What's new

Omega Professional 10098 Boar Shaving Brush

Arrived today and pleasantly surprised that the tips are already split! I had a whole break in routine planned but apparently I'm going to have to find something else to do over the next few days. :)

proxy.php
proxy.php

Anyway, I wanted a new boar after having tried my old one for the first time in years. I had totally forgotten how good boar is and prefer it to my badgers and figured why not get an Omega as they are less than £10! It's a bit longer and bigger than I expected but I really like the old school barber style handle. The handle does feel a bit cheap as it's hollow but the important part, the bristles, are pretty soft for a brand new brush! Nearly all the tips are split to varying degrees and I've got it sat in a mug of soapy water because it absolutely stinks like rancid pig and petrol since I wetted it. Honestly the smell was vile, I remember my old boar smelling like old pig beast but not the strange petroly-turpentiney stench aswell. I lathered up some cheap Wilkinson sword tub soap over and over again to wash it a bit. I also noticed that while squeezing out the lather from the brustles in between reload it came out a little yellow, the first wash off came out the most dirty and less so after each rinse out. I'm gonna dry it over night and do the relathering process one more time tomorrow to get the last bit of stink out if it's still there (It most likely will be) and then just go on to using it.

Not a review of course but an observation on the tips and stink. ;)

Anyone else got one? your thoughts on it's style, size and overall performance?

Cheers

I love new brush smell.

I have the 10098, and like its performance, but the size of it makes it kind of unwieldy in my tiny, limited shelf-space bathroom. I use the 10048 more (same knot size and loft, I believe).

It was my first brush (three months ago) chosen because of price and boar's legendary status among Italian barbers on YouTube. My son, who started DE shaving last summer, had an entry level cheap badger. I purchased one of these for him too. We are very happy with these brushes and see no need to get anything more expensive. I did get a Yaqi Sagrada Familia on sale just to try a synthetic. I switch between the 2 equally, getting great results from both. I have no brush RAD with these very economical choices. Go Boars!

The Omega Pro 48 is my first brush and is the lather champion of my rotation. Nothing I’ve tried is as efficient. The handle has started to crack and I’ll have to replace it and get a better handle. I’ll bet the 10098 makes great lather.

The Omega Pro 48 is my first brush and is the lather champion of my rotation. Nothing I’ve tried is as efficient. The handle has started to crack and I’ll have to replace it and get a better handle. I’ll bet the 10098 makes great lather.
To replace your Pro 48, have a look at the Omega 20102. This is a pro-size Omega brush with a much nicer handle. It looks like a high loft, but the stiffness of the bristles keeps it all under control, so it is not floppy.
omega-20102.png

I got one just like that recently. It really stank. Took maybe 10 lathering to lessen, including days soaking in cold and hot contrast baths......and then one dip in vinegar and water -- this might have solved it all. Brush is good!! Interestingly I have a smaller omega boar and that one will NOT soften....it's been 2 years and I have tried everything....I must admit I dislike it a lot. Finally unrelated, Omega mixed boar/badger.....this was tough when new but now is the best small brush...love it.

The top end of the brush actually twists, I thought it would unscrew and come off but it doesn't appear to. I'm gonna consider filling the handle to prevent cracking as it doesn't feel all that tough and the seam is a little sharp so I'll sand it smooth. Got it soaking a bit more and will soap it up one more time later and then use it tomorrow on my face for the first time.

I had a sniff earlier and it doesn't smell too bad!

Arrived today and pleasantly surprised that the tips are already split! I had a whole break in routine planned but apparently I'm going to have to find something else to do over the next few days. :)

proxy.php
proxy.php

Anyway, I wanted a new boar after having tried my old one for the first time in years. I had totally forgotten how good boar is and prefer it to my badgers and figured why not get an Omega as they are less than £10! It's a bit longer and bigger than I expected but I really like the old school barber style handle. The handle does feel a bit cheap as it's hollow but the important part, the bristles, are pretty soft for a brand new brush! Nearly all the tips are split to varying degrees and I've got it sat in a mug of soapy water because it absolutely stinks like rancid pig and petrol since I wetted it. Honestly the smell was vile, I remember my old boar smelling like old pig beast but not the strange petroly-turpentiney stench aswell. I lathered up some cheap Wilkinson sword tub soap over and over again to wash it a bit. I also noticed that while squeezing out the lather from the brustles in between reload it came out a little yellow, the first wash off came out the most dirty and less so after each rinse out. I'm gonna dry it over night and do the relathering process one more time tomorrow to get the last bit of stink out if it's still there (It most likely will be) and then just go on to using it.

Cheers
Congratulations. I've had my eye on that model for quite a while now. I'll probably spring for it quite suddenly one day.
I'm a little partial to boar also but I want to say, I'm not a fan of the new way of having them already broken in. I like doing it. It's part of the hobby to me. What's next?Shaving cream in a spray can or something [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Congratulations. I've had my eye on that model for quite a while now. I'll probably spring for it quite suddenly one day.
I'm a little partial to boar also but I want to say, I'm not a fan of the new way of having them already broken in. I like doing it. It's part of the hobby to me. What's next?Shaving cream in a spray can or something [emoji1]

Just buy it already. ;)

The more I think about it I think I agree actually about the prebroken tips, they stole my fun! Lol. I have not heard of it until now and surprised that they bothered to do so with a £9 brush.. if it was a fancy brush maybe but not a cheapy. I would like to add that after its soak earlier the tips have split loads. New the splits were a mm or two long, now they are really long and some splits are longer than my old veteran brush!

Now if I do want to fill the hollow handle it looks like I'm going to have to drill a hole in the base of the and fill it with two part epoxy resin. If I do this I'm going to set a small strong neodymium magnet in there aswell so I can hang it upside down on the underside metal brackets holding up my shaving cabinet/mirror unit!

That’s my favorite omega brush. I have bought them and they had no smell.....but one was the strongest smelling brush I have ever bought. That one smelled like creosote and pickled dog fur. Super weird but finally defunked after some cleaning and use.

The handle leaves some to be desired but I don’t think omega is known for their awesome handles. The boar knots however can be great.

4AE4386D-D6F4-4F71-B646-231F55F66DC4.jpeg

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Cheers

Great looking brush. Enjoy

Just buy it already. ;)

The more I think about it I think I agree actually about the prebroken tips, they stole my fun! Lol. I have not heard of it until now and surprised that they bothered to do so with a £9 brush.. if it was a fancy brush maybe but not a cheapy. I would like to add that after its soak earlier the tips have split loads. New the splits were a mm or two long, now they are really long and some splits are longer than my old veteran brush!

Now if I do want to fill the hollow handle it looks like I'm going to have to drill a hole in the base of the and fill it with two part epoxy resin. If I do this I'm going to set a small strong neodymium magnet in there aswell so I can hang it upside down on the underside metal brackets holding up my shaving cabinet/mirror unit!
That magnet idea is a good one. Thanks for letting me know about the increased splits.

Top Bottom