What's new

One blade one shave?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
This is from another site I contribute to!
20180614_075336_crop_388x224[86891].jpg

I receive some of my best shaves on 2nd-4th shaves like most would have noticed over time using your favorite DE blades. They seem to be the sharpest and smoothest in this small range for me and most blades start to peak desired sharpness & smoothness around 4th or 5 th shave and start the slow degrading wear decline! Some claim it's a break in period from my research. It more than likely indicates some of the excess coatings wearing off from the beard whiskers stropping the edge a little from 1st shave producing a great edge! There is one online site I go to for blade reviews(more scientific with stats after physically shaving) and he has set up a elaborate testing system that usually indicates 2nd & 3rd shave gives the sharpest edge on most blades compared to brand new virgin edge. I'm not a scientist so explaining some wild formula is not going to happen today.
So don't throw the blade out after 1st use like a few do because you have thrown the best part of the blade away IMO!:yikes:(unless blade is damaged or is a mildly sharp blade from new-duds)
Have some great shaves.

Blades generally shave better after the 1st shave, as there is a slight push back in the treatment (PTFE) this slight push back or thinning helps to provide a better shave & better lubricity.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I usually get 10-15 shaves from a blade, but recently had a Feather blade that gave me 34 shaves. I didn't start getting the best shaves till after shave 5 or 6.

I think most blades shave differently after the first use. I can imagine someone, because of their beard or razor or technique, actually liking that first shave better. But I am with the majority - I enjoy a fresh blade, but I like a slightly-used blade better.

I’m not using DE blades, but I get about 12 shaves per blade. (I also hand-strop and flip the blade after every shave.)

I usually get 10-15 shaves from a blade, but recently had a Feather blade that gave me 34 shaves. I didn't start getting the best shaves till after shave 5 or 6.

How many cuppa's can you get out of a single teabag and how many does it take before you get the best brew? Just asking for science lol

Roll of the dice (6 shaves) shaves 2-4 are the best as some here already mention the coatings blunt the blade thus the first shave serves as stropping the blade, if I notice some tugging on shave #5 it wont reach shave #6

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
How many cuppa's can you get out of a single teabag and how many does it take before you get the best brew? Just asking for science lol

Brewed in a mug, one bag, one brew. Leaf in a pot is different. Fill and pour the tea off immediately to remove dust etc, then refill and brew but don't stew. Reuse and extend brew time as required. Number of additional brews varies to how much tea is used, and own taste preference. I do know people who reuse tea bags, but they prefer a weaker tea to me.

For me it depends on the blade. If I have an awful first shave I'll usually give the blade another try, but if the bad behaviour continues it goes into the marmite pot blade bank.
I get three shaves out of most blades and sometimes more - but I shave ATG from the very first stroke, which may shorten their lives a little.

Before I started DE shaving, I would get professionally shaved and it was always two blades (half blades) on my head and a third on my face, wherever I went, so I did the same. I've been shaving my face twice a week and my head once or twice with an Astra SP, almost exclusively, for the last 3.5 years and now I've started testing Polsilver. Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, and Rubie, are up next, but is it really worth it reusing a blade for the second shave? Regardless of cost savings or adding a step to my routine to clean and store a used blade or for whatever other reason one chooses to reuse blades, is it a noticeably better shave?

Before I started DE shaving, I would get professionally shaved and it was always two blades (half blades) on my head and a third on my face, wherever I went, so I did the same. I've been shaving my face twice a week and my head once or twice with an Astra SP, almost exclusively, for the last 3.5 years and now I've started testing Polsilver. Gillette Silver Blue, Nacet, and Rubie, are up next, but is it really worth it reusing a blade for the second shave? Regardless of cost savings or adding a step to my routine to clean and store a used blade or for whatever other reason one chooses to reuse blades, is it a noticeably better shave?
From what I have read on this board, the noticeable difference could be negated by hand stropping. And this difference isn't even on all blades. But the only step necessary to reuse a blade (non-carbon) is to not remove it, unless you sling your razor around in such a fashion that the blade could become damaged.

On your last point then yes - it is a noticeably better shave with some blades.
Polsilver SI are better on shave 2, imho, as are German Wilkinson Sword, Dorco Prime Platinum, Perma Sharp Super and a few others.
The main test is - are you still getting the shave you want? Sometimes shave 2 is much better than shave 1 imho - it's as if the blade has been "broken in".
By the way, Rubies don't work for me at all. An Astra SP gives me really bad irritation on the neck, unlike Astra SS.
We've all got different faces and whiskers! :001_smile

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
With 7 days of growth for how many shaves would you hold the blade?

The blade doesn't cut any more hair on 7 day growth than one day growth. How much hair is above the blade when it's cut is irrelevant in my opinion. When I was narrowing my goatee a few shaves ago, I was removing up to three months growth. An open comb took care of that easily.

The blade doesn't cut any more hair on 7 day growth than one day growth. How much hair is above the blade when it's cut is irrelevant in my opinion. When I was narrowing my goatee a few shaves ago, I was removing up to three months growth. An open comb took care of that easily.
Didn't think of that! It is true I believe. What the blade it is to cut, it will be cut..
I keep my blade for 3-4 shaves.

I was watching YouTube today and came across a gentleman who tosses his blade after every shave. He didn't seem to have a particularly heavy beard. I was wondering if anyone else follows this formula? I typically get 4-5 shaves per blade.
Heck no! Most blades get better and sharper and smoother after the first shave on them.

I like to use a blade until it starts to skip on hairs and draws some minor blood. At that point I know its dull beyond salvation.

Top Bottom