What's new

On the 5th Day of PIFsMas: A Butz-Choquin Pipe

On the 5th day: a pipe I've owned since the '80s, but didn't smoke then much at all, and only once since coming back to pipe smoking in January. This is a Butz-Choquin bent egg or brandy style, w/ an acrylic stem, I think; glossy, partially rusticated, with a good sized bowl. It's a beauty, but I just don't have the love for it -- my tastes have changed to smaller, straighter pipes, I guess. Everyone here has been so cool, both as to advice and to PIF-ing tobacco samples, that it's time I gave back a little. Pics (click each thumbnail for a larger image; let me know if you need more):

IMG_20211210_065309_1CS (2).jpg IMG_20211210_065326_2CS (2).jpg

IMG_20211210_065205_2CS (2).jpg IMG_20211210_065717 (2).jpg

On one side of the stummel it reads "Butz-Choquin" and "Savane." On the other, "St. Claude," "France," and "1310." I'll add a nice dark blue velvet sleeve, too.

Okay! How do you go about winning this pipe, you ask? I'm a trivia buff, so I've selected a moderately challenging question.

Everyone knows that Robert Vaughn of The Man From U.N.C.L.E. and Yul Brynner of The Ten Commandments worked together in the Magnificent Seven. My question:

What is the name of the character that both of them played in separate productions, one on TV and the other, years later, in film?

I'll provide hints as we go along. I don't think it fair at this point to use IMDb's "What productions did A and B both work in?" feature. If it turns out that no one has a clue, I'll allow it. But it's fun to cudgel your brains a bit.

Let me know if you have Qs about the pipe or the trivia question. US shipping only, please, and I'll need to mail it so you'll get it before Xmas. So the first poster who has the correct character name before 12/15 wins this lovely bit of French sculpture!

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Wow that looks like a nice pipe! Alas, I have absolutely no clue what the answer to the question is and I have never seen either of the shows mentioned, or anything else they may have done. Time for some movie/TV research.

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
It's all personal preference in this game, and I normally prefer partial bents and straights, but I LOVE that!!!!

But respectfully not in. After my recent windfall, I feel I should sit out pipe PIF's until a half dozen or so have passed under the dam. Good luck, folks! That is a stunner!

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Wow that looks like a nice pipe! Alas, I have absolutely no clue what the answer to the question is and I have never seen either of the shows mentioned, or anything else they may have done. Time for some movie/TV research.

Advantage will go to some of us more distinguished extinguished gentlemen, I think you're likley too young.

ylekot

Advantage will go to some of us more distinguished extinguished gentlemen, I think you're likley too young.
I'm not sure if I should be grateful or offended at the prospect of being "too young"🤣 I guess it is what it is, I'm 50 but I feel 100 some days.:wheelchair:

All right, I'll toss you a hint:

The character was a recurring feature of the well-known novel series the TV show and the movie were both derived from. He wasn't in every novel, but popped up just often enough to keep things interesting.

Also, he was known by 2 names, 1 in English and 1 meaning the same thing in another language. I'll take either one.

Gee, I didn't mean to make it impossible!

The two productions were released 11 years apart, if that helps. Vaughn was in the earlier one on TV; Brynner in the later, the film.

Sorry, guys! I guess I made the thing much more complex than it needed to be. We could wind up at answer 87 or something before somebody comes up with it. Tell you what: I'll accept the name of the long-running novel series that the character appears in sporadically. Hints: The novel series has the same name as the TV series that Vaughn guest-starred in. The later film does not feature the name, at least not in the title. But there have been other recent TV adaptations, either of the author's novels or just using the characters, that do feature the series' name.

Darn. I guess I overdid it in the trivia department. (I even dropped a clue in the previous post!)

Go ahead and use IMDb if you want to!

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Darn. I guess I overdid it in the trivia department. (I even dropped a clue in the previous post!)

Go ahead and use IMDb if you want to!

Oddly enough, I probably spent about 2 hours on this yesterday looking at both actors' Wikipedia pages and couldn't dig out the answer. It was probably really obvious but sadly I could not track it down.

ylekot

Oddly enough, I probably spent about 2 hours on this yesterday looking at both actors' Wikipedia pages and couldn't dig out the answer. It was probably really obvious but sadly I could not track it down.
Yep I got nuthin'

All right, guys, I guess I made it too tough. Just chime in with "I'm in" or similar, and I'll use a random number generator to pick a post as winner.

I'll give the answer to the trivia question at that time.

seabee1999

All right, guys, I guess I made it too tough. Just chime in with "I'm in" or similar, and I'll use a random number generator to pick a post as winner.

I'll give the answer to the trivia question at that time.

Ok, well after about another 2 hours this morning combing the Wikipedia and IMDB pages of both actors and not finding anything (even with clues), I'll say I'm in on this PIF. I do look forward to the answer. More than likely, I passed by it on numerous occasions and just didn't "see" it.

Just a reminder to post an "I'm in" or similar before noon CST on Wednesday, 12/15. I'll box up the pipe and ship it off to the winner as soon after that as I can.

I’m in. No clue on the trivia answer though I have cheated and looked up both actors credits for a few hours. My only remote thoughts were some variation on the “King and I” or ”The Ten Commandments”.

seabee1999

Ok, well after about another 2 hours this morning combing the Wikipedia and IMDB pages of both actors and not finding anything (even with clues), I'll say I'm in on this PIF. I do look forward to the answer. More than likely, I passed by it on numerous occasions and just didn't "see" it.

I did a little more research on this. I’ll give “Buddy” a go for Robert Vaughn in Schiltz Playhouse and Yul Brynner as “Sabata (Buddy)” in Adios, Sabata.

Top Bottom