What's new

Omega vs. Semogue Boar Brushes

On all comparative models, I believe that Omega uses finer bristles all around. Looking at Zach's comparison of an Omega 48 & 49 vs a Semogue 2000, my own 830 vs the 31064 knot, a 50014 knot vs the Semogue 620, my SOC, LE 09, 1250, 1305..... all of the Semogue hairs seem quite thicker when sifting through the knots. While the Omegas are seemingly breaking in quicker, none have felt like they're going to end up quite as soft at the ends as the 830 with the Premium bristle.

The knot geometry is also a bit different. Omega isn't quite as packed, but with less built-in splay from the beginning. My Semogues have all been quite a bit dense (readying for a longer break-in, when combined with the hair thickness), and splayed quite a bit more after a couple of uses. Semogue also comes across with a much nicer build quality, the aluminum setting ring adding an extra touch compared to the black plastic rings used by Omega - which eventually split apart (not crack).

Omega boars are a wonderful value, but I've never really liked their handles. When comparing equal brushes however, the price difference is only a few dollar usually. Some people think that's a decent tradeoff for something they enjoy more aesthetically, like I do with virtually all Semogue. I like the bristle from both companies though, no doubt.

Absolutely spot on. I was going to post essentially the same thing. I have an Omega and a Semogue, and I don't use any badger brushes at all.

Main points: The Omega breaks in easier, is a lot less densely packed, gives up lather easier, is slightly floppier, and never splays anywhere near as much. It lathers creams and soaps with equal aplomb. My Semogue is very densely packed, splays a lot more, took a lot longer to break in, and lathers very well. It tends to be a bit of lather hog, which is the only complaint I have about it. It feels more luxurious on the face than the Omega, but I bowl lather so that doesn't matter much to me.

Finally, the Semogue handle (mine is the 2009 LE) is MUCH more comfortable to hold which making lather. The shape is much more ergonomically sound, at least for my hands.

Top Bottom