What's new

One blade one shave?

I was watching YouTube today and came across a gentleman who tosses his blade after every shave. He didn't seem to have a particularly heavy beard. I was wondering if anyone else follows this formula? I typically get 4-5 shaves per blade.

I think most blades I have tried work best after the first one because they seem to smooth out. Maybe they are very cheap blades, or maybe the shaver gets worse results after the first shave? Depends on the blade and the shaver I guess. Hope they are not Feathers, that would get expensive fast...

I think most blades I have tried work best after the first one because they seem to smooth out. Maybe they are very cheap blades, or maybe the shaver gets worse results after the first shave? Depends on the blade and the shaver I guess. Hope they are not Feathers, that would get expensive fast...
Like you I seem to prefer the second shave on a new blade. The gentleman in question seems to use a variety of top shelf blades. As you say an expensive business with Feathers! But as in all things YMMV!

Using a new DE blade for each shave can still mean that shaving this way is not expensive. Using each blade twice would make for a considerable saving.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
That is his choice to toss the blade after one use. Some other members here do the same thing. I personally aim for seven shaves per blade. I have found that some blades could keep on going and some are really done after three to four shaves. My father when he was DE shaving back in the 1950's and the 1960's used to get weeks out of one blade. Times were tough money wise, but he also never shaves ATG. Maybe that is why he got so long out of a blade. Each to his own. I personally find that some blades the first shave is terrible, then it smooths out and the next six are fine. On that note, if I tossed a blade after one shave all my shaves would be terrible.

I haven't found a stainless steel blade yet that wasn't better on its second shave (even third in many cases) than the first. I could probably do the shave-and-toss with the Treet black carbon steel blade, which I find gives its best performance on the first shave. Otherwise I would be tossing perfectly good shaves in the bin.

My father when he was DE shaving back in the 1950's and the 1960's used to get weeks out of one blade. Times were tough money wise, but he also never shaves ATG. Maybe that is why he got so long out of a blade.

I think one pass was more common then for exactly that reason. We are gifted now with incredibly efficient, very long lasting stainless steel blades that are dirt cheap and provide the ability to perform numerous multi-pass shaves. You just can't do that with any typical carbon steel blade of the era (at least I can't) :)

I know it's a personal thing but if I chucked my blade after one use I'd be missing out on the best shaves - 2 and 3.

Using a new DE blade for each shave can still mean that shaving this way is not expensive. Using each blade twice would make for a considerable saving.
Yes with the latest offerings from Gillette up to £3.00 GBP per blade you could probably use a new blade each pass and still save money lol!

You should be able to get at least 3 or 4 shaves out of any blade. I usually pitch a blade after I feel the coating is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My best shaves on a blade are after the first one or two. Then the blade smooths out for many comfortable shaves.

Better tossing 1 shave too soon than 1 shave too late is my motto. Usually 2 shaves a blade for me. If the 1st shave feels rough or draws blood, it's gone in one. If the second shave is smooth, I might go 3 (but it's never as good and requires more touchup). Do I really need to worry about extending a $.10 blade when I've got 700+ in stock? Tossing after 1 or 2 is still cheaper than the per shave cost of a cart. If you've got a light beard and can go more shaves, that's fine. To each his own.

I haven't found a stainless steel blade yet that wasn't better on its second shave (even third in many cases) than the first. I could probably do the shave-and-toss with the Treet black carbon steel blade, which I find gives its best performance on the first shave. Otherwise I would be tossing perfectly good shaves in the bin.

The coatings that make the blade slide easier over the skin and trough the whiskers also get on the very edge, thus blunting it. It takes a shave (stropping, basically) to get it off the edge.

Top Bottom