What's new

Omg! Simpson!

I just received my Simpson Commodore X3 I got from a PIF. This is the first quality brush I owned (outside of the ones I restored) and my goodness, just holding it is an experience. I'm surprised how solid it feels.

In any case, disinfecting question: I read the FAQ on how to disinfect a brush, and I plan on washing with dish detergent, but will vinegar damage the brush? Just wondering.

Make sure you have the correct vinegar to water ratio, or it will damage the hair (so ive read). I think one part vinegar to 4 parts H2O.

Helluva PIF! Emsplace has a video on using vinegar, I seem to remember. I'll look for a link when I'm not on my mobile.

One to one seems a bit harsh. I get that it's the acidity that kills all the leftover critters but I'm not sure about THAT strength. I'm more comfortable with AgBill's 4:1.

Soak the brush; wash it with regular hair shampoo and palm lather; put the brush in a cup of water and 1 tb.s. of white vinegar covering the knot only below the handle; keep it there 10 minutes and shake it once in a while during that time. Wash it again and palm lather with shampoo, and you're done. Use it as usual with some strong scented soap/cream to get rid of the remaining vinegar smell. Cheers for the beautiful brush!

Don't go overboard. If you use vinegar, don't let it sit too long. Vinegar is more a rinsing agent to get any leftover soap out. I used to use 1 part vinegar to 5-8 parts water. Treat it like your own hair. Use a gentle shampoo or a glycerin face bar soap to lather it up. It works just as good. I often just clean brushes from other members, by lathering up some shave soap and rinsing. Soap is soap.

Well, I'm off to start cleaning my Simpson. I'm going to take you'alls advice keep the vinegar mix pretty low but I'm going to have to skip the shampoo and use dish soap. I have no hair, I have no shampoo in the place :sleep:

It's hair, so all you need is shampoo or dish soap if you feel a need to clean them. I've never done vinegar. The key to maintaining badger brushes is rinsing them thoroughly so they don't build up a residue. I rinse mine under running water for some time. I then soak them in clean water while I finish my post shave routine, then rinse them under running water again. With this procedure I've never had to clean a brush with shampoo, dish soap or anything else.

Last edited:
I accidently left one of my brushes (M&F blonde badger) soaking overnight in a 1:4 solution -- no harm done.

Alright, you need some brush pron, well... post washing...

proxy.php

proxy.php

That's a lovely looking brush! Congrats!

Say what you like about Simpsons prices; every one of their brushes that I've had have been top-notch.

Ok, my first impression. I was wondering where all the lather was and was becoming disappointed until I realized that the brush sucked it all up. I also learned that because the brush loves to grab the lather, I need to make sure to use enough warm water. Not a plus or minus, but different from what I'm used to. However, it felt really good against my skin (no scritchy) and had a perfect balance of floppy and backbone. It's a really nice, high quality brush that feels and performs great. This is definitely going to be my main go-to brush.

If I was to find a downside, or an upside (depending on how one views it) comparing the brushes that I have thus far restored, I have come close to the feeling and performance of my Simpson. I say that because I was becoming disappointed that I couldn't afford to outright buy and enjoy an $80+++ brush. So using this brush has cured me of my envy for those who are able to get hundred plus dollar brushes since I now have something to compare my restorations to. Hopefully I can get or assemble another solid resin handle brush because I just love how solid this handle feels.

^ I agree. I'm not a scientist, but what would you use to shampoo your pet badger (or dog)?

My badger occasionally enjoys a nice soak in a tub of vinegar and water, but I've never done anything other than shampoo my brushes. In fact, I do my best not to let the badger know what my brushes are made from. So far, he thinks that they're all boar.

Top Bottom