What's new

Omega Premium Boar

Thanks for all your help. The proraso pro is a great brush! I will get the omega 011842 as well. Into end of the month! I will put up a separate post on it. Thanks for your help. Once purchased!

I would use the Proraso Pro brush for bowl-lathering and the Omega 011842 for face-lathering with such a short loft.
Of course you can use either one either way. Whatever feels good for you.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thread drift to different topics is okay but the thread should remain mainly on the original topic.

Uh, what?

Thead Hijacking by Chan Eil Whiskers.jpg

Please read the book.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I am going to upgrade my account on b&b, I just don't know how many quality posts I have as of yet! The omega 011842 I really like, and affordable. To bad I have to wait till the end of the month to purchase it!:001_cool:

Those are pretty. When I get a thick black hair in a boar (like in the left of your pic), I use a pair of nail clippers to chop it down as far as I can, without forcing the knot hairs apart. I find those hairs can be quite pokey.

These have several so-called guide hairs, but they are not pokey...and will leave them be.

A boar benefits from 48 hours of rest after use, so it makes great sense to have a matched set.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Have you guys had any shedding issues with the connaught omega brush?
I've only used mine 3 times, but it's shed about 3-4 bristles per shave. I know it's normal for them to shed in the beginning, but in my experience once a shedder, always a shedder.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I've only used mine 3 times, but it's shed about 3-4 bristles per shave. I know it's normal for them to shed in the beginning, but in my experience once a shedder, always a shedder.
Brushes normally lose a few bristles that don’t get set when first used. It will become a rarity.

In my experience, the Omegas might shed a lot in the first period (they may even shed for 20 shaves), but they suddenly stop and afterwards the shedding is very sporadic. I can't say the same for Semogues, that even the "non shedders" that i have, seem to shed more regularly, even if it's just 1 bristle at the time.

I guess I must be lucky, of all the many boar brushes I have used none of them ever shed more than 2 or 3 hairs total.
Omega or Semogue.

I guess I must be lucky, of all the many boar brushes I have used none of them ever shed more than 2 or 3 hairs total.
Omega or Semogue.

Luck of the draw or it could be the opposite, that i am the unlucky one. My 1800 has even visible glue overflow problem. You can see excessive glue at the base of the knot on one side of the brush. Nothing that impacts functionality, it just shows that whoever glued it, put a bit too much glue.

These are some other unfortunate reviews from the Semogue 830, which on paper is the flagship acrilic model, so it should be more taken cared of, from US Amazon:

Keep a spare handy.
September 16, 2018
Verified Purchase
The most gently used brush always hung properly on its own stand. And because of travel, it was used intermittently, as well. Yet, after 9 months the brush part fell free of the handle. Plop, into the sink.

Verified Purchase
Rough, brittle, doesn't spread lather well, and bristles fall out every time you use it. Don't buy it. Even the $15 badger hair brush on Amazon is way better.

January 25, 2015
Verified Purchase
***UPDATED***
Ok I used this for a year after it broke in it was great and became my favorite boar brush. One year later it broke and became detached from the handle so I threw it away I ordered it Jan 11 2015 and it broke Feb 8th 2016, don't waste the $$ on this one buy a quality brush and spend the extra $$ on it.

June 11, 2017
Verified Purchase
Brush hairs fall out like crazy, 5-10 a shave. knot is really poorly done. I paid 23 and highly disappointed. Had a omega for yrs with zero issues like this, and it cost only 10 dollars.

Broke after a while.
February 16, 2017
Well, started out great, bristles broke in nicely but after about 6 months the practice handle developed a crack on the side. Not an isolated thing, I gave my son the same brush and he had the same problem despite hanging it so that the bristle pointed down towards the counter top. I also made sure to dry the bristle as much as possible and shake out the excess water...still broke.

August 21, 2015
Verified Purchase
I am very saddened to announce that my brush's knot completely fell out while I was shaving. It seems that the knot is just glued in to the handle with a very small amount of glue as there was very little in the whole that was left in the handle when the brush fell out. So, I got 4 months out of a brush that is supposed to last a lifetime. As a brush, in working order, I loved it. Great lather, great exfoliation, great retention. Very sad and was hoping the product would last longer.

October 25, 2013
Verified Purchase
UPDATE (9/7/2017) : Handle keeps separating from the brush and I keep super-gluing them.

This is my first real shaving brush. Being introduced to wet-shaving a few months ago, I had been shaving with a $5 brush all the while. I received this brush and immediately shaved with it.

I must mention that I only use home-made goat-milk shaving soaps and like to build lather on my face, and this is where this little brush shines! This thing ate up that soap cake and build 3x as much as lather than from my $5 brush! If you can't build lather from a particular soap, you need to blame the brush..not the soap. Anyways, this is definitely a keeper. I'll order the 620 next time and keep these two in my rotation.

I'm glad I didn't spend $200 on a Simpson. I'll use that money to buy novelty soaps and more straight razors. The only downside to this brush is the smell...it's truly awful. Kinda like rubbing dead boar on your face. That smell still remains after applying aftershave! But anyways, I'm very impressed by this brush and it works best with hard soaps and face lathering.

Lather up with this top quality brush.
October 11, 2014
Verified Purchase
UPDATE: This product lasted 1 year exactly until the brush separated from the base. I stored it standing on its base instead of hanging, so this may have added to the short lived adhesion.

I really enjoy using this brush. I usually soak it in hot water while I shower. It is very smooth and comfortable on my face. It has enough strength to hold up to vigorous lathering. It holds plenty of lather too. Easy grip in my hand, tapered base ensures it won't slip while using it. I do a hand lather and I add tiny amounts of water from the tap as I lather to regulate the froth. I've used it several months and I think I've lost only one bristle.

It's taken me a few weeks to master the art of DE shaving but I'll never go back to those overpriced plastic blades.

Top Bottom