What's new

On The Subject of Gel Tips

My I've-got-nothing-better-to-do-treatise-of-the-day.

Over the last few years, I've seen a proliferation in the use of the term "gel-tips" on the forums. Originally the descriptive was only used in relation to the Rooney Heritage 2-band brushes that were manufactured in the last few years before Rooney discontinued them - i.e., before the current crop of 3-band, (so called) Heritage brushes that are being sold today (if you think you've caught some cynicism coming from me in regard to these 3-bands being labeled "Heritage", you'd be right - but that's another dissertation).

Anyway, this term "gel-tips" was not used simply to describe the pinnacle of tip softness, as seems to be the case today - if the tips are super soft, they are "gel-tips" now. For example, Thater 3-Bands, which were and are almost universally regarded as having hair tips at least as soft as anything in the history of badger brushes, were not described as being gel-tip brushes at the time that Rooney 2-bands were in production.

Rather, the term gel-tips was applied only to the Rooney Heritage 2-bands because when wet, the knots seemed to hold a thin membrane of water above the tips, giving both the appearance of gel on the tips of the brush and the quasi slimy feeling of gel on the face when applying lather. This likely had as much to do with the density of the knot as the charactertics of the hair itself. In fact, the gel-tip phenomenon was so unique that you pretty much had to experience it first hand in order to fully understand what it was like.

I for one, have yet to find another brush with this quality (though I am by no means a rabid brush buyer these days). They may very well exist and I would love to hear from anyone who has experienced the original gel-tip hair and feels they have found a current gel-tip knot. But I will say that I have bought 3 brushes described as having gel tips by forum members and found that while they were very soft indeed, they were not gel-tipped.

Thank you your Honour, the prosecution rests.

Last edited:
Bravo.
I seem to recall the term being used as a somewhat derisive term by some at least. That slimy feeling was not what they were looking for.

Bravo.
I seem to recall the term being used as a somewhat derisive term by some at least. That slimy feeling was not what they were looking for.

Yes, I agree - gel-tips were not universally revered. They almost felt like a sponge - not much sense of individual hairs.

To use an automotive metaphor, it was kind of like comparing the ride of an older Cadillac or Lincoln to a BMW. Some love that feeling of floating luxury and some prefer more road feedback.

I am going to come out on the other side of this question. From what I understand that "gel tip" feeling is a result of hooked tips. If the tips curl backward, they cannot prickle against your skin. Density may play a role too, but that "felt like a sponge - not much sense of individual hairs" description applies very well to my TGN Finest XH, which has hooked tips.

I think these hooked tips are probably the result of some sort of bleaching or other treatment of the tips. Here is a magnified image of how a random sample of shed hairs began to bend and curl under the influence of household bleach. Do not try this with a knot you care for.

Last edited by a moderator:
The new Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band hair might be the closest thing to 'gel-like' tips/hair that I have encountered (very good backbone), in the most recent knots offered, along with some sporadic TGN 2-Band Finest (lacking backbone).
Of course, many of the M&F Heritage 2-Band and Finest knots also displayed this characteristic, as well. My M&F 3XL has magnificent gel-like tips/hair. :001_smile

The new Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band hair might be the closest thing to 'gel-like' tips/hair that I have encountered (very good backbone), in the most recent knots offered, along with some sporadic TGN 2-Band Finest (lacking backbone).
Of course, many of the M&F Heritage 2-Band and Finest knots also displayed this characteristic, as well. My M&F 3XL has magnificent gel-like tips/hair. :001_smile

Yes - I've yet to try a Heritage M&F or a TGN Finest.

I am going to come out on the other side of this question. From what I understand that "gel tip" feeling is a result of hooked tips. If the tips curl backward, they cannot prickle against your skin. Density may play a role too, but that "felt like a sponge - not much sense of individual hairs" description applies very well to my TGN Finest XH, which has hooked tips...

I don't think you're coming out on the other side of this question. More like adding to the equation. :001_smile

I have a TGN that is a few years old, in Rudy Very brush. It definitely has that slimy feel when wet. It was very odd once it broke in, as i wasn't expecting it. I've since learned the term, but I think it is egregiously overused.

Top Bottom