What's new

Omega Hi brush or Yaqi synth

Have spied a new omega 0146751 layered wood handle Hi brush for my max bid of £10 or should I go with a yaqi brush for £12?

Its this yaqi Im thinking of.

24MM-Yaqi-Sagrada-Familia-Black-White-Synthetic-Fibre-Men-Shave-Brushes.jpg_640x640.jpg

Or this Omega

46751__43965.1489747587.500.659.jpg

Last edited:
Since I've discovered the joys of synthetics, my two boars (Omega & Semogue) sit alone in my closet,
not being used at all. I'm loving my Yaqi Tuxedo. So .... I vote for the Yaqi (and that is a beautiful handle !)

Omega hi brush is synthetic. I don't read a lot of comments here and don't have one myself. But others do speak well in other forums.

Omega hi brush is synthetic. I don't read a lot of comments here and don't have one myself. But others do speak well in other forums.

I only have experience with the Yaqi, so that's why “my vote” is for the Yaqi. Never tried an Omega synthetic, having only used their boar, so I can't comment on it. But heck, for the absurdly low price of both these fine looking brushes, why not buy them both and enjoy ! You deserve to be good to yourself.

Hi had an Omega s-brush and I thought it was awful. I did not even know that synthetic brushes can shed.
But if an Omega Hi Brush is what you want, I'd get the one with the beehive handle (0146081). Those are exceptionally ergonomically comfortable handles.

I am (re)discovering synthetic brushes. I sold a Muhle Kosmo 4 years ago, to which I never warmed.
I recently took delivery of a Maggard 30mm and it is a wonderful piece of gear.

Have spied a new omega 0146751 layered wood handle Hi brush for my max bid of £10 or should I go with a yaqi brush for £12?
If you enjoy massaging your face with a wire brush, and splattering lather all over the bathroom (do keep the door shut!), the Omega Hi-Brush is the one for you!

A LITTLE BACKGROUND:
I'm one of those naturally "tidy" people. I can spend the whole day decorating without getting a spot of paint on my skin or clothes (I am always somewhat bemused by the large majority of "decorators" whose overalls, and usually their skin too, are just about completely covered with paint).

I'd never splattered lather anywhere (except on the parts of my face that I wanted to shave) till I got a Hi-Brush. I currently have too many brushes of all sorts.

Out of your two choices I'd certainly go for the Yaqi. (I also have Yaqi synthetics.) My all time favorite synthetic brush is the humble Omega S-Brush, the red S10065 in particular.

That's just my tuppenceworth (and opinion) you understand. :wink2:

Last edited:
Well guys the bay auction finished this morning at 0730 hours (I'm still in bed a sleep...its Sunday) I put my max bid on last night on the omega half hoping some one would out bid bid me. This morning guess what? I won total bid with postage is £8.40 about $12. Or so.

I like omega boar brushes and they are up there with usability and price for me so we'll see how it goes. The yaqi has been saved and noted for after payday just incase the omega is........ well lets leave it there shall we.

Thanks for the advice and opinion regards these two.

For what it’s worth, I like The Omega S Brush over the Hi-Brush. I’ve tried the Hi-Brush and it never splayed property. The S-Brush feels very much like a good boar nice stiffness and a good splaying.

If you enjoy massaging your face with a wire brush, and splattering lather all over the bathroom (do keep the door shut!), the Omega Hi-Brush is the one for you!

A LITTLE BACKGROUND:
I'm one of those naturally "tidy" people. I can spend the whole day decorating without getting a spot of paint on my skin or clothes (I am always somewhat bemused by the large majority of "decorators" whose overalls, and usually their skin too, are just about completely covered with paint).

I'd never splattered lather anywhere (except on the parts of my face that I wanted to shave) till I got a Hi-Brush. I currently have too many brushes of all sorts.

Out of your two choices I'd certainly go for the Yaqi. (I also have Yaqi synthetics.) My all time favorite synthetic brush is the humble Omega S-Brush, the red S10065 in particular.

That's just my tuppenceworth (and opinion) you understand. :wink2:

+1

I've tried them both. The S-brush is for masochists. The Yaqi is great.

Have a Hi Brush, S Brush, Yaqui...and a few others.
Only thing that beats them all is the Muhle STF V.2
The Hi Brush is a real close second

I have both and like both - just that they are different. The Omega Hi has some backbone - but not, for me, as some folks here say. It has no more backbone than a boar brush. For me, the brush that splatters over the mirror and everywhere else is the Plisson Cade. The Yaqi is softer - but, for me, doesn't load as much as the Hi.

Well it's eventually arrived. Not used d and t so far, but it feels kinda in between my Kent synth and muhle synth. Nice handle I reckon

IMG_20180326_134555821.jpg

First shave , and what can I say. All those who say its too stiff or too springy, well their right. But and there always is one. That stiffness serves well for ripping into hard and awkward soaps. I got a lather from palmolive that was like that of a £10 soap not a 50 pence stick. Also I noticed that as I'm a shower shaver the stiffness became less the more it became warm in the shower. Another thing was not to press down on to the skin when lathering, minimal pressure left me as I say with mounds of lather and a felling as good as my Muhle synth or my first gen Kent infinity brush. This Omega is somewhere inbetween the both. A good hefty handle made of some form of laminate wood only let down by the Omega lettering coming off at the end of the shower and shave. Drying time was as quick as any synth I've had, just a few mins.

All in for me well worth the few quid I paid on the bay for new in box with tags, and I got an Omega chrome stand in the deal. Less that a tenner all in. Would I pay full price??? Only if cheaper. The Kent synth is cheaper and softer. So it boils down to personal preference, stiff as a new Omega boar versus a nice silky silver tip. For me I like boar. YMMV ; )

Top Bottom