What's new

OMG! Will the madness never end?

It's all relative....
The whole DE saving thing is an urban legend.
Your first sentence, I agree with.
I've used DE for the last 4 years, carts and disposables for the 12 before that.

Back home, water quality is really terrible. The salt will eat away at blades really quickly, no matter how well you clean them. This reduced the life of my fusion cartridges to barely 2 or 3 shaves. It became forbiddingly expensive quite soon. Any DE blade gave me at least 2 shaves with a simple flip and its tons cheaper.

And living in England, I've pretty much seen the same issue with carts. Water quality is just fine, but living close to the sea and with terrible weather, everything's damp and blades still corrode fast. Cheap disposables may work, but you're not going to get a BBS from them. I still save quite a lot with DE and indulge on new razors and aftershaves.

So yeah, DE does save a lot for the right person.

Why do people hate cartridge razors so much? I can shave just fine with them...90% of people do. 7 blades in the cartridge is not like doing 7 passes with a DE razor. Why people think this is beyond me. Do a 3 pass shave with a 3 blade cartridge razor and do a 9 pass shave with a DE...the former will be fine but the latter? It'll probably tear your face up quite a bit. Let people use the kit they want.

Hate is a strong word...but it will do until I think of a stronger word.

1. Facial hair collecting under the blades, rendering them ineffective. And holding it under the faucet doesn't sluice the hair out. Nope. Gotta tap that razor vigorously on the edge of the sink to dislodge the blockage.

2. Price. Seriously? Are these Gillette Multi-blade cartridges assembled by out-of-work Rolex watchmakers during their break time?

I never got more than one weeks shave out of my fusion back in the day. Some of you guys seriously push these things to a whole month?

It's never consistently terrible - the thing about the British climate is that if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.
I may have exaggerated a bit about the weather. I had the good fortune to be in Wales for a holiday when the lockdown began back in March. Decided to stay here for a while. I've enjoyed all the summer months, but the winter is truly dreary most of the time.

The sea air doesn't treat blades particularly well though, no matter what the weather is like.

This clip from an Australian comedy show back in the 1990's has probably been done to death on this site, but here it is again. It was comedy at the time when the Mach III was starting to come out, but strangely prophetic now.

I also seem to a remember reading a road test on some car or another by James May from the Top Gear show discussing 6 speed gearboxes in cars and how they are on par with 5 bladed razors. Do we really need all the extra gears or blades and is it just a marketing ploy?

cheers
Andrew

I know right, I have been wet shaving for over 3 years now and I think when I stopped using disposables, I had used the Mach 3 a few times, but usually stuck with the sensor with two blades.

In my opinion, nothing is smoother or better than a single edge de razor blade.
That would include one side of a double edge.

I never got more than one weeks shave out of my fusion back in the day. Some of you guys seriously push these things to a whole month?
I push my mach 3 cart to like 4 months at which point I change because I want to, not because I have to. My dad probably changes his twice a year whilst daily shaving. He doesn't even use expensive creams/soaps, a brush, pre-shave or expensive aftershave. Good ol' Nivea shave gel, his 20+ yr old sensor excel (its older than me for sure) and old spice aftershave. Honest to god he never gets razor burn/bumps/cuts...nothing. My skin is somewhat sensitive but its never been an issue using carts or feathers. Wet-shaving is just a more enjoyable experience for me...Its not tonnes better that the cost justifies it. In my experience unless you are pushing blades past 5 shaves (at which point there is a significant drop in performance), it costs more to DE shave over carts.

Your first sentence, I agree with.
I've used DE for the last 4 years, carts and disposables for the 12 before that.

Back home, water quality is really terrible. The salt will eat away at blades really quickly, no matter how well you clean them. This reduced the life of my fusion cartridges to barely 2 or 3 shaves. It became forbiddingly expensive quite soon. Any DE blade gave me at least 2 shaves with a simple flip and its tons cheaper.

And living in England, I've pretty much seen the same issue with carts. Water quality is just fine, but living close to the sea and with terrible weather, everything's damp and blades still corrode fast. Cheap disposables may work, but you're not going to get a BBS from them. I still save quite a lot with DE and indulge on new razors and aftershaves.

So yeah, DE does save a lot for the right person.
What? Are your cartridges not stainless steel or at the very least galvanised in some way? I've spent plenty of the time by the beach and have plenty of friends and family who live out by the water and this has never been an issue for them.

What? Are your cartridges not stainless steel or at the very least galvanised in some way? I've spent plenty of the time by the beach and have plenty of friends and family who live out by the water and this has never been an issue for them.
Try shaving in India using tap water. No amount of galvanization is going to save that cartridge. Course its not the same in all towns, but it was pretty bad in my area. We used to replace plastic buckets every 4-6 months just to remove the salt build up.

Try shaving in India using tap water. No amount of galvanization is going to save that cartridge. Course its not the same in all towns, but it was pretty bad in my area. We used to replace plastic buckets every 4-6 months just to remove the salt build up.
Actually, I remember it was so bad even my Muhle Rocca matte started to rust

this is my 6th month with Mach3 cartridge. i wont change, just trying some creams and gels out. i hone my kitchen knifes, i can tell that gillettes steel is top quality. talks about of rusting and salt and oher things are worthless, my personal opinion is honest.

Top Bottom