What's new

On the hunt for that perfect shaving mug

Legion

Staff member
If you have a local potter they could custom make you something easily.

This is mine. I found it in a thrift shop for $2 and it just had to be made for a shaving mug. The ridges and sloping walls are perfect for lather building. I face lather, but I still use this one for soaking and resting the brush between passes.

proxy.php

I bought a set of 4 Buffalo China cups & saucers years ago at an old army surplus store here in UK. Given the amount of US air bases in my region I decided that they must have been US surplus.

I found one in the shed this week, washed it, tried it, kept my lather warm for the whole 3 pass shave and produced better lather than the soup bowl that I had been using, or lathering in the jar of Tabac itself.

Soup bowl is back in the kitchen where it belongs.

I found one just as you have described (and I love it) from Woodhead Pottery on Ebay. He has several styles and does really nice work. Check them out.

Thanks for the recommendations! For now, I've ordered myself an Old Spice Mug and also a custom sized mug from Dirty Bird Pottery. Will post pictures once I have them.

Same problem; on my search, I discovered a few things.

-Dark colors are a must (lather doesn't show up against white)
-A good diameter is between 4 inches to 5 inches
-Bowls that taper inwards (to "prevent lather from spilling out") just make the brush clank when your swirling
-Bowls are shaped better than mugs (mugs clank)
-Miso bowls have ideal dimensions
-Ridges don't actually help at all; it's just a myth (someone tested this)

This is the bowl that was the perfect one for me:
http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Rice-M...d=1368543056&sr=8-1&keywords=wooden+miso+bowl

It doesn't clank, is the perfect size, is held easily, keeps the lather warm, and looks decorative.

Sorry for necroing thread

Porcelain capsules used in labs fit the bill, IMHO

This type (deeper ones, really)

$PC 1.jpg

Or these

$PC 2.jpg

Last edited:
How about that mug between your ears... I use a coffee mug to soak my brush, then load my brush from my soap dish and face lather.....I do miss making that big bowl of lather sometimes though.

My daily shaving setup is a Suribachi set in an over sized coffee/soup mug. Found that the Suribachi is excellent for everything from hard soap to cream.

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
ok...here is my 2 cents...
1) if you go synthetic no soaking needed.
2) I use a Georgetown G12 scuttle, I know its not a bowl but it seems to meet your requirements.

Top Bottom