What's new

OMG! You guys are so right about blades being different for everyone!

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.

Waving City Bus GIF by Connect Transit

Congrats on giving it another try :thumbup::thumbup: As you've discovered, a different blade can make a night and day difference to your shave. And there are dozens and dozens of different blades out there that you can try for (relatively) cheap. Can't say that about razors and soaps...

After having tried about a dozen blades, it’s plain to me that YMMV was never truer than for DE razor blades. Several highly thought of blades are merely OK for me. I have acquired a couple more razors, so I plan to try the so-so blades in them to see what changes, if anything. I hope at least one combo will be a winner.
Jack

I wish they would sell the King C Gillette blades in a bulk pack. They are good blades, but I refuse to pay $6 for a ten pack when I can get 100 of many blades brands for just a few dollars more.

I usually recommend that new shavers pick up a sampler pack with at least a dozen different blade brands. Although some samplers only contain a couple of each blade, I suggest getting a minimum of 5 blades of each to give your a more representative trial.

Platinum coated blades are not necessarily better than those that are stainless with a polymer coating. You have to try several to see which you like.

Have you thought about ordering some Feathers from Japan on ebay? I am guessing where you are at by your post ;)
The Popular actually came with some Feathers but I've been hesitant to try them as so many talk about how sharp they are and that many wouldn't recommend them for newbies. Hence, the reason that I ordered the bulk Derbys.

But after my vastly different experiences with the Derbys and the KCGs I'm looking forward to a sampler pack that will allow me to experiment with a host of blades before settling on something.

I wish they would sell the King C Gillette blades in a bulk pack. They are good blades, but I refuse to pay $6 for a ten pack when I can get 100 of many blades brands for just a few dollars more.

I usually recommend that new shavers pick up a sampler pack with at least a dozen different blade brands. Although some samplers only contain a couple of each blade, I suggest getting a minimum of 5 blades of each to give your a more representative trial.

Platinum coated blades are not necessarily better than those that are stainless with a polymer coating. You have to try several to see which you like.
Yeah, I paid more than I wanted to for them. I just didn't like the idea of another shave with the Derbys. I'm glad that I did and the ten pack will get me through until I get back to the States and can order a sampler pack.

Congrats. I rather like the Feather Popular. I think it's a very underrated razor.
^^ this!

I had one in my early shaving days, thought it didn't work well enough and passed it on. Now, as my technique got better, I favor mild razors more and more. So don't get rid of the razor too quickly is all I am saying ;-)

This is my first post here, and I just gotta say, "Thank you," that you encourage newbies to experiment with different blades. I've just gotten into shaving with a DE safety razor and I started with an inexpensive Feather Popular razor. I also made the newbie mistake (that I have since learned WAS a mistake) and I ordered the razor and a 100 pack of Derby Extra blades (because I'd seen the Derby Extras recommended as a good newbie blade). Suffice it to say that it really wasn't a pleasant experience, and I thought to myself, "This is for the birds." But after doing more reading and seeing people recommend trying different blades, I backed up and tried again. Unfortunately, I'm in a temporary location overseas (outside of the US) that doesn't have access to a sampler pack in the time that I am here. However, I did find a pack of King C. Gillette blades at a local supermarket so I bought them. I loaded up one of the KGC's this morning and thought, "Well, let's try this, and if it isn't any better, maybe it's back to a Mach3 for me." It was glorious! Not a nick, not a cut, not a weeper, and an incredibly smooth shave. I couldn't be happier.

So just a quick note to say, "Thanks for encouraging us newbies to try different blades." I'm heading back to the States in a month, and I'll order a sampler pack then and begin trying out as many as I can. Until then, I'll keep using the KGC blades, and...well...I don't know what I'll do with the Derby Extras.
It's a good idea to try different blades because they vary widely on the parameters and some variables (e.g. razor or skin/hair type) can alter preferences. I had the old Derby Extras and the GSBs to try out that came with the first razor I bought. It was night and day difference. LOL That made me seek out trying some others, and I found a lot with the 2 Astras (loved the Astra SP) and a couple of old Dorcos. GSB has really magical smoothness, but I wish its sharpness was a little less.

Yeah, I paid more than I wanted to for them. I just didn't like the idea of another shave with the Derbys. I'm glad that I did and the ten pack will get me through until I get back to the States and can order a sampler pack.

I cannot even use Derby Extra blades. They rip out my whiskers rather than cutting them. Some people say Derby Premium are better, but I have not tried them.

I also do not like the Shark Super Chrome blades, but I found the Shark Platinum blades to be pretty good, similar to the Lord Platinum blades.

A lot of people have had poor experiences with Dorco blades made in S. Korea. However, they opened a new plant in Vietnam. The Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades are one of my favorite blade.

Because everyone is different in their blade preferences, you need to try a dozen or more different brands to see which works for you.

Top Bottom