What's new

One-Handed Shaving Advice

Hey, guys!

I'm going to have a double surgery on my right hand in two weeks -- both Carpal Tunnel and "trigger finger" (little finger) releases -- on my right (dominant) hand. These conditions have been plaguing me for a few years now, so I really need the surgeries. It becomes very difficult to shave with a Slant/Feather combo when my first two fingers and thumb are totally numb and my little finger is in AGONY!

I'm told by my surgeon that I won't be able to use my right hand very well for a couple of weeks, at least. So what would you folks advice --

1. Not shave. Just go back-woodsy, like lots of my fellow Oregonians?

2. Shave with Slant using my left hand -- How to do this? Difficult to work up a lather with a brush using my left hand only. Also hard to control blade angle and razor stroke with my left hand -- I almost never use it to hold my razor.

3. Go over to the "Dark Side" for a couple of weeks and shave with a M3P or Fusion with some kind of brushless cream? My left hand has been much weaker than my right and hard to control, after a childhood injury.

What would each of you do, if you had the same situation? :confused:

Thanks in advance for your replies.

1.) Talk to Ouch and see how he convinced his wife to shave his face for him, and if that didn't work,

2.) Get a less aggressive razor (like the HD) and take it nice and slow, or

3.) Assume the back-woodsy look.

I say just shave half of your face:eek: ...see if anyone notices and how long it takes someone to notice!:lol:

Or, I agree with Andrew and Jerry.

Randy

Tom,

I agree with Andrew and Jerry. A brushless cream and a disposable. I would probably just do one with the grain pass during this rehabilation period. At least you'll look neat.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano TX

If you can manage to shave after surgery, then that's great. If not, take your time and recover fully from your surgery. The hair isn't going to go anywhere. :wink:

Perhaps you can convince Ouch to send his wife over to shave you once or twice a week? That failing, unless you must shave for business, take a vacation from shaving and heal quickly! If you must shave, I can most highly recommend Provence Santé shaving cream for a wonderful brushless (or brush) shave.
Trigger finger is really a painful and debilitating ailment.:eek: How long have you suffered from that malady? My most sincere wishes for successful surgery followed by a speedy recovery!

Thanks to everyone for their advice! I like the idea of using a disposable and brushless cream -- it sounds pretty easy! I have some Nancy Boy, which I think works OK brushless. But I'm also going to pick up some of the Tom's Peppermint Cream that was posted about elsewhere here.

I suggested to my wife that she might try to shave me, but she got this REALLY SCARY LOOK on her face, so I will probably pass on that one...

I *DO* like the idea of practicing shaving with my left hand, as long as I don't hurt myself too badly. A disposable using a single pass sounds good.

guenron said:
Trigger finger is really a painful and debilitating ailment.:eek: How long have you suffered from that malady?

Ron, I've had Carpal Tunnel in both hands now for years. I've worn hand braces to bed each night for over 4 years (!!). I had the Carpal Tunnel Release surgery done on my left hand last September (still using an M3P/M3 Goop back then). The trigger finger in my right hand has been developing now for about 4 months, only getting excrutiating in the last two months.

For those who don't know what "trigger finger" is: when I make a fist with my right hand and then bring the fingers back to normal relaxed position, my pinkie finger STAYS LOCKED AGAINST MY PALM. No attempt to relax it will release it. In order to bring it out to an extended position, I have to pull it open with my other hand (with is where the AGONY comes in!). It's apparently a nodule that has formed on a tendon that is supposed to s l i d e through another tendon, but gets hung up.

As to what causes it, I really don't know. Probably comes with age (or too much typing on forums :biggrin: ).

Life has a fascinating bunch of obstacles, doesn't it?

Thanks!

Greetings Tom,

Whatever method you choose, you may want to start now to fine tune the coordination.

Rik,

Good advice! I HAVE STARTED tuning my coordination and using my left hand exclusively. Absoluting AMAZING how many things I do with my right hand :rolleyes: .

Go for a professional barbershop shave every morning. Deduct it as a legitimate medical expense, necessitated by the consequences of your surgery.

Hiring a busty 21 year old blonde to come to shave you in bed would probably be pushing it, though.

Then again, some IRS agents are likely more understanding than others.

All kidding aside, go for the brushless cream and some featherweight Gillette disposables. And don't worry that you won't get a baby's butt smooth result; you'll look sufficiently well groomed for most routine purposes. If you really do need a great shave for something like your daughter's wedding, a full page portrait in your company's corporate report, etc., then really do consider a professional barbershop or salon shave. Not that such shaves are necessarily all that great, but they're probably a little better than what you can manage for yourself one-handed.

And yeah, Nancy Boy is good brushless. So is Cremo Cream.

Oh, and best of luck with the surgery.

Sadly, I live in a coastal Oregon city, probably at least 6 hours from the nearest barbershop that might offer a men's shave (Portland).

Oh, well. I'll keep looking for the 21 year old busty blonde in hopes of training her how to shave me, anyway!

Thanks for the suggestion!:tongue:

vontech said:
Oh, well. I'll keep looking for the 21 year old busty blonde in hopes of training her how to shave me, anyway!

:tongue:

Until you find her, shaving left-handed will make it feel like it's being done by a whole different person anyway! :w00t:

Kujo, you got THAT right! I just tried it for the first time.

A single pass with a disposable, even after I soaked my beard in a hot cloth and applied conditioner, left on during the shower, resulted in almost NO beard being cut :mad: . I just kept hacking, did 3 passes and STILL got a lousy shave. Hardly even noticeable on my neck.

Back to the sink with Hot Towels for me, I guess. I'll try the same sensitive skin disposable tomorrow at the sink and see what happens.

The curse of my steel beard strikes again!:rolleyes:

Well, if all else fails, you could always (gasp) use an electric. :eek: At least it will keep the whiskers at bay.

BTW, make sure you find a good physical therapist for post-surgery treatment. It's vitally necessary to regain full functionality (my girl friend is a physical therapist).

vontech said:
Kujo, you got THAT right! I just tried it for the first time.

A single pass with a disposable, even after I soaked my beard in a hot cloth and applied conditioner, left on during the shower, resulted in almost NO beard being cut :mad: . I just kept hacking, did 3 passes and STILL got a lousy shave. Hardly even noticeable on my neck.

Back to the sink with Hot Towels for me, I guess. I'll try the same sensitive skin disposable tomorrow at the sink and see what happens.

The curse of my steel beard strikes again!:rolleyes:

Well buddy, either you need kryptonite to soften up those steel whiskers, or you need to ditch the disposables.

I've had some decent luck with my 40's Schick Injectors, they don't require the finesse of a DE and still do quite well. It's not impossible to cut yourself, but you really have to want it. :biggrin:

If you don't have one, in the interest of keeping a fellow wet-shaver from going to the darkside (disposables and/or electric shavers), I'd be glad to send you one and some razors for the duration of your recovery.

Tom,

Like many things in life, you take them for granted until you don't have it. When I was younger I fractured my right wrist playing softball. Simple daily activities become challenges. At the time I was driving a car with a stick and had to keep reaching across with my left hand to shift gears, not an easy or safe task.

I hope your surgery goes well.

If you get the left handed technique down, you could lay your claim to fame by becoming the the first ambidextrous wetshaver of the B&B community. :001_smile

Kevin

Top Bottom