What's new

One handed razor use...

I have always shaved with both hands. DE, cart or straight. It just always seemed natural to do so. I also use both hands while brushing my teeth, again it just seemed natural. I have shaved with DE one handed (both right and left) and it just felt strange.

Kudos to those who shave one handed. I've tried and it's not for me.

Both hands for me since day 1 with a SR. I am a lefty and living in a right handed world has made me ambidextrous with most activities.
I would imagine being a lefty you have more opportunity to develop you right handedness. I can't recall ever seeing left handed scissors for example. Most clothing is designed to be buttoned or zipped by righties too.

I would imagine being a lefty you have more opportunity to develop you right handedness. I can't recall ever seeing left handed scissors for example. Most clothing is designed to be buttoned or zipped by righties too.
Yes, we lefties may be a silent minority, but at least many of us are ambidextrous. So many people I know who are right handed can't do much with their left hand.

Yes, we lefties may be a silent minority, but at least many of us are ambidextrous. So many people I know who are right handed can't do much with their left hand.

There are many tasks that require use of both hands with equal dexterity. Here are a few examples:

1. Typing on a keyboard
2. Playing a piano
3. In playing a guitar or other stringed instrument, one hand fingers the notes while the other plucks the strings or draws the bow.
4. In playing the French horn, the left hand fingers the valves, but the right hand in the bell controls intonation.
5. In shooting a rifle, one hand pulls the trigger, but the other hand controls the aim.

Thus, most people where right or left hand dominant are more ambidextrous than the think.

I'm just using my dominant hand. I was doing ok with my left but I just find that using my right is more natural, although I might use my left again for a few spots where it seems a little easier. I'm still playing around a lot with what I like.

Over 500 SR shaves with my dominant hand only, WTG, XTG & ATG (including a fool's pass). All without any difficulty. Half the shave is done face out and the other half face in. Most of the XTG & ATG is done with the scales opened out to about 180°.
Thanks. I open the scales on my Feather AC SS too but felt like I was cheating. Knowing a seasoned SR shaver such as yourself does the same thing makes me feel a lot less guilty.

I'm still learning, but the shaves are getting easier and much more comfortable. I use both hands and I'm far from what one might consider fully ambidextrous. I start with my dominant hand and then attempt to mirror the angle, pressure, and stroke as much as possible with my non-dominant hand. This method has been working for me so I think I'll stick with it for a while. Be well and stay safe...

Last edited:
Thanks. I open the scales on my Feather AC SS too but felt like I was cheating. Knowing a seasoned SR shaver such as yourself does the same thing makes me feel a lot less guilty.

I'm still learning, but the shaves are getting easier and much more comfortable. I use both hands and I'm far from what one might consider fully ambidextrous. I start with my dominant hand and then attempt to mirror the angle, pressure, and stroke as much as possible with my non-dominant hand. This method has been working for me so I think I'll stick with it for a while. Be well and stay safe...
Oh, you can hold the scales in several ways for going different directions on your face and neck.

Oh, you can hold the scales in several ways for going different directions on your face and neck.
Yeah, I'm finally starting to realize that. My goal has been a close and comfortable shave without nicks or cuts. I'm there already, but it's still slow and steady. How I hold the razor is of little importance since I'm not shooting a video and my only judge is the post-shave alum block.

Since day one I’ve used both hands. Interestingly enough, each hand does equal work. I could draw an imaginary line from my forehead to my chin and that’s what each hand shaves. Left hand gets the left side and right hand gets the right side. I can’t believe I have never thought about that before!

A straight razor is a tool that’s designed to be used with both hands. You can ride a bike and play a piano with one hand too but that doesn’t make it right. You will definitely get better results and have an easier time in the long term using two hands.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A straight razor is a tool that’s designed to be used with both hands. You can ride a bike and play a piano with one hand too but that doesn’t make it right. You will definitely get better results and have an easier time in the long term using two hands.
I did quite well playing my French horn one-handed (non-dominant hand).

I did quite well playing my French horn one-handed (non-dominant hand).
With that level of digital dexterity there is a good chance that you will do very well at two handed straight razor shaving when you come to see the benefits. You do learn eventually! The left must come into play a bit on the fools pass already so your nearly there.

Since day one I’ve used both hands. Interestingly enough, each hand does equal work. I could draw an imaginary line from my forehead to my chin and that’s what each hand shaves. Left hand gets the left side and right hand gets the right side. I can’t believe I have never thought about that before!

When using a straight razor I do use my left hand to do the right side and left hand on the left side to shave WTG. However, I found it easier to do a reverse grip on the razor and shave with the opposite hand when doing XTG and ATG. Try it sometime.

When using a straight razor I do use my left hand to do the right side and left hand on the left side to shave WTG. However, I found it easier to do a reverse grip on the razor and shave with the opposite hand when doing XTG and ATG. Try it sometime.
Great suggestions, RayClem! The reverse grip is super comfortable. I will definitely add it to the routine. Thanks again!
Don

I use my right hand on the razor and left to stretch. I mirror the strokes side to side, so if the nose of the blade points at my nose on the right side of my face, it does so on the left side too. Each side of the blade gets equal time.

I'm one of those weird ambidextrous fellas. I use both hands, though I'm predominantly left-handed. I golf right, play baseball left, lacrosse both, soccer right. I write normal text left, cursive right. Somethings I do instinctively left, others right. In the end, I just go with what feels right. Haven't slit my throat yet, so that's saying something (I think!). Hope you have some great shaves and a wonderful day.

Top Bottom