What's new

On the Trail of Tupelo Honey, Liquid Gold From the Swamps

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I did not know about this type of honey... hmmm...Tupelo: The Cognac of Honey. :thumbsup:

Kim Severson - NY Times - Food - 28 May 19

"ODUM, Ga. — The most expensive honey in America starts in these mucky Southern swamps, where white Ogeechee tupelo trees twist up out of water so dark you can’t tell if that was an alligator or a snake that just broke the surface.

proxy.php

Near a swamp in southeastern Georgia, Frederick Merriam Jr., right, his son Aidan Merriam, center, and Brandon Tai, left, of Honey Next Door in Atlanta, use smoke to keep bees calm while they check how the season’s crop of tupelo honey is progressing.

proxy.php
For two precious weeks each spring in this slice of southeastern Georgia and in the Florida Panhandle, tupelo trees bloom with pale, fragile flowers that look like pompoms for tiny cheerleaders. Beekeepers tuck their hives along the banks, or occasionally float them out into the water on rafts. Then the bees get to work, making honey that looks and tastes like no other. [...] a real bargain for honey that can command $22.95 a pound online.

Good tupelo will glow with a light green tint, especially when it’s fresh from the comb and bathed in sunlight. The first taste is of cinnamon with a tingle of anise. That gives way to a whisper of jasmine and something citrusy — tangerine rind, maybe? The honey is so soft, light and buttery that the only logical move is to chase it with another spoonful.

proxy.php

Tupelo honey fresh from the comb has a distinctive light green tint.

proxy.php

Because of the high ratio of fructose to glucose, tupelo honey never crystalizes.

“I love it, but it’s not something I can afford to use regularly,” said Kelly Fields, whom the James Beard Foundation recently named the year’s Outstanding Pastry Chef for work at her New Orleans restaurant, Willa Jean. “The real stuff is so sacred down here that if I ever got my hands on some, I’d probably keep it at home.”

Beekeepers who chase the tupelo bloom are a fiercely competitive and vanishing breed. All told, there are probably fewer than 200 beekeepers producing the honey in any notable quantities in Florida and Georgia, wholesale buyers and agricultural officials estimate. That doesn’t include hundreds of other beekeepers who might secrete a few hives along the riverbanks.

The honey-gathering season just ended, and it was a bad one, at least in Florida. In October, Hurricane Michael, the first Category 5 hurricane to hit the contiguous United States in 26 years, made landfall in the heart of tupelo country. Wooden bee boxes were smashed into kindling or blown away. Trees were bent and stripped of their leaves. Blooms started five months early, if they came at all.

proxy.php

Tupelo trees, which produce small, nectar-filled light green and white flowers for two weeks each spring, rise out of swamps in the Altamaha River Basin in southeastern Georgia.

[...] If you want to get into one of the South’s great culinary conflicts, try telling a Florida beekeeper that Georgia tupelo is just as good. [...] Tupelo producers are among the food world’s toughest negotiators and most
enthusiastic trash talkers".
Trash Talking Icon.png

Read More: Tupelo Honey

Tupelo Honey.png
"Tupelo Honey: Liquid Gold from the Swamps". Kim Severson

A couple very cool pop culture references, Van Morrison's, Tupelo Honey and the Peter Fonda movie Ulee's Gold,

In the spring of 1996, award winning director Victor Nunez purchased a jar of Tupelo honey from the Lanier's stand in downtown Wewahitchka. He then drove to their house, explained that he was planning to make a movie about a beekeeper, and asked Ben and Glynnis to help. Before he knew it, Ben was teaching actor Peter Fonda how to handle bees, and Glynnis, L.L. and Martha were cast as extras. Some of Ben's dialog was used in the script, and he worked with the film crew in an effort to make the beekeeping scenes in the film as true-to-life as possible. All of the swamp lands and bee yards in the film belong to the Laniers. For those of you that have been lucky enough to see this fine film, the old truck where the money was hidden is still there!

L. L. Lanier & Son's Tupelo Honey

dave

My personal journey in search of the liquid gold many years ago, had me naïvely travelling to Tupelo, Mississippi, thinking I should find it there. I searched high and low, even sought out a couple of obscure gift shops. Nobody had it. Most never even heard of it. But that day I did learn two things. First, that the honey is named after the Tupelo blossom, not the town, and second, that Elvis was born in this God-forsaken place, which had all the charm and climate of a slow cooker.
But I'm here to second the sentiments expressed above. It is indeed the ambrosia of the honey gods. If you haven't tried it, you simply must. If you ever come across it, buy it!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
It's lovely stuff, indeed!

One of my friends once made a mead with it. It was an expensive endeavor, but it sure was good!

Top Bottom