What's new

On the Lathe

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It has landed! In person it is even more stunning. The pictures dont do it justice. The size and heft is larger and stouter than I expected from the photos - it feels great in my hand. The carribean rosewood has so reflective shine/chatoyance that is looks almost holographic. It shines red, orange, brown and gold. Thank you @Graydog! This brush is a work of art.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk
Congratulations! Getting a @Graydog brush is a very special occasion. :)

It has landed! In person it is even more stunning. The pictures dont do it justice. The size and heft is larger and stouter than I expected from the photos - it feels great in my hand. The carribean rosewood has so reflective shine/chatoyance that is looks almost holographic. It shines red, orange, brown and gold. Thank you @Graydog! This brush is a work of art.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It looks fantastic!

I have used this brush a few times now and I will say the photos dont do this brush justice. It's absolutely stunning work. And yes, it is man sized. It's the stoutest brush I have for sure. I told Steve I love the proportions of the chubby brushes (but dont have one) but I dont want a chubby so much as something along those proportional lines. The result is this first class face latherer. I'm loving it!

Graydog

Biblical Innards
A retired Policeman sent me a block of America Chestnut from a historical cabin that has been in his family for many years and wanted something to remember it by
Leave the wormholes he said so here it is with a 26mm Maggard SHD fan knot
IMG_20200830_080852.jpg

Graydog

Biblical Innards
That's very cool. How was the wood to turn?
It wasn't easy , lots of tare out and hard to get a good finish. Some of it because of the grain orientation that I chose to turn it in. But I liked the look of the grain going that. actually in the middle of turning another for the same guy with a normal grain
IMG_20200830_080623.jpg

It wasn't easy , lots of tare out and hard to get a good finish. Some of it because of the grain orientation that I chose to turn it in. But I liked the look of the grain going that. actually in the middle of turning another for the same guy with a normal grain View attachment 1149008

I figured extremely old and dry wood might present some issues. And to that wormholes and grain orientation and the fun just continues.
I look forward to seeing the next brush.

A retired Policeman sent me a block of America Chestnut from a historical cabin that has been in his family for many years and wanted something to remember it by
Leave the wormholes he said so here it is with a 26mm Maggard SHD fan knotView attachment 1148998
Stunning! I'm sure the grain orientation and age did present some difficulties, but you wouldnt know it from the result.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Beautiful brushes as always, Steve. Do you ever get a waxy looking ring around any of your brushes after repeated use?

I may have to try something like that with some pear I have (from removing a Bradford Pear) and a variety of other woods.

Also had a lightening strike on a decent sized wild cherry on the back lot, so I have plenty of sawing and splitting to keep me busy all winter. Plan to try to rescue any of the wood that isn't splintered (bits blew 60 ft or so across my neighbor's yard!) and will have a goodly pile of turning stock.

Top Bottom