What's new

On the geometry of the Slant

Er, forgive my ignorance but isn't this the same as holding your razor at an angle while shaving?

Yes, I believe it is the same as holding a razor at a certain slanted angle while shaving with a straight stroke.

But that is difficult to do consistently with every stroke. The Slant razor does it for you automatically. Either way, a "slanted shave" is a good strategy for enhancing the closeness of a shave.

A Slant design is one of the best modifications ever developed for a DE razor. I'm surprised that more manufacturers (including Gillette!) of DE safety razors over the decades did not develop and market a Slant razor.

However, there are two disadvantages of the Slant design in my experience: 1. Cosmetically, I don't like the looks of a "twisted" Slant razor. To me a Slant razor looks like the head of the razor was run over by a car. 2. And I find after a Slant shave, the next day when the whiskers grow out, they seem more sharp and pointed to the feel of the hand. I believe that is because they have been cut on an angle, and that would be validated by examination by a microscope.

Last edited:
I use a Feather in my Hoffritz slant and try not to vary my techniques from my other razors. That typically earns me BBS,with less work and rarely any irritation. I don't love using the thing but its a go to razor for quick and easy shaves...

Yes, I believe it is the same as holding a razor at a certain slanted angle while shaving with a straight stroke.

But that is difficult to do consistently with every stroke. The Slant razore does it for you automatically. Either way, a "slanted shave" is a good strategy for enhancing the closeness of a shave.

A Slant design is one of the best modifications ever developed for a DE razor. I'm surprised that more manufacturers (including Gillette!) of DE safety razors over the decades did not develop and market a Slant razor.

However, there are two disadvantages of the Slant design in my experience: 1. Cosmetically, I don't like the looks of a "twisted" Slant razor. To me a Slant razor looks like the head of the razor was run over by a car. 2. And I find after a Slant shave, the next day when the whiskers grow out, they seem more sharp and pointed to the feel of the hand. I believe that is because they have been cut on an angle, and that would be validated by examination by a microscope.

If you look at the pictures in the first post the slant head actually twists the a little, I don't think it's the same as holding the razor at a angle while doing a stroke. I am no expert just going by the pics in the original post. I just know that my slant will take off 2-3 days of growth in one pass very easily. It will do in one pass what it takes my other razors two passes to do.

Top Bottom