What's new

On the 5th Day of PIFsMas: A Butz-Choquin Pipe

A reminder that I'll run the random number generator to pick a winner at 12 noon CST today. With any luck I can get the pipe in the mail to the winner today as well. If you haven't proclaimed your interest, now is the time!

Okay, folk! The Random Number Generator has spoken: Post # 21, cwright, is the winner! Please PM me with your mailing address, sir, and I'll get this out today or early tomorrow.

The Trivia Question: Seabee1999, you were ingenious -- and I did not know that, big fan of Vaughn though I am. But that was not connected to "Ed McBain's" 87th Precinct novel series. It began in the 1950s, and ended, as far as I know, when Evan Hunter passed away in '01 or so. The TV series based on it was also called 87th Precinct, with Robert Lansing, 1961-62. In the episode "The Heckler" from late '61, Vaughn plays . . . Sordo, a polished and dangerous criminal mastermind. The word "sordo" means "deaf" in Spanish, as McBain points out to us in the novels; so the character, a recurring Moriarty-figure, was also known as The Deaf Man. In fact RV plays the role with a hearing aid button in one ear.

The Deaf Man is the name of the same character in the 1972 film Fuzz, also derived from one of McBain's novels. This film is played a little more for laughs, I think; any movie with Burt Reynolds as a cop who goes undercover in a nun's habit can't be all serious. In that one, Yul Brynner plays The Deaf Man. So I would have taken either "Sordo," "The Deaf Man," or "87th Precinct" as an answer.

Last edited:
Okay, folk! The Random Number Generator has spoken: Post # 21, cwright, is the winner! Please PM me with your mailing address, sir, and I'll get this out today or early tomorrow.

The Trivia Question: Seabee1999, you were ingenious -- and I did not know that, big fan of Vaughn though I am. But that was not connected to "Ed McBain's" 87th Precinct novel series. It began in the 1950s, and ended, as far as I know, when Evan Hunter passed away in '01 or so. The TV series based on it was also called 87th Precinct, with Robert Lansing, 1961-62. In the episode "The Heckler" from late '61, Vaughn plays . . . Sordo, a polished and dangerous criminal mastermind. The word "sordo" means "deaf" in Spanish, as McBain points out to us in the novels; so the character, a recurring Moriarty-figure, was also known as The Deaf Man. In fact RV plays the role with a hearing aid button in one ear.

The Deaf Man is the name of the same character in the 1972 film Fuzz, also derived from one of McBain's novels. This film is played a little more for laughs, I think; any movie with Burt Reynolds as a cop who goes undercover in a nun's habit can't be all serious. In that one, Yul Brynner plays The Deaf Man. So I would have taken either "Sordo," "The Deaf Man," or "87th Precinct" as an answer.
Please send me a PM, will send address.

Top Bottom