What's new

On the Odyssey and Illiad

Sing to me of the man, Ron, the man of cuts and nicks
driven time and again off course, once he has shaved
too close with Futur!

Nice article, ties a lot of of threads together. I'll admit, I would not have tied Corey Greenburg, Homer, Albert Camus, and Gillette Fusions into the same train of thought, but that's what makes the internet great!

Homeric epic poetry and shaving? :eek: It made me kinda laugh when I thought about how big of a deal it was for Odysseus to see Telemachos bearded, indicating that he has become a man.

Or we could just Romanize Odysseus to Ulysses so that he could shave. :biggrin:

KUJO said:
Sing to me of the man, Ron, the man of cuts and nicks
driven time and again off course, once he has shaved
too close with Futur!

Nice article, ties a lot of of threads together. I'll admit, I would not have tied Corey Greenburg, Homer, Albert Camus, and Gillette Fusions into the same train of thought, but that's what makes the internet great!
That was no small feat! When I saw the Camus reference I immediately though of Le Etranger! (The Strange Hair, i.e. The Whisker! :lol: )

guenron said:
That was no small feat! When I saw the Camus reference I immediately though of Le Etranger! (The Strange Hair, i.e. The Whisker! :lol: )

You must be stopped.

Zach, looks like you have successfully passed the Contemporary Civilization and Lit Hum courses!

wow what a nice read, a bit long but very well said...

if only I discoverd knew all this when I was 18. :cool:

Probably wouldnt have the money to fullfill the SCAD,RAD but atleast had the
enjoyment in life and shaving something I'd hate and tried to avoid on a weekly basis as to only 1-2 shaves per week even till 3 months ago !

very confronting if you check out popstars, movie stars grown men, you can pick them out easy who hate shaving and for sure who have no clue what you should do with your face hairs.

I see it around me everywhere now , im so aware woken up to reality of manhood. I see faces being abused by electric razors the hair just grows weird on their face and you see the spots that the el.raz just isnt a match for. really a sad case and scenario. it is the world like it is now.. we want things FAST, EASY, CHEAP and without EFFORT. how can you take pride in that ?

What a wonderful passage:

On a good day, a good close shave is the Iliad and the Odyssey in one: the mastery of the dangerous blade, the return to the comforts of home. To shave well is to be a man, and to be a man is closer than Homer could ever have imagined to being like in appearance to the immortal gods—as Psalm 8 put it, "a little lower than the angels," and as Genesis put it, made in the image of God.

A great article, replete with the lofty literature and cultural references that keep me interested. Well said, sir!

I wonder what his B&B handle is...

nice article. too bad corey greenberg doesn't really update his blog anymore. that was an excellent time killer.

Great article.

As an aside, the Fagles translation is great and easy to read.

Real men read it in Greek as Homer composed it :001_smile Μηνιν αιδε Θεα ουλολομην η μυρι Αχαιοις

Top Bottom