What's new

Omega x MoonSWATCH

I am wearing my Omega Seamaster right now and will be buying one of these Omega/Swatch watches if I run across them. I am travelling on Wed so hopefully the airport duty free has them as they alway have a pantload of Swatches. 👍

Unfortunately as much as I want one, or two, I don't see these ever being easily obtainable at the retail price.

There's never going to be a such thing as a “cheap Omega"

Yes Swatch have said they're not limited, and would be available online etc.. However, based on the global demand/ hype, online they'll be snapped up by bots for scalping, as they will in stores.

Swatch will say "They were never limited, we released and sold 300,000-500,000 of them" but millions of people now want them. This will not be a permanent item in the swatch catalogue.

I would have camped out for the allotted two. But alas, no store in my area.

I considered and rejected commissioning my daughter and one of her classmates to do the same but rejected the idea as they are 7 weeks from graduations and simply have too much on their plates w their final theses etc.

While I am not surprise they are fetching a premium, it will be interesting to see where their "street' price settles i.e. models from the present catalog Rolex Stainless Steel watches are 1.5 to 3x retail on the grey market.

Given the lower price point, I suspect a 4x to 6x when the dust settles.

If they go online with some availability, I like the dial of the Saturn version for a sub 300.00 knock around.

Scalpers Ahoy - the first listings :facep:
I hate this, though realize it's inevitable. I can only hope that the statement these are not going to be limited rings true. It'll take a while for the dust to settle. Hopefully prices don't go up too much as it is. They are, at current retail, already at what I consider to be a "high end" for a purchase like this.

I hate this, though realize it's inevitable. I can only hope that the statement these are not going to be limited rings true. It'll take a while for the dust to settle. Hopefully prices don't go up too much as it is. They are, at current retail, already at what I consider to be a "high end" for a purchase like this.
I talked to a guy from Hungary today, the word is that the „ceramic“ looks/feels quite plasticky…

And you are right 250.00 for a Quartz with only 3 bar WR is already on the steep side when you can have the excellent Citizen Eco Drive 20bar for 180.00

Agreed, 3 bar sounds reasonable - nearly 100ft of water but watches with that spec often seem to leak in a swimming pool for some reason. They certainly wouldn’t pass the NASA flight qualification test.

At least the Omega speedy is still a pretty faithful version of the original one. Some of the current IWC Ingenieur models have an exhibition back. So much for the soft iron Faraday cage and rock solid case! It’s no longer a tool watch in any meaningful sense.

I despise the plastic scratch prone “glass” that Swatch uses instead of actual glass or sapphire crystal. I use my hands a lot and some bumps and scratches are inevitable. For this reason alone I’d never buy one.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I would have camped out for the allotted two. But alas, no store in my area.

I considered and rejected commissioning my daughter and one of her classmates to do the same but rejected the idea as they are 7 weeks from graduations and simply have too much on their plates w their final theses etc.

While I am not surprise they are fetching a premium, it will be interesting to see where their "street' price settles i.e. models from the present catalog Rolex Stainless Steel watches are 1.5 to 3x retail on the grey market.

Given the lower price point, I suspect a 4x to 6x when the dust settles.

If they go online with some availability, I like the dial of the Saturn version for a sub 300.00 knock around.
I don’t doubt 6x or more based on reporting of long lines to purchase. But that’s approaching the low end of the pre owned price for an actual speedmaster.

I’ll stick with the real thing:
EA7A92DD-9512-411A-AEBE-80EABE5F99E7.jpeg

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
I despise the plastic scratch prone “glass” that Swatch uses instead of actual glass or sapphire crystal. I use my hands a lot and some bumps and scratches are inevitable. For this reason alone I’d never buy one.
In that case, don't get the original Speedmaster model actually worn by astronauts on the Moon. It has an acrylic crystal.

tankerjohn

Agreed, 3 bar sounds reasonable - nearly 100ft of water but watches with that spec often seem to leak in a swimming pool for some reason. They certainly wouldn’t pass the NASA flight qualification test.
Exactly! WR ratings are so disconnected from reality. 100ft is a long way down - deeper than most recreational divers go. But 30M WR pretty much equals "don't wear this watch in the rain". 50M might survive an accidental dip in the pool, but you better have at least 100M and a screw-down crown to even think about swimming with it, let alone dive to any shallow depth.

Exactly! WR ratings are so disconnected from reality. 100ft is a long way down - deeper than most recreational divers go. But 30M WR pretty much equals "don't wear this watch in the rain". 50M might survive an accidental dip in the pool, but you better have at least 100M and a screw-down crown to even think about swimming with it, let alone dive to any shallow depth.

Not necessarily. I once spent a week snorkeling in the USVI wearing a Timex Weekender - 30M, no screw down crown - and there was no problem.

Not necessarily. I once spent a week snorkeling in the USVI wearing a Timex Weekender - 30M, no screw down crown - and there was no problem.
I'm pretty sure this is all part of the statistics. Water "resistance" ratings are essentially saying "Hey, the design of this watch SHOULD be good to this depth - but we aren't testing each one, so you could get a dud". This is why a certified or rated watch is always so pricey. Each model was tested, so you should feel confident wearing it in those conditions.
I've seen a table somewhere showing different WR callouts and what activities you should feel confident using them in. I seem to recall the min for a pool use was 50M, but since I can barely recall what day it is without looking at my phone, I wouldn't put any money on that. :D

tankerjohn

That's awesome. I guess the main point is that there is no standardization. How deep were you snorkeling? I doubt you went down a full 30 meters. Weekenders are tough little watches. I love mine! And they're cheap; if the water resistance didn't hold, no big deal. One of those MoonSWATCHs, with all the pusher buttons? Ehhh, I wouldn't take it near a puddle.

I'm pretty sure this is all part of the statistics. Water "resistance" ratings are essentially saying "Hey, the design of this watch SHOULD be good to this depth - but we aren't testing each one, so you could get a dud". This is why a certified or rated watch is always so pricey. Each model was tested, so you should feel confident wearing it in those conditions.
I've seen a table somewhere showing different WR callouts and what activities you should feel confident using them in. I seem to recall the min for a pool use was 50M, but since I can barely recall what day it is without looking at my phone, I wouldn't put any money on that. :D

That's awesome. I guess the main point is that there is no standardization. How deep were you snorkeling? I doubt you went down a full 30 meters. Weekenders are tough little watches. I love mine! And they're cheap; if the water resistance didn't hold, no big deal. One of those MoonSWATCHs, with all the pusher buttons? Ehhh, I wouldn't take it near a puddle.

I think the "minimum ratings" and so on regarding water resistance are a CYA for the company. That way if your 30M watch does floods while snorkeling and you try to push back they can say "we told you not to!".

Bear in mind that the ”real” Speedy has a hesalite crystal, not sapphire. It is definitely prone to scratching and scuffing - it builds character in the watch! In this one sense, the Moon swatch is a faithful replica.

Top Bottom