What's new

One Brush to Rule Them All.

So, after about five years of this hobby, I had whittled down my brush stable to this:

$DSCF4193.jpg

My SOP was to pick out one brush and one soap every Monday, and use them for the week. No set rotation, just whatever I felt like. From left to right:

* Morris & Forndran 1/1: Fantastic, scrubby little brush. Probably the second most-used brush here.

* Rooney 1/1: Softer, with less backbone than the M&F, this was my "go to" for the first two years.

* Rudy Vey B&B 2012 LE: Shavemac knot, this became my absolute favorite.

* Kent BLK8: Like shaving with a cloud. If there is a better cream brush out there, I don't know what it is.

* Semogue Owner's Club: I've determined that I'm more of a badger guy, but the SOC is just so damn sexy.

* Rudy Vey custom silvertip: The LE and the M&F nudged this guy out of regular use, but a great change of pace.

And that was it. I was good. Finished. Satisfied. Until, that is, the 2015 Sue Moore auction brought a new addition to the den. For the past six months or so, my rotation has looked like this:

$DSCF4195.jpg

The M&F Chief. I passed on it when it came out (I was set, right?), and had a nagging regret about it. Made it my #1 target when the auction came around ("It's for charity, honey!") and brought it home to papa. Took a solid week with Martin de Candre to subdue the badger funk, but I could tell I was on to something. I kept pulling it out. Week after week after week. For four months straight. Just a few weeks ago I finally decided to give the other guys a turn, and they are all still great brushes, but I found them lacking in comparison. I know YMMV and all that, but for me...I have found the One Brush to Rule Them All.
:w00t:

Nice one!

Was it new unused? That's awesome!

I like that 2012 LE. Where was I when all these sweet old brushes were being sold? I'll tell you where I was, deep down the rabbit hole of looking for my One true razor. lol... I'm close. Real close now. I hope I can find my One Brush sooner than it took me to find a razor!

Congrats!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Good to hear you're still liking it, Price.

The 2013 M&F Group Buy has probably passed into time out of mind for most, but it turned out to be life-changing for me, and the brush remains a benchmark.

Here are a couple camp-photos showing off mine (taken in June 2013 near Moab, Utah during a mountain biking trip with my son).

proxy.php

proxy.php

Nice! I do have a vintage butterscotch with an 18mm TGN knot that resides in a pill bottle in my travel kit (although I don't take it camping - that's some dedication, Chief!), but other than that the M&F Chief handles the duties.

I might have to look into the new BST rules...

Excellent!

I just pared down my collection to three brushes (Thater 3-band bulb, Shavemac 2-band fan, Plissoft). Not really missing anything right now, although maybe I'll try a boar again at some point.

I know the feeling. After receiving the Chief, most of my other brushes just stood there looking pretty. I had to put myself on a brush rotation purposely just so I could let it dry between uses. Its hard not using it all the time.

marty

I'm a very jealous man right now. I have some brushes that I really enjoy right now. But, I'm still really jealous!

Congrats!

Good to hear you're still liking it, Price.

The 2013 M&F Group Buy has probably passed into time out of mind for most, but it turned out to be life-changing for me, and the brush remains a benchmark.

Here are a couple camp-photos showing off mine (taken in June 2013 near Moab, Utah during a mountain biking trip with my son).

proxy.php

proxy.php
Fantastic photos!

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

I had an original Chief and traded it. It was just way too much bulb for my taste. The handle, though, was possibly the best I've ever used. I can say, though, that another one of Ken's brushes is my absolute favorite. I was able to pick up a butterscotch 47 from another forum and if the Chief had that knot, I really think I could sell every other brush and use just that one. It's that good.

I had an original Chief and traded it. It was just way too much bulb for my taste. The handle, though, was possibly the best I've ever used. I can say, though, that another one of Ken's brushes is my absolute favorite. I was able to pick up a butterscotch 47 from another forum and if the Chief had that knot, I really think I could sell every other brush and use just that one. It's that good.

Ken does offer semi bulbs and fans with the Paladin Chief. You could realize your dreams.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Fantastic photos!

Couple more field testing shots from that trip. Part of Slickrock mountain-bike trail is in the background. Brutal conditions for wet-shaving. The Chief and Cella performed admirably, although I had to adapt lathering method to get through two passes.

Other products used included a British ball-end LC NEW, an Astra SP blade, Thayer's Witch Hazel (rose), and Dominica Bay Rum with Lime.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom