What's new

Once technique is perfected, what's next?

I am so stoked to finally get a razor burn free shave, each & every time. A lot of guys here preach about pressure, but for me the key to a pain free shave was proper blade angle. Slicing hairs at the shaft rather than scraping my face is a revelation.

What's the next step up in the DE shaving process? I'm thinking about adding alcohol products into my routine, but I'm 38 and have never used an aftershave splash before. Always been averse to alcohol due to the stinging, but now I feel like the gates are open to experiment with more manly products.

And there's no way I'm switching to a straight razor, I have a Feather Artist Club but plan to sell it. I'm sold on DE, a slant & good blades. Seems like I've gone way overboard with the software though. With my face no longer on fire after a shave I'm not sure what to do with the cooling gel, aftershave balms, etc, etc.

Is this a normal progression for a noob? Let the process overtake your life for a month, spend $ like everyday is payday, then realize too much actually is too much. :lol:

I'm also wondering if anyone has looked into fixing their skin once they perfect the shave. I've been scraping my face for nearly 25 years, no doubt there are battle scars.

Is this a normal progression for a noob? Let the process overtake your life for a month, spend $ like everyday is payday, then realize too much actually is too much.

That's how it worked for me. Eventually, you settle into a routine. I have a variety of different software items to keep things interesting. When I use a few things up that I wasn't in love with, I replace them with something new and different.

The only constants for me have been witch hazel, brush and blades (Astra SP, although I want to try Gillette Silver Blues). I have already purchased another razor, switched from soap to cream and added an ASB to my routine. I like my routine right now, although there are a few things on the horizon.

I have a few acne scars from when I was a teenager but I'm not too worried about them.

Sounds like you have found your "routine"

Good preparation (making sure you invest the time pre-shave to hydrate and prepare your beard)

Proper blade angle (and not just at the beginning of the stoke, never varying the angle start to finish)

Short rapid strokes not long mowing ones.

Stretching your skin where you are shaving.

Once all of these are second nature and you no longer need to think "lock the wrist, move the whole arm, moving your other hand into the right location and pulling before your razor gets there", then you can enjoy all of the products that are out there as you will get a perfect shave regardless of what you use if you have the basics down to a "no thinking required shave"

If you want to mix in some alcohol after shave splash, you may want to start by putting a dollop of your balm in your hand then adding splash to it and mixing/blending before applying.

This will do a couple of things. First it will add in some balm which will help mellow the alcohol but you will still get the sting of the splash (though not as shocking as splash alone). IT will also help you burn through your stock of balms and soothing gels.

Congrats! What are you currently using as far as razor and soaps and what prep?

I am so stoked to finally get a razor burn free shave, each & every time. A lot of guys here preach about pressure, but for me the key to a pain free shave was proper blade angle. Slicing hairs at the shaft rather than scraping my face is a revelation.

What's the next step up in the DE shaving process? I'm thinking about adding alcohol products into my routine, but I'm 38 and have never used an aftershave splash before. Always been averse to alcohol due to the stinging, but now I feel like the gates are open to experiment with more manly products.

And there's no way I'm switching to a straight razor, I have a Feather Artist Club but plan to sell it. I'm sold on DE, a slant & good blades. Seems like I've gone way overboard with the software though. With my face no longer on fire after a shave I'm not sure what to do with the cooling gel, aftershave balms, etc, etc.

Is this a normal progression for a noob? Let the process overtake your life for a month, spend $ like everyday is payday, then realize too much actually is too much. :lol:

I'm also wondering if anyone has looked into fixing their skin once they perfect the shave. I've been scraping my face for nearly 25 years, no doubt there are battle scars.

Trying different razors and blades may be a good direction to go. Just when I thought I found a winning combination the next one was even better until I felt that I had spent enough time & money to settle on a go to setup.

Once my technique was good I started playing with the Vintage Gillette Razors. It's fun to see how well these old razors shave.

Maybe focus on narrowing your den down to the items you really love to use.

I find that I don't care for the splashes anywhere near as much as I like the balms.
Even if you prefer splashes, the balms and cooling gels are still great to have around, especially in the winter when the elements take a toll on your skin.

I'm also wondering if anyone has looked into fixing their skin once they perfect the shave. I've been scraping my face for nearly 25 years, no doubt there are battle scars

Normal progression. Basically..... except that I still have not realized that too much is too much.

As for fixing your skin..... I have felt this way once I started getting basically irritation free shaves. I took a major step in the appearance of my facial skin and complextion when I started using BHA's and AHA's. BHA in the form of salicylic acid (acne cream.... even though I don't particularly suffer from acne) and AHA in the form of a glycolic acid cream (Baxter of California AHA Night Cream). Those two additions to my skincare routine really made a huge difference in keeping the occasional in grown hairs or razor bumps at bay.... and really cleared up my complextion and evened out my skin tone in general. The AHA night cream works like an exfoliator and removes dead skin while you sleep. The BHA is anti-inflammotary and reduces irritation and redness.

Ben

If I use my favo blade (Permasharp) I get a full BBS without any nick or irritation. That's enough for me. I own one straight razor maybe that's my next move.

-Ikon Slant w/feather, med preps, astra sp blades. I also have an R89, my starter DE. (Will sell it once my 45 days is up)

-I pre shave with hot towels, even purchased a $20 veggie steamer. It works great! I apply a pre shave oil or cream before the 2nd hot towel.

- I use soaps and creams, mostly the high end stuff like MWF, Dreadnought, Stirling. And also brushless creams like Cremo and Port Product. Lately it seems like the creams are where its at, but I have so much software...

- Post shave is Kiehls alchohol free toner then thayers superhazel. From there I use either Baxter AS or Jack Blacks MP10 oil, as I'm trying an ORT (oil replacement therapy).

In my bath vanity sits about $150 worth of excellent products which are geared towards reducing post shave pain. Since I no longer experience this, I'll probably end up PIF or trading it here. Balms, cooling gels, etc.

funniest to me is I've always thought my beard was tough, my face was sensitive and my tastes required the top shelf products. DE shaving has been such an eye opening experience...wish I took the plunge 20 yrs ago. Give me a slant and a bar of soap, i'll make it work!

What's next, after one's technique has been perfected? Well, let me first say that one's technique will never be 100% perfected.

I have been wetshaving daily since November 1951 (my 15th birthday), and I'm still perfecting my technique. Just last week, for instance, I learned the benefit of applying Corn Huskers Lotion thinned down with a little distilled water, and applying a thin coating to my face as an economiocal and effective preshave before each of my 3 passes.

When I stop learning and stop refining my technique I will be dead. I am absolutely convinced of that.

But to return to your question. You might consider focussing on maintaining the cleanliness and the "like new" appearance of your razors. It's a marvelous psychological experience to shave with an antique instrument that looks like it came from the factory yesterday.

Thanks for introducing the topic. It's an interesting area for discussion.

Post script: The post ahead of mine says, "Give me a slant and a bar of soap. I'll make it work." That is one of the most profound statements on Badger and Blade that I've read! I sometimes think we make shaving more complicated than it need be. There is little to be gained from over analysis.

Aloha,

I finally achieved a BBS shave after 3 months of mapping and practicing WTG and ATG.
My next step is trying the different techniques as blade buffing and j hooking. For me, blade buffing gets the tough spots smoother faster.

Other than that it is my ASAD that keeps me going. I love the feel of an alcohol mentholated splash after a shave it wakes me up and gets me hopping. I am always on the look out for any new aftershave splash.

Mahalo

I was born in Tripler Hospital on Honolulu, right after the vietnam war. With the winter we are having, sure wish I was where you live right now!!

A daily BBS shave should be mandatory for anyone living in paradise. :)

Go for the splash! My first year into DE shaving I did not use alcohol products either. I believed it was bad for the skin, etc. I was like the OP and felt like that should be my next step. Started using different aftershaves and now regret that I didn't use them sooner. There is no better way to end a great shave than to use a splash and get that nice smelling sting. I also feel like the alcohol has helped my skin, rather than hurt it. I really feel like I missed out by not using alcohol products before.

Go for the splash! My first year into DE shaving I did not use alcohol products either. I believed it was bad for the skin, etc. I was like the OP and felt like that should be my next step. Started using different aftershaves and now regret that I didn't use them sooner. There is no better way to end a great shave than to use a splash and get that nice smelling sting. I also feel like the alcohol has helped my skin, rather than hurt it. I really feel like I missed out by not using alcohol products before.

^This is essentially why I created the post. Am I missing out on that last ounce of manly awesomeness by not trying a splash? I've never tried one & dont often wear cologne. I'm getting totally burn free shaves (finally) and feel its safe to try some burn/sting prone products...but only if they have merit. The last 2 sentences above sum it up perfect.

Top Bottom