What's new

One down, a lot more to go I think

Hello all,

A while ago I asked for some advise over here about picking up the pipe (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/287386-Dear-Pipesmokers-I-need-your-help) . To assure you the excellent advise you gave me was not wasted, I'm happy to report the following:

Tonight I bought my first one, a Big Ben 541 Dusk (pics later this week), along with some Alsbo gold tobacco as recommended by the shopkeeper and the other bits and pieces needed for a smoke.
I must say I really enjoyed it, and it went quite well. There was a bit of unburned tobacco left in the bowl, but I guess that's what happends to most beginners. I'm on my way!

Some pics as promissed...
$P1050398.jpg$P1050401.jpg$P1050402.jpg$P1050403.jpg

One question though:
The pipe is a filter pipe, and I've smoked it twice since friday. Now, how many times does one use a filter, and should I take it out as soon as the pipes is completely cooled?

The pipe is a filter pipe, and I've smoked it twice since friday. Now, how many times does one use a filter, and should I take it out as soon as the pipes is completely cooled?
My first pipes were Dr. Grabow pipes with filters. I generally tried a few draws on the empty pipe before loading it or when I was just in a mood for some good mindless fun cleaning several pipes. If a pipe didn't seem to be drawing well, it got a pipe cleaner through it and the filter replaced.

Eventually I just took to leaving the filters out altogether. My understanding is that they mostly absorb moisture and reduce tar a little. I had enough pipes to rotate and dry, plus I puff without inhaling so the tar doesn't bother me that much.

Never remove the stem from a hot pipe. It's a good way to break your pipe. Deciding that you want to do somethinging, like change the filter, as soon as the pipe is completely cool is an invitation to jump the gun and remove the stem while the pipe is just a little warm. The results are the same.

The moisture is what raised my question. This afternoon I took the pipe apart to run a pipe cleaner through the stem and channel from the bowl and to see what 2 half bowl smokes would do to the filter. And as I took it out I noticed that the filter was quite wet, that to me says that if the filter holds that much moisture for that long a period then the pipe itself cant realy be drying as much.

The moisture is what raised my question. This afternoon I took the pipe apart to run a pipe cleaner through the stem and channel from the bowl and to see what 2 half bowl smokes would do to the filter. And as I took it out I noticed that the filter was quite wet, that to me says that if the filter holds that much moisture for that long a period then the pipe itself cant realy be drying as much.

Very true I don't leave a filter in after smoking, but Paul's warnings should be considered. You want to be sure the pipe is thoroughly cooled before you disassemble it. I dislike paper and charcoal filters if I use one it is the Savinelli Balsa. They last longer and while they do help control moisture, they don't become a soggy mess.

Lovely pipe!
On my pipes with filters, I change the filter before I smoke it. That way I don't have to wait for it to cool down and mistakenly attempt to pull the stem with the pipe still warm. As far as frequency of filter change, it varies from pipe to pipe, but I usually get five bowls through most pipes before I feel the need to change.

Lovely pipe!
On my pipes with filters, I change the filter before I smoke it. That way I don't have to wait for it to cool down and mistakenly attempt to pull the stem with the pipe still warm. As far as frequency of filter change, it varies from pipe to pipe, but I usually get five bowls through most pipes before I feel the need to change.
Thanks! The bowl may be a bit large for a beginner like me since it takes me an hour to empty half a bowl, but all in all no complaints since that long relaxing smoke is what I'm looking for.
I've been breaking in the pipe by smoking half bowls in it, about six or seven so far. Filterwise I now take it out after a day or two and replace it with a new one, the used one goes in a little box to dry further and be re-used another day. As I smoke only once every 3 or 4 days there are no real problems, the breaking in period just takes a little longer that's all.
The Alsbo gold tobacco I was sold with the pipe doesn't really fit my taste so yesterday I bought some Troost Special Cavendish to try out tonight.

Beauty of a pipe you have there! Sounds like you're getting to find your way around the pipe and enjoying it. It's really amazing the varieties of tobacco's available out there, and what you'll probably find is that your tastes will change over time. Unless you encounter a variety that is just horrendous to your taste (in my case Half & Half) set it aside in a jar and re-visit it. You just may find that you enjoy it on a day other than today!

Top Bottom