, but I am not a fan.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
@Rosseforp Let's get a pic of the Stang
20200410_092440.jpg

Circa 1993 at LACR Raceway. Found the winners circle in Street Legal 1 that day too!
20191005_114556 (2).jpg

The 'stang leaving my Mom's house in 2019 where it has lived for most of it's life after getting some fresh paint in 1999.
stang (2).jpg

Where the 'stang sits right now, patiently waiting for me to bring it home and re-install the interior and powertrain.

~doug~

lasta

Blade Biter
View attachment 1533802
Circa 1993 at LACR Raceway. Found the winners circle in Street Legal 1 that day too!
View attachment 1533809
The 'stang leaving my Mom's house in 2019 where it has lived for most of it's life after getting some fresh paint in 1999.
View attachment 1533810
Where the 'stang sits right now, patiently waiting for me to bring it home and re-install the interior and powertrain.

~doug~
A guy who can make a custom driveshaft can definitely turn a razor handle! Beautiful work!

I wouldn't go that far! However, the Maggard MR11 is a favorite and is used with several different razor heads. I also really like a Gillette Common Bar handle replated in nickel. That one is light and nimble.

Top Bottom