What's new

One blade one shave?

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
This is a really helpful thread for me. I'm a newbie to DE shaving -- after 30+ years of using cartridges -- and I've been surprised by the differences in blades from the first use to the last use. Now as a newbie, I am positive that my technique needs a ton of work, so my results below may largely be caused by angle, pressure, etc; but I am working my way through a sampler pack and here's what I've found so far:

• My razor is a Merkur 34c and my first DE shave ever was with the Astra SP blade. I'm positive it's just the learning curve, but my first shave was terrible -- weepers and razor burn. Second shave was better feeling but barely a SAS, so I decided to ditch the Astra and move to the Feather.
  • I was nervous about the sharpness of the feather and so I used a light touch, went slowly and paid attention to the angle and the direction of my hair growth, and voila -- a near DFS with no weepers and I didn't tear up using the alum block. 2nd thru 4th shaves felt smoother than the first, and while the blade could've kept going, I wanted to move on the Polisilver.
  • First shave with the Polisilver Super Iridium was torture. I had 3 days of growth and there was tugging and pulling on the first pass. The 2nd pass was slightly better and by the 3rd and final pass the shave felt better. Ultimately I had only one weeper and a bare-bones SAS, so I'm going to brave the blade today. I have a job interview this afternoon, so hopefully I won't look like I shaved with a broken bottle.
So that was a long post to say that while I know my technique is likely the biggest driver of my subpar and painful shaves, I'm also looking to tweak and/or control the easy stuff, like which blade to use and whether to cork or strop the blade before it's first use. That said, I do feel like the first shave of any blade is probably not the best performance indicator of how the blade will ultimately perform.

This is a really helpful thread for me. I'm a newbie to DE shaving -- after 30+ years of using cartridges -- and I've been surprised by the differences in blades from the first use to the last use. Now as a newbie, I am positive that my technique needs a ton of work, so my results below may largely be caused by angle, pressure, etc; but I am working my way through a sampler pack and here's what I've found so far:

• My razor is a Merkur 34c and my first DE shave ever was with the Astra SP blade. I'm positive it's just the learning curve, but my first shave was terrible -- weepers and razor burn. Second shave was better feeling but barely a SAS, so I decided to ditch the Astra and move to the Feather.
  • I was nervous about the sharpness of the feather and so I used a light touch, went slowly and paid attention to the angle and the direction of my hair growth, and voila -- a near DFS with no weepers and I didn't tear up using the alum block. 2nd thru 4th shaves felt smoother than the first, and while the blade could've kept going, I wanted to move on the Polisilver.
  • First shave with the Polisilver Super Iridium was torture. I had 3 days of growth and there was tugging and pulling on the first pass. The 2nd pass was slightly better and by the 3rd and final pass the shave felt better. Ultimately I had only one weeper and a bare-bones SAS, so I'm going to brave the blade today. I have a job interview this afternoon, so hopefully I won't look like I shaved with a broken bottle.
So that was a long post to say that while I know my technique is likely the biggest driver of my subpar and painful shaves, I'm also looking to tweak and/or control the easy stuff, like which blade to use and whether to cork or strop the blade before it's first use. That said, I do feel like the first shave of any blade is probably not the best performance indicator of how the blade will ultimately perform.

After you work your way though the samples, I would suggest going through them again, in reverse order, and forming your opinion of the blades on the second run through the blades. The first run through you are benchmarking yourself, second run through benchmarks the blades. :)

I usually get 10-15 shaves from a blade, but recently had a Feather blade that gave me 34 shaves. I didn't start getting the best shaves till after shave 5 or 6.
For me it was around 10-12 before it (a recent Feather blade) settled down. Now it's up to 16, and I'm going to see if it will go up to 75 like an Astra SP that's I've got set aside for further use.
I used to toss the Feathers after 6 or so.

Speaking of which...

I use Feather DE blades pretty much all the time and I love the way a brand new Feather blade shaves; sharp and smooth and close. If it wasn't for the fact that getting a second shave on a blade cuts my blade costs in half I would happily use a new one for each and every shave.

I have super sensitive skin, and I was getting irritation from most blades on shaves 2+, so I chuck most blades after 1 shave. At $.06-.13 (what most cost bulk), I don't think it matters a lot cost wise... Especially to keep irritation, bumps, and tugging away. That said, it depends on the blade. I always chuck a Treet and Rapira after 1, but sometimes I'll keep a Lord Platinum, Nacet, Astra SP, Personna Red, etc for 2-3. YMMV obviously.

+1 for smoother shaves on most blades after shave #1; and I usually get 4-6 shaves per blade.

From what I have read on this board, the noticeable difference could be negated by hand stropping. And this difference isn't even on all blades. But the only step necessary to reuse a blade (non-carbon) is to not remove it, unless you sling your razor around in such a fashion that the blade could become damaged.
Have never tried hand stropping a DE blade; I'm nervous enough just getting the blade in and out of my razor.

I started off with one blade/one shave and now I just keep the blade for a while until I feel like moving it on. The most I have gotten from one blade was nine shaves from a Perma-Sharp. I think I still have it somewhere and will use it again.

With my Polsilvers, the best shaves are 2-7 so I'd never throw after one shave.

Going a step further, I could Excalibur the Polsilver to about 15 shaves but after 7, the quality of the shave definitely drops.

I'm currently on the 9th shave and can see the difference in the shave, even though it's smooth but it doesn't look as close.

Going a step further, I could Excalibur the Polsilver to about 15 shaves but after 7, the quality of the shave definitely drops.

I'm currently on the 9th shave and can see the difference in the shave, even though it's smooth but it doesn't look as close.
Try dropping it into a more efficient razor Nav. :wink2:

Personally, I've found that most of the apparently deteriorating quality of blades is "all in the mind." I did a long run on a Polsilver SI a while back. When I'd used it numerous times in my most efficient razor... I went back to my least efficient razor and it was like a brand new blade again! :stuart: :yesnod:

Try dropping it into a more efficient razor Nav. :wink2:

Personally, I've found that most of the apparently deteriorating quality of blades is "all in the mind." I did a long run on a Polsilver SI a while back. When I'd used it numerous times in my most efficient razor... I went back to my least efficient razor and it was like a brand new blade again! :stuart: :yesnod:

Unfortunately I have that combination of light olive skin with dark stubble so I'm plagued with the dark shadow even after I shave. It looks smooth and all but the shadow is darker as the blade gets a bit older.

If I was happy with just the smoothness and not fussed about the shadow, I could probably get 20+ BBS shaves from a Polsilver but I prefer getting the post shave shadow to its lightest :)

I read somewhere that Benito Mussolini used blades once and tossed them. :001_302: I remember my father still using the carbon steel Blue Blades before stainless was well established. I don't think they lasted long.

I find, strangely, that my blades never get sharper after the first shave. Cutting through my beard somehow doesn't magically sharpen them. One and toss. YMMV. :001_smile

Top Bottom