What's new

One good thing about the recent heatwave...

When the weather gives you triple digit temps, make lemons.

Took advantage of the extreme heat this weekend and deodorized + re-waxed 6 Barbour jackets. Amazing how easy it was to keep the wax melted and evenly spread in the sun. Much less wax required as well. 1/2 tin I had left from a previous job was enough for 3 Jackets, plenty left in the 2nd tin. Soaking the 6 jackets in the deodorizing solution, air drying, waxing, and drying again took ~2Hrs total. Very pleased with the results, the best wax job ever.

What is the deodorizing solution, may I ask? Something like BioKleen Bac-out? Or more solvent to cut the wax? Thanks, curious.

I use an enzyme based odor eliminator from Gear Aid (works the same way Bac-out does). Does not cut the wax. Soak the coats and let them hang dry (the enzymes go to work while it's drying). Repeat multiple times for particularly ripe Jackets. Brought back an absolutely rancid coat to the acquired Barbour smell.

Revivex Odor Eliminator
proxy.php

When the weather gives you triple digit temps, make lemons.

Took advantage of the extreme heat this weekend and deodorized + re-waxed 6 Barbour jackets. Amazing how easy it was to keep the wax melted and evenly spread in the sun. Much less wax required as well. 1/2 tin I had left from a previous job was enough for 3 Jackets, plenty left in the 2nd tin. Soaking the 6 jackets in the deodorizing solution, air drying, waxing, and drying again took ~2Hrs total. Very pleased with the results, the best wax job ever.
I used the sun to wax up some boots. I’ve been tempted by a Barbour jacket though, they look awesome.

SIX Barbour jackets? Oh, my.

I got a bit carried away over the years. 6 Barbour waxed jackets. The men in the family have 11 total.

I have 3 waxed, 1 quilted and 2 cotton.
My son has 3 waxed, 1 quilted and 1 cotton.

Many were bought second hand or from retailers clearing out stock. They are mostly Barbour International which are the more slimmer, more modern cut. If i take care of them, the waxed jackets will make way to the yet unborn grandchildren.

On a side note, my son recently turned 18 and I'm pretty much sure that he's no longer growing. I've already got the proper grooming going with a wet shaving setup (he's going to be THAT kid who moves into his dorm room with a soap collection) and I've been helping him build a wardrobe with the long game in mind - classic items from shoes to hats which will be in fashion forever while still maintaining a younger look.

Top Bottom