What's new

One Brush…Three Choices

Happy owner of a Simpsons CL2; I’ve narrowed my search for a second quality brush down to three.

Though I’ve been wet shaving for decades, I’m new to (and enjoying) the subtleties and differences. So I’m hoping for experienced insights/comparisons on these choices :

1) Thater 4125 Size 1 (thanks for the tip, Timor)

2) Shavemac
Silvertip D01 (3-band). Bulb shape
24 mm with a loft of 52 mm

3) Muhle Synthetic

The first two are my main considerations at this point. Thinking I’ll end up w the Muhle eventually, regardless.

Thanks

Since you asked, I would go with the Shavemac! I have and enjoy his knots, especially the 2-band!!
:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:
Glad you chimed in, BigJ; as we seem to be together on the Classic CL2 admiration front. Can you tell me how the Shavemac would compare (similarities/differences)?

I wrote to Bernd; mentioning my CL2 and how I was looking for something different but still with some good backbone to it. The brush specs I'm quoting here were his recommendation. You mention how much you like his two band, but he did say three band. What is it you like about his 2 bands?

I've gone on the Configurator and set it up with a "Comment" asking for a tortoise band in the base. But, as I'm not familiar with the site; I'm not sure if that will be included in the order...so I sent an email asking about that. Waiting to hear back. I know he's busy.

The Thater gets a lotta love, too. It's a two band. So I'm still somewhat on the fence but leaning towards the Shavemac.

Glad you chimed in, BigJ; as we seem to be together on the Classic CL2 admiration front. Can you tell me how the Shavemac would compare (similarities/differences)?

I wrote to Bernd; mentioning my CL2 and how I was looking for something different but still with some good backbone to it. The brush specs I'm quoting here were his recommendation. You mention how much you like his two band, but he did say three band. What is it you like about his 2 bands?

I've gone on the Configurator and set it up with a "Comment" asking for a tortoise band in the base. But, as I'm not familiar with the site; I'm not sure if that will be included in the order...so I sent an email asking about that. Waiting to hear back. I know he's busy.

The Thater gets a lotta love, too. It's a two band. So I'm still somewhat on the fence but leaning towards the Shavemac.

Since you asked, the Classic 2 is a great brush for me. Mine is a ’hybrid’ in shape between bulb and fan.

The closest I have in Shavemac is my two beagles, interestingly one a bulb and the other a fan. Beagles were set 2 mm lower than the ’standard’ Shavemac setting in a handle similar to Simpson’s excellent eagle. The beagles provide outstanding backbone IMO, just right for face-lathering. The beagles are also 2-band rather than 3-band, perhaps as good as Shavemac gets IMO.

In other words, we are comparing three of my absolute favorite brushes!! :a29::a29:

Top Bottom