What's new

Once Upon A Stubble

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Wow, that's a significant amount of displacement and I can now see the point of having those 'tabs' now. Do you think it's necessary to have the tabs exposed or very close to the edge of the cap, so it is somewhat adjustable?

Ideally, I would love to find a 'suitable' razor that has good rigidity and with features to align the blade, so the exposed tab is not necessary. But I don't know whether different brands of blades would have large enough of size difference/variance that this feature is actually necessary to ensure a good shave.

It depends on the design of the razor. Fatips use alignment pins the same as Gillette Old Types. All razors that use that pin system may need to have the blade aligned when loaded, even the Merkur 34C.

Later razor designs, like the Gillette NEW types, have a different design and the blade has never failed to be perfectly aligned every time in my experience.

Blade alignment is really a minor gripe and its easy to overcome. Sometimes, as is the case with Fatip, at the moment at least, is the blade sometimes needs adjusting.

Blade type, while there are a very minor differences in hole spacing, makes no difference really.

Page 6 Summary

Esox
: Lather Slickness vs Cushion

On my own
Finishing the 6 good/safe shaves with Futur at Setting 1, and started a new "6 good shaves" testing on Rockwell 6S and continue my quest for a baseline razor.

Thinking back about my brief experience about Futur, I think it is a very 'effective' razor and it felt quite aggressive as newbie. I started out with a higher setting of 3 and had no idea what I was doing right from the start. Now in retrospect, that's was totally unnecessary since I could get a close comfortable shave even with a setting 1 with 1.5-2 passes.

Futur has a pretty big head which makes shaving under the nose even more challenging for a newbie, and it's slightly more difficult to learn the angle when you can't see too well with a big head. The razor has good audible feedback(as compare to Rockwell 6S, which is pretty quiet), and the zero pressure is absolutely true since the razor is hefty and the weight does indeed do all the work. Esox has introduced me to the blade rigidity aspect of a razor, though I haven't shaved enough with different razors to really tell the difference, but I sometimes do feel the blade inside the Futur does 'chatter' or vibrate a little when I am shaving some tough spots, and the shave felt less "smooth".

Through out these shaves, one thing I'd learn is to get close to the mirror and learn how to 'map' the face, and be really sensitive about pain. The only time I really did get weeper/nick is when I ignore the discomfort and soldier on. There is nothing to gain here, and just all downside if I don't respect pain.

A brief thank you to Aimlesswanderer, Esox and TinyT. These fine gentlemen had greatly helped me with this journey, and I had learned so much from them.

I probably will summarize more about the Rockwell 6S, when I get a chance to shave more with it.

Date: Mar 30, 2020 (Day 21)

Gear: Rockwell 6s(new gear), Astra SP(2), TOBS St. James, Simpsons M7 Super badger (new gear), Timeless shaving bowl(new gear)

Cond
: 2-3mm whiskers

Prep: Hot Shower, only shampoo on beard, lather pre-shave rub-in, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass Rockwell 6S@6, 98% finished
2nd pass same, very light XTG under nose, buffing, underchin ATG
3rd pass didn't need it

Post Shave: Alum block, Lucky Tiger and Nivea sensitive

Conclusion: This is 2nd time shaving with Rockwell 6S, and I felt it is a much 'smoother' experience. I purposely palm strop the Astra SP, about 20 times on each "side" (total 80 times). Not sure it's the palm stropping, or my thicker lather this time, I do feel it is much smoother.

The super badger Simpsons M7 felt fantastic on face, it's a lot less scratchy than my crappy boar brush. Combining this with the timeless bowl, I think it does wipe up the lather pretty nicely. Even though it's a 22mm brush, because of its density, I do feel a fair amount of 'resistance' when swirling inside the timeless bowl when it's going over the 'ridges' inside the bowl. And it does flop a little more than I expected, but I am not too sure because my lather is way too thick so the hair clump together or it is what it is with a soft badger hair brush. For now, I tend to favor thicker lather for its cushioning effect. But I do notice if it's too 'thick', it tends to get dry and cake on my face if I take too long to shave.

Personally, I don't think I have really a great gasp of what is an optimal thickness of lather, so I gonna reserve any opinion on the Simpsons M7 until later time. But I do have really good feeling towards the brush, especially how soft it felt even on the very first use. I did shampoo and swirl with it a little when I first got it, and the hair is already starting to split a little, so I expect the break in process shouldn't be way too long.

The end result is a pretty close shave, CCS/DFS. No weepers, alum stings as usual, and the face feel normal after 15-30min after the post shave Lucky tiger and Nivea application

Last weeper/irritation: 8 shaves ago (2nd shave with 6S)

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thicker lather does feel smoother during the shave, largely because it's muffling feedback, in my opinion. Personally, I prefer to take that blindfold off, and know exactly how it's treating my skin, right as it happens. That way I can adjust as I go, and avoid/minimise skin damage. Another way of saying it, is that the alum has more chance of stinging after the shave, if you didn't feel the blade scraping the skin during the shave.

You're getting alum stinging on a CCS finish, so your blade is hurting the skin (even though you're not feeling it at the time) yet still not removing all the stubble in it's entirety. Please note, I'm not being critical here, Chi - just bringing stuff into awareness.

Another thing to be mindful of is that some soap ingredients can cause irritation to some people, and so can brush burn (I got that once from a slow lathering soap. Not pleasant). As such, if the alum tells you that your skin is irritated, there are other things that can cause it other than poor technique.

As to what optimum lather is for you, judge both the feeling during the shave, and afterwards (including whatever the alum tells you). I think you're using it too thick, but you'll need to play around with it a little. Also, different products may need different lather consistencies. I tend to have to mix creams thicker than soaps to get good performance, but that thicker cream can often lead to a bigger telling off by the alum/aftershave afterwards. As such my lather and handling both need subtle changes with every change in product to get a shave of the standard I expect of myself.

To confuse things even further, the brush affects the lather too. So whenever you hit that perfect lather, that's only perfect for that brush and that soap/cream. Changing one thing changes everything ;)

Thicker lather does feel smoother during the shave, largely because it's muffling feedback, in my opinion. Personally, I prefer to take that blindfold off, and know exactly how it's treating my skin, right as it happens. That way I can adjust as I go, and avoid/minimise skin damage. Another way of saying it, is that the alum has more chance of stinging after the shave, if you didn't feel the blade scraping the skin during the shave.
I am still in process to find the right balance between 'slickness' vs 'cushioning' as Esox put it earlier, though if I have to err, I tend to err on the safer side of too much cushioning.

What strike me as interesting is I have seen many folks lathering up and shaving on youtube, and the range is so wide that's not even funny. I'd seen people preaching 'light pressure' while they are able to scrap/shave their face until it totally depressed in, and lather so 'foamy' that it's practically all bubbles and do not resemble 'yogurt' whatsoever; it sometimes could be confusing when you try to learn how to shave by watching these folks butchering their face with no harm done.

You're getting alum stinging on a CCS finish, so your blade is hurting the skin (even though you're not feeling it at the time) yet still not removing all the stubble in it's entirety. Please note, I'm not being critical here, Chi - just bringing stuff into awareness.
No worries, my skin could be sensitive, but I have a pretty thick face when it comes time to listen. :biggrin:

I can't say I have perfect grasp of the definition of CCS or DFS, and I think usually the result is a mixture of both. I think BBS is absolutely no feel of stumble in whatever direction, and DFS is feel of stumble if it is going ATG? Then the last shave is actually mostly DFS for me, except underchin and under nose is more 'CCS'.

My hair growth is not very heavy, but I have a feeling my beard could still be somewhat coarse to cut. Basically with the 1st pass WTG, I could probably get to SAS/CCS under nose, and if I do a XTG in 2nd pass, then I have a decent change to get to CCS under nose. However as my skin is sensitive, I have a feeling I need to carefully balance between razor/blade aggressiveness/sharpness vs how many passes vs choice of XTG/WTG/ATG, while my technique slowly improving.

And I am guessing the alum 'stings' may work differently for different people, and I do have a boat load of questions regarding its use: do the sensitive skin get slightly more sting than most other people? And do 'close' shave always have some alum sting or can you actually have a really close shave without 'sting' if you skin is sensitive or thin?

Just trying to diagnose the issue and improve.

Another thing to be mindful of is that some soap ingredients can cause irritation to some people, and so can brush burn (I got that once from a slow lathering soap. Not pleasant). As such, if the alum tells you that your skin is irritated, there are other things that can cause it other than poor technique.
Totally agree. I got that pretty bad brush burn with my boar brush and when I tried to face lather the very first time I shave. And proraso white actually burns my skin within seconds, even if I just gently apply it on face without brush and before shave.

As to what optimum lather is for you, judge both the feeling during the shave, and afterwards (including whatever the alum tells you). I think you're using it too thick, but you'll need to play around with it a little. Also, different products may need different lather consistencies. I tend to have to mix creams thicker than soaps to get good performance, but that thicker cream can often lead to a bigger telling off by the alum/aftershave afterwards. As such my lather and handling both need subtle changes with every change in product to get a shave of the standard I expect of myself.

To confuse things even further, the brush affects the lather too. So whenever you hit that perfect lather, that's only perfect for that brush and that soap/cream. Changing one thing changes everything ;)
Understood and agreed. I think the Simpsons Trifalgar synthetic is nice but it does release water much better and the lather might have been slightly too wet for the previous shave, while in this shave, I might have overcompensated with too much cream and result in a much denser lather than last time. Anyhow, I still would say these brushes with new shaving bowls are still way, way better an experience than doing it with a really stiff brush with a glass bowl, which that takes much longer to build lather and no joy to use.

But less variable, more likely the consistent result. I do totally agree.

What strike me as interesting is I have seen many folks lathering up and shaving on youtube, and the range is so wide that's not even funny. I'd seen people preaching 'light pressure' while they are able to scrap/shave their face until it totally depressed in, and lather so 'foamy' that it's practically all bubbles and do not resemble 'yogurt' whatsoever; it sometimes could be confusing when you try to learn how to shave by watching these folks butchering their face with no harm done.

I've alternated between watching shaving videos on a regular basis and none at all, more watching when I was starting out. While I've found it useful and learnt a lot I always get better shaves when I'm not watching how anyone else does it. It's taken me some time to understand that what works for me is all that matters but of course I'll read about something that someone else does and think to myself 'I'll give that a try'. But, I always get better shaves when I shave my own way.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't watch shaving videos. Some of them really make me cringe, as I know what a mess of my face if I did what they're doing. :scared: Buffing - or scrubbing as I call it - would leave me unable to shave for a week! So would the sort of shave that you can see heavily deflecting the skin. My face may be "well weathered" in some respects, but it's still sensitive.

As to how the alum feels to sensitive skin, and whether that sensitivity is the alum itself, rather than the alum on damaged skin, use the alum block on one of the days between your shaves. Any more sensation that that after a shave, is skin damage. :wink:

I can get a BBS shave with zero alum feedback, but not every time. I'm more likely to get "a little tickle/tingle" rather than a sting (very minor feedback) and most often (and most sensitive) either side of the Adams apple, where the skin is less smooth. Also, I don't chase BBS every shave - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - and frequently have DFS below the jawline. By the way, your understanding of the acronyms matches mine :thumbsup:

If I have a "normal" shave, BBS above the jaw, DFS+ below, then I might feel a little alum tingle as mentioned above. If I just do one or two passes and settle for CCS/DFS (which I do fairly often), I would expect zero feedback of any kind.

I've alternated between watching shaving videos on a regular basis and none at all, more watching when I was starting out. While I've found it useful and learnt a lot I always get better shaves when I'm not watching how anyone else does it. It's taken me some time to understand that what works for me is all that matters but of course I'll read about something that someone else does and think to myself 'I'll give that a try'. But, I always get better shaves when I shave my own way.
It is so very true. Just kinda comical to see all these shaving "elites" say zero pressure to the camera, and then go on scrapping their face left and right, unlimited buffing without lather, it was there and then I knew there's a reason why they were on youtube shaving, because they all had cow hide skin.

I don't watch shaving videos. Some of them really make me cringe, as I know what a mess of my face if I did what they're doing. :scared: Buffing - or scrubbing as I call it - would leave me unable to shave for a week! So would the sort of shave that you can see heavily deflecting the skin. My face may be "well weathered" in some respects, but it's still sensitive.

As to how the alum feels to sensitive skin, and whether that sensitivity is the alum itself, rather than the alum on damaged skin, use the alum block on one of the days between your shaves. Any more sensation that that after a shave, is skin damage. :wink:
Good trick, and gonna admit it must be some form of 'skin damage', since it doesn't feel much on cheek even after shave.

I am thinking wet shaving alone will always induce some form of skin damage, and maybe the process itself just need some getting used to. As much as I like the 'hovering' technique, there's no way it will give a BBS shave if the blade is not really close(or lightly touching) the skin. All I can say for now is I am not hurrying myself to a BBS at the cost of irritation/cuts, and this is my goal to work towards a sting-less closer shave in the near future.

I can get a BBS shave with zero alum feedback, but not every time. I'm more likely to get "a little tickle/tingle" rather than a sting (very minor feedback) and most often (and most sensitive) either side of the Adams apple, where the skin is less smooth. Also, I don't chase BBS every shave - just because you can, doesn't mean you should - and frequently have DFS below the jawline. By the way, your understanding of the acronyms matches mine :thumbsup:

If I have a "normal" shave, BBS above the jaw, DFS+ below, then I might feel a little alum tingle as mentioned above. If I just do one or two passes and settle for CCS/DFS (which I do fairly often), I would expect zero feedback of any kind.
:ouch1: That's the difference between 20+ years of shaving skill vs less than 2 months.

Date: Apr 2 , 2020 (Day 22)

Gear: Rockwell 6s(new gear), Astra SP(3), TOBS St. James, Simpsons M7 Super badger, Timeless shaving bowl

Cond
: 2-3mm whiskers

Prep: Hot Shower, only shampoo on beard, lather pre-shave rub-in, Hot towel, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass Rockwell 6S@6, 97% finished
2nd pass same, very careful XTG under nose, buffing, underchin ATG
3rd pass didn't need it

Post Shave: Alum block, Lucky Tiger and Nivea sensitive

Conclusion:
Maybe I was shooting for a 'cleaner' shave, I took slightly more risk than usual to try to achieve a cleaner shave.

Well, overall was an ok experience, CCS+/DFS shave, but a weeper over a small bump I didn't notice right over the transitioning area from chin to underchin.

After a month long of shaving, I personally think the 'zero pressure' could be 'over rated' and it may not apply so well to my case. Having really sensitive light skin and pretty coarse hair(I just remembered my hairdresser told me once about that, Asian's black hair generally is little coarser than Caucasian and mine is considered pretty coarse amongst my peers), if I really did use 'zero pressure', all the razor ever does was just skipped and hopped over all the place. That was proven true even with an aggressive razor like Futur with Feather blade. However, having said that, some minimum pressure is needed to keep razor steady while the razor trying to cut the hair.

Secondly, I think finding that baseline razor, where I could strike the delicate balance between effectiveness vs clean shaving, felt more and more important. While I do enjoy the effective 1-1.5 pass CCS/DFS shave, if I do more passes with the current 'aggressiveness' or setting, it is likely I might irritate my skin. Meanwhile, if I were to use something milder, so as long I don't apply extra pressure, the 2-3 passes may allow me to attain a closer shave, or at least a more uniform DFS.

Some area under nose is particular problematic, and I realize it's just not only because it was tighter space and the hair is coarse. What I notice is the pores are generally larger and they are 'protruding' over the skin. And that unevenness of skin could be what making XTG under nose so easily irritating.

Anyhow, I gonna remind myself next time to feel the overall condition of face before the shave, so I will remember to shave lightly around the bumps.

Last weeper/irritation: Weeper on this shave, the clock reset on next shave.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
After a month long of shaving, I personally think the 'zero pressure' could be 'over rated' and it may not apply so well to my case. <snip> if I really did use 'zero pressure', all the razor ever does was just skipped and hopped over all the place.

Whereabouts on the handle are you holding the razor?

What I notice is the pores are generally larger and they are 'protruding' over the skin. And that unevenness of skin could be what making XTG under nose so easily irritating.

Only good things will come from understanding your skin better like that :thumbsup: My skin is less even either side of my Adams apple, and those raised pores are an area I have to be careful on. When checking how close the shave is I touch only very lightly with the finger, as if I rubbed harder, it might feel like stubble, even though it's actually under the skin. To get "closer" on stubble like that, you're removing the tops of those pores to shorten the hair shaft.

One thing daily shavers might find is a desensitisation of those areas, as the tops of those pores are never fully growing back. If I don't shave for a week or more, I might well get more alum feedback there too, so there's a good chance I'm doing that myself, to some extent.

Anyhow, I gonna remind myself next time to feel the overall condition of face before the shave, so I will remember to shave lightly around the bumps.

Last weeper/irritation: Weeper on this shave, the clock reset on next shave.

Everything you're doing is great, Chi. :thumbup: There's a lot of newcomers to wet shaving who would still be getting far more cuts and irritation than you at this stage. Sometimes I wonder if they're shaving or whittling their faces smooth :D It's good to see that you're obviously enjoying it too. How many years of boring and tedious shaves did you do before you heard the calling? :p

As to those "speed bumps" as I call them, that pop up between shaves, they can catch us all out from time to time. Another benefit of the thinner lather, is you can feel the change as you hit one, and stop!

Whereabouts on the handle are you holding the razor?
Usually right around the 'balance point'--Futur is right around the recess part and 6S is right around where the knurling begins. Most of the razors I have now are generally more heavy and I don't mind that, the only caution I take is to make sure I don't hold it too far back so the head don't fall by itself too much.

Only good things will come from understanding your skin better like that :thumbsup: My skin is less even either side of my Adams apple, and those raised pores are an area I have to be careful on. When checking how close the shave is I touch only very lightly with the finger, as if I rubbed harder, it might feel like stubble, even though it's actually under the skin. To get "closer" on stubble like that, you're removing the tops of those pores to shorten the hair shaft.

One thing daily shavers might find is a desensitisation of those areas, as the tops of those pores are never fully growing back. If I don't shave for a week or more, I might well get more alum feedback there too, so there's a good chance I'm doing that myself, to some extent.
You are quite right about those pores, you could kinda see the hair but technically they are under pores. Since they are concentrated under my nose, I do have to pay extra attention to how best shave them. The area under nose is basically a curvature, and if I tug my skin too tight by sucking in the lips, somehow I felt it agitate those pores even more. For now, the only effective way to shave that area, without a thin razor cap, is basically XTG, but my dilemma is those pores tend to be slightly more bumpy and sensitive, making the maneuver more confusing than usual.

Everything you're doing is great, Chi. :thumbup: There's a lot of newcomers to wet shaving who would still be getting far more cuts and irritation than you at this stage. Sometimes I wonder if they're shaving or whittling their faces smooth :D It's good to see that you're obviously enjoying it too. How many years of boring and tedious shaves did you do before you heard the calling? :p

As to those "speed bumps" as I call them, that pop up between shaves, they can catch us all out from time to time. Another benefit of the thinner lather, is you can feel the change as you hit one, and stop!
Thanks for the encouragement! It's been probably 20+ years of electric shaving after I dumped the disposables, and to be honest, nothing wrong with electrical, it does offer me quick and painless CCS/CCS- shave almost everytime. I pickup wet shaving more for the fun and luxurious factor, than the practical.

The area under nose is basically a curvature, and if I tug my skin too tight by sucking in the lips, somehow I felt it agitate those pores even more.

I have a similar issue directly under my lower lip. Instead of curling my lip back over my bottom teeth, I just drop my jaw half an inch and keep my mouth closed. Then I shave WTG only, N-S both passes and try to follow the curvature of my face in that particular area by adjusting the angle on the move. When it comes to stretching and face pulling I'm firmly in the less is more camp. I try to keep everything relaxed, nothing strained or over tightened. Gently does it. Breathing helps, but I often forget about that part, lol.

Date: Apr 5, 2020 (Day 23)

Gear: Rockwell 6s, Astra SP(1), TOBS St. James, Simpsons M7 Super badger, Timeless shaving bowl

Cond: 2-3mm whiskers

Prep: Hot Shower, shampoo on beard, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass Rockwell 6S@6, 97% finished
3rd pass didn't need it

Post Shave: Alum block, Thayers and Nivea sensitive

Conclusion:
DFS/CCS+ shave. Since I got weeper from the last shave, the counter reset and I try to get everything right as much as I can this time. Tossed away the blade and put in a new Astra SP, and instead of hydrating the beard with hot water, I switch to cold water before the shave. Otherwise, everything remains the same.

Last I talked about the coarse hair and pores under the nose, I have come to realize those are probably here to stay. Unless I 'desensitize' them like Al said, I probably will continue to feel some kind of alum sting with them regardless, if I want to have a close shave(not even talking about BBS, but more like DFS). One new trick is the cold water rinse before, during and after the shave. I think that may help calm down the pores, and as much as I like the feeling of warm rinse, lather or razor. I switch everything to cold and that does feel like it may calm the skin and nerves.

Also, instead of tugging the skin tight to present the 'skin' under nose to the razor, I merely try to keep them flat for this shave. Excessive 'tugging' seems to irritate the skin more, and if the skin is slightly relaxed, it may allow some 'give', and the razor will 'scrap' the skin less even if it is touching. This trick has worked quite well, and it was very obvious especially for the chin/under chin transitional area.

I still try to do a very light XTG under nose to get a "closer" shave, but have been ultra careful since the skin there does feel slightly raw even after the 1st pass.

Anyhow, the rest of the shave is pretty smooth and enjoyable. Alum still has a little tingle around chin area, and little sting, but it's a lot less than last time. Skin feel normal after 1/2-1 hour.

Last weeper/irritation: Today being the 1st shave without incident

This is the 3rd shaving test trial with Rockwell @ R6 (I will only move to the next razor whenever I get 6 or more good shave from the same razor)

The easiest solution to removing the sting from alum, is to not use alum. :001_tongu
:lol: I like how you think...

I actually started out with absolutely no post shave products since they don't arrive almost a month later. But I think alum at least maybe a good learning tool to tell me any potential minor discomfort I might be having without the redness or weeper.

Any good reason to skip it or alternative?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
:lol: I like how you think...

I actually started out with absolutely no post shave products since they don't arrive almost a month later. But I think alum at least maybe a good learning tool to tell me any potential minor discomfort I might be having without the redness or weeper.

Any good reason to skip it or alternative?

I understand using it as a learning tool and it might even be good for the skin post shave, I dont know. I've never used it lol.

If I have irritation I dont need something to tell me I do, I already know. As you progress, you'll become keenly aware of that without using anything. The only thing I do after a shave is a quick wipe with a damp hand towel.

Date: Apr 8, 2020 (Day 24)

Gear: Rockwell 6s, Astra SP(2), TOBS St. James, Simpsons M7 Super badger, Pereira Shavery Unbreakable Lather Bowl(new gear)

Prep: Hot Shower, shampoo on beard, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass Rockwell 6S@6, 98% finished
3rd pass didn't need it

Post Shave: Alum block, Lucky tiger and Nivea sensitive

Conclusion:
DFS/CCS+ shave, it is easily one of the best shaves since the start, as if the stars were aligned and the sky parted with angels singing. I think maybe the subtle difference is I have paid particular close attention to not stretch the skin too tight so it could give a little while making sure the pressure and angle is right.

The cold water regiment is also working quite well. Instead of making everything warm, I just make the lather in room temperature and keep the razor and rinse cool with cold water.

The Pereira Shave bowl did really well, I actually like it even more than the Timeless bowl. It is a much larger bowl which fits probably even the larger brush. Also the 'ridges' in the bowl are just the right height to help create friction, while the Timeless was a tad bit too high and thus create a lot of drag when you swirl to create lather.

I had been doing quite a bit of lathering exercise with different brands, cream or soap and with both synthetic and badger, and I think it's safe to say I genuinely do like the Pereia bowl better than the Timeless. It's just a better iteration and a lot more accommodating to any larger brush than 24mm.

Alum does still sting a little, but not long at all. And skin feel normal after 15-30min.

Last weeper/irritation: 2 shaves ago

This is the 4rd shaving test trial with Rockwell @ R6 (I will only move to the next razor whenever I get 6 or more good shave from the same razor)

Date: Apr 11, 2020 (Day 25)

Gear: Rockwell 6s, Astra SP(3), TOBS St. James, Simpsons M7 Super badger, Pereira Shavery Unbreakable Lather Bowl

Prep: No shower, but a lot of water rinsing beard, lather pre-shave rub-in, cold water rinse, Taconic Pre-shave oil

Shave:
1st pass Rockwell 6S@6, 90% finished
3rd pass didn't need it

Post Shave: Alum block, Thayers and Nivea sensitive

Conclusion:
DFS/CCS shave. The biggest change in this shave is doing it without the shower. I wanted to see how I could shave without shower, so I could cut down my time in the bathroom. And rinsing beard/soaking chin wet with tap water for couple minutes while soaking my brush does the trick well.

Rest of the shave is pretty routine and uneventful, and I can certainly get use to that. On this third shave of the same blade, I could mildly feel the blade is slightly less sharp than previous two shaves. However, the change is gradual, unlike the Feather which the performance drop from 1st to 2nd shave is very obvious.

I think my face maybe slowly acclimatizing to wet shaving. It felt slightly 'less' sensitive, especially the trouble spots right under nose and transitional area at chin.

I'd paid more attention and focus more on ATG underchin for this shave, and the end result is a DFS/BBS which I am happy about.

Alum stings a little, this time mainly under chin since I focus more on that area. And skin feel normal after 10-15min.

Last weeper/irritation: 3 shaves ago

This is the 5rd shaving test trial with Rockwell @ R6 (I will only move to the next razor whenever I get 6 or more good shave from the same razor)

Top Bottom