What's new

OMG! - Shave perfection!

Last night (yes I shave in the evenings) I had the most wonderful shave I can ever remember, and to be honest I don’t think I’ve had one quite like it. It was a 3 pass shave WTG,XTG,ATG and after the cold water splash at the end I had no, and I mean NO irritation and a BBS finish, and I don’t know why????

Normally I get mild irritation around my neck and sometimes my upper lip and I thought it was going ATG that did this, but last night I got absolutely nothing, no redness, no stinging, no lumps, bumps, it was simply amazing, the Alum block didn’t even sting………..now I’m worried, I’m worried in case I never get another shave quite like it.

Recently I have procured a Merkur 39C slant and a Muhle R41 but I didn’t use either of these, here’s what I used.

Merkur 38C - that I've used for years.
Lord Stainless Blade
Palmolive lather shave cream
Simpson Colonel X2L 2 band.

Now, I’m not sure what has changed because I think I have used this combination before….or have I???? I did try to replicate the barbers razor strokes after having a wet shave at the barbers the other day, he used a Straight of course, but the strokes he took were very small, and he did a 3 pass shave too….then I thought it may have been the cream because, it’s only the second time I’ve used the Palmolive and it’s cheap ($3 NZ) over here…maybe it was the cream, saying if it was the cream and all the other products sitting in the cupboard are now wasted……

And what about blades, I got the lords (100) for so cheap it’s quite frightening, I have a shed load of Derbys but they have never given me a shave like this.

My mind is going over time…so what could it be??????

Maybe I’ll have to start slowly swapping one item out for another, while trying to use the same technique ……..I’m excited, but scared all at the same time…..I want a shave like that everytime!!!!

:001_huh:

Last edited:
I'm going to try again tonight exactly what I did last night....but do I use a new blade....I should have video'd exactly what I did.........arrrrghhhh.....!!!

Ever thought that it might be your technique? Perhaps you locked your finger joints and elbow joint in the perfect angle that day? :laugh:

Compaq, if I had a perfect shave like that, with my arm in a cast, I'd keep my arm broken! he he !! :)

I remember my first shave like that. I believe I also started a thread for it. it's a great feeling, you will have many more :w00t:

I had a very similar moment of almost perfection a couple of days ago.
Nice one SirSlick.

I've also just about 10 minutes ago had my first shave with Palmolive soap....super cheap here in the UK at £0.69 per stick. I was doubtful of it, but it produced a nice lather and a very decent shave.

All the best Sir :thumbup1:

Shaver Raver, if you can....try the cream. I have to say the cream was wonderful, not too thick, not too thin, and it was really smooth and slippery and it smelt nice too.

but seriously it can't just be the cream that made that shave so good...could it?

Last night (yes I shave in the evenings) I had the most wonderful shave I can ever remember, and to be honest I don’t think I’ve had one quite like it. It was a 3 pass shave WTG,XTG,ATG and after the cold water splash at the end I had no, and I mean NO irritation and a BBS finish, and I don’t know why????

Normally I get mild irritation around my neck and sometimes my upper lip and I thought it was going ATG that did this, but last night I got absolutely nothing, no redness, no stinging, no lumps, bumps, it was simply amazing, the Alum block didn’t even sting………..now I’m worried, I’m worried in case I never get another shave quite like it.

Recently I have procured a Merkur 39C slant and a Muhle R41 but I didn’t use either of these, here’s what I used.

Merkur 38C - that I've used for years.
Lord Stainless Blade
Palmolive lather shave cream
Simpson Colonel X2L 2 band.

Now, I’m not sure what has changed because I think I have used this combination before….or have I???? I did try to replicate the barbers razor strokes after having a wet shave at the barbers the other day, he used a Straight of course, but the strokes he took were very small, and he did a 3 pass shave too….then I thought it may have been the cream because, it’s only the second time I’ve used the Palmolive and it’s cheap ($3 NZ) over here…maybe it was the cream, saying if it was the cream and all the other products sitting in the cupboard are now wasted……

And what about blades, I got the lords (100) for so cheap it’s quite frightening, I have a shed load of Derbys but they have never given me a shave like this.

My mind is going over time…so what could it be??????

Maybe I’ll have to start slowly swapping one item out for another, while trying to use the same technique ……..I’m excited, but scared all at the same time…..I want a shave like that everytime!!!!

:001_huh:
Had that moment yesterday. 1960 SuperSpeed/Derby Extra/AoS Badger/ToBS Saldalwood.

WTG, then ATG. No irritation, no burn, no weepers, just smooth, smooth, smooth.

Shaver Raver, if you can....try the cream. I have to say the cream was wonderful, not too thick, not too thin, and it was really smooth and slippery and it smelt nice too.

but seriously it can't just be the cream that made that shave so good...could it?

I'll keep a look out for the cream, thanks:thumbup1:

I think; from my very limited experience, that the cream or soap you are using can have a big impact on your shave.
The one that seems to suit me best is Proraso, it gives me a nicer shave than the D R Harris soap I have.
The only other one I have had chance to try is Ingrams cream, this gave me the worst result.

Good luck:001_cool:

Edit - just to add to your point on blades. Derbys suit me great, but they are the only blade I have tried as yet. A lot of people say it is all about finding YOUR ideal combo of prep/blade/soap/cream.

Last edited:

And if that's the case, I guess there will be some serius Palmolive hoarding the next days. :laugh:
Palmolive cream is infact the only shaving product that are sold in stores here, and I have thought about buying one, but I haven't heard anything about untill now.

Well I've read the reviews on here, and it is sold in the supermarkets here, and cheap too.

I don't know the jury (me) is still out, tonight I have decided to try the 39C slant and the rest of the set up stays the same......fingers crossed

Top Bottom