What's new

OMG! You guys are so right about blades being different for everyone!

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.
I am also currently using a Feather Popular Safety Razor and these are from my own experience and your millage may vary as always.

1) The blade that works best for Me may not be the best for you.

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.
I am also currently using a Feather Popular Safety Razor and these are from my own experience and your millage may vary as always.

1)Keep in mind that there are Tons of variables and combinations in wet shaving with a de razor

2) The blade that works best for Me may not be the best for you.
Each of us has different Skin and beard type. Some beard types require sharp Blade/Dull and some skin type require a smooth cause it may not have tolerance for aggressive Blade. So, you try and find a balance That suits you.

Example: My cousin who uses the same razor buys Feather Blades only and swears by them. I found Feather blades unnecessary for my beard type and Gillette Nacet Gets the Job done for me with the same number of shaves I get from both blades.
Feather costs 43 Saudi riyals for 100 count while Nacet costs only 16 Saudi Riyals for 100 counts. So higher Price doesn't Mean necessarily better. It all comes down to your skin and Beard.

3) The type of Razor Matters and the blade that goes with it.
Feather Popular razor is built to be mild, Derby extras also mild. This combo equals to extreme mild shave and will not get you a BBS shave and you will suffer for trying to do so. I am pretty sure if you put your derby extra in an aggressive razor you will have a different experience.
My suggestion is that you get an adjustable Safety razor, this way you can tune to get the perfect shave for you from any blades.

4) Pre shave routine and Shaving cream and brushes.
Pre shave care such as softening the beard with warm water/shower ,pre shave oil etc. Using a better shaving cream along with a shaving brush can make a day/night difference in the results achieved after shave.

One shaving cream I have given me sleek shave while the other not so much, one shaving brush feels harsh on skin but visibly lifts my whiskers from the skin. While the other is smooth on skin but doesn't do a great job lifting the whiskers.

So always remember the fun of wet shaving is you have a possible thousands of ways to experience it with thousands of possible said combinations.

Have fun shaving! cheers!

I love my Omega boar brush, as it does lift the whiskers. I tend to do small half circles when I apply my cream, as to "lift" the whiskers. Prep is really key to a great shave! Clean face absent of oils, lotions, helps whiskers absorb water to soften, making the blade cut easier, resulting in a much smoother shave overall. I usually do just 1 pass WTG, with a few clean ups. My blade is Wilkinson Sword from Germany, paired with a Parker 91R razor. This razor is just aggressive enough. I enjoy my shave, and NO irritation! Good luck in your journey for a great shave!!

After recently returning to a DE safety razor I have learned that a mild razor with a super sharp blade is a true winning combination. Don't be afraid of Feather Blades in your Feather Razor. Feather are my favorite blades in my milder razors.

Feather are my favorite blades, but not in all of my razors.

Don't confuse Wilkinson Sword (black) with Gillette Wilkinson Sword. These latter are made in India and are not sharp. On my face they pull, scratch, and snag. Very unpleasant. This is not a knock against Indian products, only these Indian made Gillette blades.

However, as you noted, I have found that the proper razor/blade/face combination is what matters.

Just a follow-up to this thread. Popped in my second KCG after trying Super-Max Platinums and Gillette 7 o'clock SS (greens), and, man, these KCGs are smooooooooth!

New member here. Got quite a few free packs of Derby Extras with the first safety razor I bought. They didn't agree with me at all, i eventually gave them all away. Since then I've bought several different makes of blades. My favourite blade is Astra greens.

Top Bottom