What's new

Omega Hi brush or Yaqi synth

How does this brush splays? Are you satisfied in that detail?

Spaly wise I found that if you push down on the brush when larthering you get a lot of spring back pressure. So for me it's best to use just the tips of the brush. With minimal pressure.

I used erasmic soap today and with almost no water in the brush it lathered up a rich thick cream type lather that was then painted on as apossed to swirled on the face.

First shave , and what can I say. All those who say its too stiff or too springy, well their right. But and there always is one. That stiffness serves well for ripping into hard and awkward soaps. I got a lather from palmolive that was like that of a £10 soap not a 50 pence stick. Also I noticed that as I'm a shower shaver the stiffness became less the more it became warm in the shower. Another thing was not to press down on to the skin when lathering, minimal pressure left me as I say with mounds of lather and a felling as good as my Muhle synth or my first gen Kent infinity brush. This Omega is somewhere inbetween the both. A good hefty handle made of some form of laminate wood only let down by the Omega lettering coming off at the end of the shower and shave. Drying time was as quick as any synth I've had, just a few mins.

All in for me well worth the few quid I paid on the bay for new in box with tags, and I got an Omega chrome stand in the deal. Less that a tenner all in. Would I pay full price??? Only if cheaper. The Kent synth is cheaper and softer. So it boils down to personal preference, stiff as a new Omega boar versus a nice silky silver tip. For me I like boar. YMMV ; )

I also have the Hi Brush. The brush was my first, so I really don't have much of a comparison. After about six months of continuous use I noticed that it started to get a little softer. It is at the point where I can splay it on my face, before then it was mostly paint brush style. I would think that the Hi Brush would ideal for hard soaps. The backbone is quite strong. It is really in a class of its own. good or bad?

MM879

Omega has a new one called the black hi-brush on Connaught. Anyone tried that one yet?

How is it different from the regular hi-brush and s-brush?

Omega has a new one called the black hi-brush on Connaught. Anyone tried that one yet?

How is it different from the regular hi-brush and s-brush?

It's a beauty isn't it?
proxy.php

In Omega's words: "Omega Black Fiber Hi-Brush Olive Wood Shaving Brush. Its synthetic fibers are made of PBT, with the Black HI-Brush technology. It is extraordinarily similar to the natural black badger hair thanks to it firmness and softness".

It's a beauty isn't it?
proxy.php

In Omega's words: "Omega Black Fiber Hi-Brush Olive Wood Shaving Brush. Its synthetic fibers are made of PBT, with the Black HI-Brush technology. It is extraordinarily similar to the natural black badger hair thanks to it firmness and softness".
This one is a beauty. Much nicer than the wooden semogue handles. The ones on Connaught, not so much.

And I don't trust their words. They said their s brushes are like boars. Its not. At least not my s10018.

Just Google "Omega BHB 196819" and check the first result. For what I know they are the only reseller of that particular model.

Reading about the brush (the one with the vintage logo) I have discovered that the academy sells a starter kit (including the brush and a book about straight razors in the fancy vintage cardboard box you can see in the background of the picture) for 50 euros but I have no clue whether they ship international.
This is their e-mail address [email protected]

I'd go with a Yaqi; I regret buying my Hi-brush synthetic as the backbone is insane, greater than a cashmere knot. Also, Yaqi handles are more attractive in my opinion. And lastly, dollar for dollar Yaqi wins.

I'd go with a Yaqi; I regret buying my Hi-brush synthetic as the backbone is insane, greater than a cashmere knot.
It's pretty hard to find a synthetic brush with LESS backbone then a cashmere - only the original Plisson Pour l'Occitane is floppier IMHO.

It's pretty hard to find a synthetic brush with LESS backbone then a cashmere - only the original Plisson Pour l'Occitane is floppier IMHO.
The cashmere knot I got has more backbone then my Synbad and Timberwolf, which are great knots. The only synthetic brush I have with more backbone is my Omega Hi-Brush 0146650 Carbon Fiber look, both brushes were instant regrets.

Top Bottom