What's new

OMG! You guys are so right about blades being different for everyone!

Shave #2 with the KCGs was again glorious. I got a couple of nicks on my neck going ATG, but I think that's either technique or just that my neck is more sensitive. I may just reduce myself to going WTG on my neck.

But I am just amazed at the difference (for me) between the Derby Extras (ugh) and the KCGs (wonderful!).

I took me too long to understand that too.

I stayed with Feather years before understanding it wasn't for me.

I almost sold razor that I now love because of that :)

Feathers aren't for me either, at least for now. DE blade performance seems to be fairly subjective and fluid in nature. The good and bad of that is they are mostly inexpensive but there are so many to choose from. I could see being frustrated if I just wanted to find a good shave and wasn't interested in trying a lot of different brands however, as a hobbyist, it's actually entertainment. I think part of why SE razors aren't more popular is so few blade options. Not that those options are bad, just limited. Anyway, welcome and best of, luck finding your best blade!

I just got 14 new blades in the mail in a PIF (two each of seven different kinds). It ended a week or so ago. Thank you ewk! I am looking forward to trying them.

If you buy a second hand razor sometimes it will be sold with blades and that will be in the listing. Seller has no need to keep the blades if they are not going to be DE shaving. Sometimes the seller will be a shaving collector and will send blades without telling you in advance. If seller on BST is a enthusiast they likely have some extra blades to add for a very small fee or for free - if you ask nicely.

I too am waiting to try the feathers until I get more experience. I wish I had a better and larger selection or I would offer to send you some blades.

The Feather Popular razor is one of the milder razors available. Unless you are a young teen just starting to shave peachfuzz, the Popular needs a sharp blade to work well for most shavers. That is why they come with the super sharp Feather blades.

Like many others have said, the Feather blades lack durabiliity. While I can get only two full shaves from a Feather blade before they become harsh. I once tried them for a third shave and only made it through my first pass WTG.

There are some folks who use Feather blades "one and done". That makes them rather expensive, but if that is not important to you, it is a way to insure you always have a very sharp blade in your razor. Personally, I like BIC Chrome Platinum, Nacet, 7 O'Clock Super Platinum (black) , PermaSharp Super, Personna Platinums (Israeli Reds), and Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades better than Feather. While they are not quite as sharp on the first shave, they stay sharp longer. I can usually get four shaves from them.

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.
When you get to a good address let me know I will send you 2 of every blade I have free.

Doug

When you get to a good address let me know I will send you 2 of every blade I have free.

Doug
Wow! How very kind of you! Thanks.

Edit: I went to send you a pm, but I don't see that option. Perhaps, I have to post a certain number of times before that becomes an option. Thanks again.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I cannot even use Derby Extra blades. They rip out my whiskers rather than cutting them. Some people say Derby Premium are better, but I have not tried them.

I also do not like the Shark Super Chrome blades, but I found the Shark Platinum blades to be pretty good, similar to the Lord Platinum blades.

A lot of people have had poor experiences with Dorco blades made in S. Korea. However, they opened a new plant in Vietnam. The Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades are one of my favorite blade.

Because everyone is different in their blade preferences, you need to try a dozen or more different brands to see which works for you.
I was blown away by the Derby Premium and the Dorco Prime. Definitely both are keepers! Merry Christmas my friend.

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.
Derbys were my first blade, too. (They came in a sample pack.) They were painful to use. I thought the first one must have been defective, so I tried another. Nope. Just as painful, like dragging a garden rake over my face. I ended up just using the generics from the grocery store, which I later learned were Personnas at first, then they switched to Dorcos. Both fine blades. I have a variety right now, thanks to a couple B&Bers, and I will be trying them as soon as my Feather gives out. I’m on shave number 22 with this Feather blade. Still going smooth.

Last edited:
Shave #3 with the KCGs today. Absolutely the best shave that I've had with them. I am blown away by these blades vs. the Derbys. Looking forward to eventually trying more blades. I can't imagine enjoying other blades more than these, but then again I didn't realize how much of a difference there would be between Derby Extras and the KCGs. :thumbup:

The blades I have are: @mikhou

Personna Israeli Red from Israel
Personna Israeli Red from Germany, found no difference between the 2.
Personna Med Prep
Personna Crystal
Polsilver Stainless
Polsilver SI
Wizamet SI
Voskhod

The Voshod and the Personna Crystal, the Personna Crystal gives a great first shave, the Voshod is one of those blades that people either like or dislike.

Doug

Wow, I find the Red replacements, now made in Germany, to be far too 'edgy' for me, at least in the Timeless & Rex. I LOVED the Israeli Reds in my Timeless 95 OC, but the German replacements are nick city (perhaps weeper city would be more accurate) for me. I now have 190 to try and trade or sell, I dislike them that much. The Crystal Super+ are very close to the prior Israeli Reds, as are the Western Wall blades, which came with the German Personnas, both of which are presumably manufactured at the prior Personna Israeli plant.

After some searching and testing, the Rapira Platinum Lux blades are my favorite easily obtained blade, and possibly smoother than the original Israeli Reds, and provide a exemplary shave in both the Timeless & Rex.

Wow, I find the Red replacements, now made in Germany, to be far too 'edgy' for me, at least in the Timeless & Rex. I LOVED the Israeli Reds in my Timeless 95 OC, but the German replacements are nick city (perhaps weeper city would be more accurate) for me. I now have 190 to try and trade or sell, I dislike them that much. The Crystal Super+ are very close to the prior Israeli Reds, as are the Western Wall blades, which came with the German Personnas, both of which are presumably manufactured at the prior Personna Israeli plant.

After some searching and testing, the Rapira Platinum Lux blades are my favorite easily obtained blade, and possibly smoother than the original Israeli Reds, and provide a exemplary shave in both the Timeless & Rex.
Could be the razor, timeless is a very good razor it is what I used prior to getting my Wolfman, I found that the Wolfman holds the blade more securely than the Timeless does, I just didn’t notice any difference.

Feathers aren't for me either, at least for now. DE blade performance seems to be fairly subjective and fluid in nature. The good and bad of that is they are mostly inexpensive but there are so many to choose from. I could see being frustrated if I just wanted to find a good shave and wasn't interested in trying a lot of different brands however, as a hobbyist, it's actually entertainment. I think part of why SE razors aren't more popular is so few blade options. Not that those options are bad, just limited. Anyway, welcome and best of, luck finding your best blade!
Found my blade. For a lot less...$1.19/tuck! Picked up a few...
20211227_115359.jpg
German Wilkinson Sword is my blade!!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
So many good ones...tough to pick just one. But I will say...the only blade I absolutely have had no luck with is the Bic Chrome Platinum. Have tried it three times, three different fresh blades and have had to pull it every time. I'll take a Derby Extra over a Bic Chrome Platinum any day.

So many good ones...tough to pick just one. But I will say...the only blade I absolutely have had no luck with is the Bic Chrome Platinum. Have tried it three times, three different fresh blades and have had to pull it every time. I'll take a Derby Extra over a Bic Chrome Platinum any day.
And I just bought 100 Bics. Funny how blades work so differently for different people!

Top Bottom