What's new

Omega EVO vs Simpson’s Chubby 2 Synthetic Comparison

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Gave these two a side by side shave today to see how they compare. These brushes are two of the most often named synthetic brushes on the forum as of late, and they share being hand tied and produced in house with their respective companies rather than being mass produced someplace. I thought members here might appreciate the comparison.

I lathered the right side of my face with the EVO and the left side with the Chubby 2 Synthetic. I also did my best not to be biased as I am a big fan of the Chubby series in general.

These brushes, as with all synthetics, have a few things in common: Very quick to load and create lather, no soaking required, very easy to use. Both of these brushes are still very new as well. They both got washed when new, the Simpson got its 2nd shave and the EVO got its 1st after drying from being new.

Here are the differences I have noticed...

Softness: There is a clear difference here. The EVO, while new, has a faint prickle. Not sure if this will fade away over time or not, but I noticed it. I primarily only feel it when my skin first makes contact with the brush and I give it a bit of pressure to splay. The Chubby takes more pressure to splay due to the greater density yet has no hint of prickle on my skin. The Chubby wins in softness.

Drying: Both brushes dry faster than any natural hair brush, however the EVO seems to dry twice as fast. This is likely due to the density. The EVO can dry fast enough to shave with twice per day, at least here in Phoenix with very low humidity. The winner in drying speed is easily the EVO.

Backbone: This one is pretty obvious. The Chubby has more backbone and takes a little more pressure to splay, but not by much. No winner here since this is obviously subjective.

Lathering speed: This is where I was surprised. As advertised, the EVO holds water almost as well as a badger hair brush. I would have hypothesized that this would lead to a better lathering experience. My test soap was LASS Bespoke #1. Loaded both brushes for about 20 seconds and made sure they appeared to have been loaded plenty well. To my surprise, the Chubby 2 gave me a better hydrated lather in about half the time. I had to add more water in drops to the EVO to get the same quality of lather. Then at the end of the shave, a gentle squeeze gave me more lather from the Chubby knot that the EVO knot in spite of the EVO having less density and the ability to hold water with its proprietary weave.

This comparison is based on 1 shave and the brushes are both still quite new, but if I had to pick a winner based on my early experience with these brushes the clear winner would be the Chubby 2 Synthetic. It felt softer on my face and produced an excellent lather more quickly than the EVO. Time will tell if they break in enough to even out.

Hope the comparison is helpful. Feel free to ask about other factors I may have neglected.

Attachments

• F5072333-BBAD-4498-8752-C413AD9A523C.jpeg
    F5072333-BBAD-4498-8752-C413AD9A523C.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 171
I also found the CH2 to feel softer and more premium than the EVO. My only complaint about the CH2 is that the whole thing is rather small. I can't wait for the CH3 synth to come out :a14:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I also found the CH2 to feel softer and more premium than the EVO. My only complaint about the CH2 is that the whole thing is rather small. I can't wait for the CH3 synth to come out :a14:

I understand this sentiment. In a synthetic, I find I prefer different knot sizes than I do with Badger. The Chubby 2 in badger grades is actually on the larger side of the range I enjoy size-wise, but since synthetics don’t “bloom” like badgers the same knot size feels smaller and more stick-like in a synthetic. The Chubby 2 Synthetic is a fine size for me, but I wouldn’t go any smaller in a synthetic than this.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I have my shipment with the Chubby 2 Synthetic and EVO coming this Thursday : ) so I will chime in at some point with my comparison for the 2 as well! Side Note: The package has been in transit for more than a month.....SMH (ordered from spain, just got to the USA yesterday)

My EVO came from WCS so it arrived quickly. My Chubby 2 took a couple weeks, though. I paid for the faster shipping for 7 business days but it doubled that due to customs delays.

Great review @IMightBeWrong 😀

Have your thoughts changed since the initial use/review...?

Has either of the two brushes "evolved" into a better brush / more pleasant experience, over time?

Any change in backbone? Asking, as some folks report CH2 loosing some of the original stiffness with time. What would you say?

Any regrets with either brush...?

I'd be much obliged if you could share some thoughts.

I have my shipment with the Chubby 2 Synthetic and EVO coming this Thursday : ) so I will chime in at some point with my comparison for the 2 as well! Side Note: The package has been in transit for more than a month.....SMH (ordered from spain, just got to the USA yesterday)
@herbert7890, I'd be grateful if you'd chime in? 😀

@herbert7890, I'd be grateful if you'd chime in? 😀

Dear sir, i believe the gentleman in the video is also a vendor of shaving supplies in the US, you may be interested in his opinion on the matter too. Since you already have the Trafalgar. It might help understand the differences compared to your current brush.

Also this gentleman is a rather famous for his preference on synthetics youtube wetshaver. I believe he has almost every synthetic knot ever been in the market. He makes a comment between previous Simpsons synthetics and Trafalgar in the video.

Last edited:

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
Great review @IMightBeWrong 😀

Have your thoughts changed since the initial use/review...?

Has either of the two brushes "evolved" into a better brush / more pleasant experience, over time?

Any change in backbone? Asking, as some folks report CH2 loosing some of the original stiffness with time. What would you say?

Any regrets with either brush...?

I'd be much obliged if you could share some thoughts.

So, yeah, I'd say there's been some change. My first Evo I gave to my father. A while later I got another one. Unfortunately the other one fell and shattered. I am not very happy with the quality of the Omega handles and the knots are not inserted normally, the base of the knot is actually round, so I'm not confident it can even be reknotted with the bulb like shape of the base of the knot rather than a simple capped look. That said, the second knot I got from Omega I liked more. Quite soft. I also got a Duke synthetic that's not as nice as my first Chubby 2 Synthetic. I would say that I would probably prefer the Omega Evo knot right now by a small bit, though the Chubby whips up lather slightly faster which is also nice.

So, yeah, I'd say there's been some change. My first Evo I gave to my father. A while later I got another one. Unfortunately the other one fell and shattered. I am not very happy with the quality of the Omega handles and the knots are not inserted normally, the base of the knot is actually round, so I'm not confident it can even be reknotted with the bulb like shape of the base of the knot rather than a simple capped look. That said, the second knot I got from Omega I liked more. Quite soft. I also got a Duke synthetic that's not as nice as my first Chubby 2 Synthetic. I would say that I would probably prefer the Omega Evo knot right now by a small bit, though the Chubby whips up lather slightly faster which is also nice.
Great insights, tnx!!

Top Bottom