What's new

On the geometry of the Slant

I have found that I can get excellent shaves with no irritation using a mild blade, and this is shaving daily with the slant. If I use the slant daily with lets say a Feather or a Merkur, I get weapers, with the Personna reds, I get an excellent shave.

I have found that I can get excellent shaves with no irritation using a mild blade, and this is shaving daily with the slant. If I use the slant daily with lets say a Feather or a Merkur, I get weapers, with the Personna reds, I get an excellent shave.

+1

Er, forgive my ignorance but isn't this the same as holding your razor at an angle while shaving?

No it is not the same. Once you see one you will better understand. It actually twists the blade slightly. There are razors such as the Mulcato Schrag Schnit that have a standard head slanted on the handle and that is not the same thing either. Old time safety razor collectors I have met used to call the 37C and that type "twisted head razors" before they were commonly referred to as slants.

I find the same blades that work for me in the SuperSpeed work in the Slant, and vice versa. The yellow Bic blades tear me up in either razor. I use Feathers, Kai's, and IP's (Crystal) with success in the 39c; though it takes an extra pass w/ the IP's to get near-BBS.

Shaving with the Slant is like sex.... unless you've tried it, you just can't fully understand :biggrin:

Does anyone else unscrew the top a bit to release tension on the blade between shaves?

I don't know why I do it except for a vague idea that it's good to let the blade go back to original shape. Probably extra work, just a quirk of mine.

Does anyone else unscrew the top a bit to release tension on the blade between shaves?

I don't know why I do it except for a vague idea that it's good to let the blade go back to original shape. Probably extra work, just a quirk of mine.

A similar thought crossed my mind when I decided to take a one time shaved with blade out of my slant, and move it to a non-slant razor for a day 2 shave. But given the strength and flexibility of the blade I don't think it matters, I would be surprised if there were any noticeable permanent deformation in the blade after a few days/weeks of mounting in the slant.

But I know many of us have OCD :wink:

proxy.php

BUMP

Er, forgive my ignorance but isn't this the same as holding your razor at an angle while shaving?

I have read this opinion / question a few times

If it was so easy to keep the angle the same during the whole shave ----

I would be using a straight edge that needs to be sharpened at a specific angle to be "sharp"

in theory I will tell you yes -- it would be the same

in practice I would have to say good luck with that

YMMV

I asked Leisureguy about this and he gained help in explaining the slant razor's benefits with two very useful analogies (snow plow and guillotine) and replacing the word 'aggressive' with assertive:
http://leisureguy.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/pitralon-shave-with-slant-bar/

Without seeing one, without using one, it's difficult to grasp how good these razors really are. (I compare it to a zero-turn mower -- until you see how useful they are, it's pretty mindblowing when you finally get one.)

Thanks guys, my pleasure. I learned quite a bit when analyzing this little gem. I think, most important to me was the realization that it is impossible to maintain the generally recommended 30 degree angle between blade and skin across the entire length of the blade. That angle varies from shallow on the left side to steep on the right side. I now exploit this feature by predominantly using the less aggressive, left side for the first pass and the more sensitive areas. I reserve the more aggressive, right side for the later passes or those areas that can take it. The Slant is thus much more convenient to use than my Futur, because I don't have to adjust the gap.
OK. Mozart- I know you posted this 6 years ago! But I just came across it. I always had great shaves from my Merkur 37c but felt I wasn't quite getting the full benefit of the razor. This post really helped me understand how these razors work. Following your technique of using each edge as the situation warrants was a revolution and has really helped me improve my technique. I had just about the best shave I ever had today. Thanks

Thank you for bumping this post. It is very interesting, and makes me love my hoffritz slant that much more. I use Astra SP's in mine and I feel like it is as close to a straight razor shave as you are going to get from a DE.

Very interesting post; glad it was bumped. I haven't tried a slant yet, but reading this has me thinking about giving one a go soon.

I use Astra SP's in mine and I feel like it is as close to a straight razor shave as you are going to get from a DE.
I've started to use Astra's as well for the first time. I thought they weren't quite sharp enough for regular DE razors but seem to work quite well in the slant. At that price point, it's hard to match.

I wonder if anyone else finds that their Slant "equalizes" razors - e.g. there is much less difference between feather, super poly, gillette 7's in the slant than my other DE razors? The blades also seem to last much longer. Just me?

Top Bottom