What's new

Omega EVO synth shaving brush

I'm thinking of buying an Omega EVO shaving brush. But I wonder, is it really worth €60?
Besides some boars I have an Omega Hi-Brush 0146711 and a Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetics.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Very interesting thread. Thanks.

Expensive brush for a synthetic. Is it worth trying? Not, so far, for me, but I'm not a synthetics guy. Still, it's absolutely a brush I want to hear more about and consider so I'm looking forward to more information.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Considering what Muhle charges for similar synthetic fiber knots + the Omega knot size (28mm), it's worth it if you are a fan of Muhle-style synthetic silvertip fibers. The EVO isn't going to make anyone a believer in synthetics if they don't already enjoy synthetics, however.

I'm thinking of buying an Omega EVO shaving brush. But I wonder, is it really worth €60?
Besides some boars I have an Omega Hi-Brush 0146711 and a Yaqi Sagrada Familia synthetics.
If you look around you will find that there are a few of these brushes in the wild so far and the reviews have been very positive so far. From what I've read it is very different from the Hi-brush in that its much softer and not springy at all.

If you look around you will find that there are a few of these brushes in the wild so far and the reviews have been very positive so far. From what I've read it is very different from the Hi-brush in that its much softer and not springy at all.
I wouldn't say that the EVO is not springy at all, but it's less so than most of the popular synthetics. There's also a fair amount of backbone with nice plush tips. The brush holds water almost like a badger, unlike most other synthetic knots, which hold water at the base of the knot only. Anyone who's tried a Muhle silvertip fiber brush should have a good idea of how this will feel.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
I've read good things about this brush, and also think they look awesome, but I'm waiting until they are more readily available and less expensive.

Reactions: abj
It's probably worth it for people looking for that specific type of synthetic. For most people, just any synthetic will work fine but EVO is more of a luxury item. From the reviews, it looks like a pretty solid brush. I might pick one up on the BST or something but I haven't seen one yet.

Reactions: abj
I've yet to use an evo.

It's no secret I love my Yaqi brushes and have dozens of them but if I'm asked which is the best synthetic fibre on the market, I'd have to say the Muhle/EJ Silvertip fibre!

I would love to read some comparison reviews between the evo and STF.

I wouldn't say that the EVO is not springy at all, but it's less so than most of the popular synthetics. There's also a fair amount of backbone with nice plush tips. The brush holds water almost like a badger, unlike most other synthetic knots, which hold water at the base of the knot only. Anyone who's tried a Muhle silvertip fiber brush should have a good idea of how this will feel.
If you go back and re-read my post you will see I mentioned the EVO wasn't as springy as the Hi-Brush that the OP had, not other synths on the market...
I've read good things about this brush, and also think they look awesome, but I'm waiting until they are more readily available and less expensive.
You're going to be waiting an awful long time if you think Omega's prices are going to come down!! I think the only time I've seen them drop a price was when they discontinued the product.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
If you go back and re-read my post you will see I mentioned the EVO wasn't as springy as the Hi-Brush that the OP had, not other synths on the market...

You're going to be waiting an awful long time if you think Omega's prices are going to come down!! I think the only time I've seen them drop a price was when they discontinued the product.
You may be right about the prices, but it's ok with me, plenty of other very nice brushes to choose from. I'm looking at the Simpson's Trafalgar T3 synthetic also.

The Omega Evo is a great brush.

My two favorite brushes are the AP ShaveCo 2Bed which is a very good synthetic interpretation of an old worn-in pure badger. It isn't overly dense and it splays if you so much as look at it, and it is just a tad skritchy but it lathers well and it "feels right" to me because it reminds me of the old TOBS pure badger that was my first brush and brings back good memories.

The Evo synth is a step up from that. It's a dense soft-tipped lather monster. It isn't very springy as has been mentioned. It splays naturally with moderate pressure even though it is dense. It paints beautifully too. It feels like a highend brush and the head is big and generous. I've never used a better synthetic. If the price doesn't bother you and you like big dense luxurious knots, it's a great choice. Ruds has a good review of it.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If you have this brush and also have calipers and are so inclined I'd appreciate you measuring the knot and the loft of this brush.

I'd like to know how your measurements correspond with the published specs which are as follows:
  • Knot 28 mm
  • Loft 55 mm
I'd also like to hear any comments about the brush's glue bump if it has one you notice.

Thanks and happy shaves,

Jim

I first shaved with the Omega EVO about six weeks ago, and a friend of mine asked for my take on it after six weeks of rather heavy use.

OMEGA EVO Marble Ovale E1855.png

I am currently 19 shaves in with the EVO, and I really like it. Five of the shaves were in done in February. These shaves convinced me I could live happily with the EVO during the FFFMM, and they also gave me the opportunity to lather with four other soaps. There was no trouble picking up product with any of these soaps, including a hard soap like Pre de Provence No. 63. The EVO loads well, lathers quickly, and easily generates enough slick, hydrated lather for three passes and touch ups. I have an embarrassing number of synthetic brushes, and I like the EVO better than all except possibly the Muhle STF.

My preferences are largely personal. The main thing I like about the EVO is the feel – not springy, not floppy, splays right (for me), and has soft tips but still enough backbone. Mind you, I do not require as much backbone as some people seem to prefer, but I do like some backbone. I typically shave with two band badgers. On the down side, if you are looking for scrub, I would say to look elsewhere. A few other observations about the EVO:
  • It is hard for me to compare the EVO with other synthetics because I am adhering to the Fixed Four restrictions. I have not exercised the same discipline of consistent use with any other brush, and the Fixed Four prohibits the shaving equivalent of a one-night stand.
  • I had previously said the EVO stood out because of how much water it held. Upon reflection, I don't have enough data to justify that, because I don't keep close enough tabs on the improvements going on all over the synthetic brush world. I do know that the EVO excels in my experience, and that if you soak either the Muhle or the EVO and just let them drip, you will have more water in the brush than you need to wet load for three passes and touch ups. However, if you are face lathering, the EVO retains more water in the brush during the build, leaves less all over the sink, and still loads more than enough soap to do the job.
  • Looking from the top down, the EVO and Muhle seem about equally dense as nearly as I can tell. However, Omega says that EVO hair has "wider base diameter" and "special undulation" (aka irregular surface IIRC), so the base of the knots may be quite different, and they may hold water differently.
  • I was concerned about the grip on this model, but the grip is surprisingly sure and effortless.
  • The EVO has shed only one hair. I wish I could say the same. 🙁

I will end by stressing how much I think the Fixed Four regimen changes the game and therefore makes comparisons dicey. My remarks are a best effort to be fair and thorough, but in case it is not obvious, they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Great knot with next generation fibres that are awesome soft and will surely change some users view on synthetics. Great handles but the price is a problem IMO.

That being said some folks pay $300-$1000 for custom badger without blinking...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I first shaved with the Omega EVO about six weeks ago, and a friend of mine asked for my take on it after six weeks of rather heavy use.

View attachment 1078650

I am currently 19 shaves in with the EVO, and I really like it. Five of the shaves were in done in February. These shaves convinced me I could live happily with the EVO during the FFFMM, and they also gave me the opportunity to lather with four other soaps. There was no trouble picking up product with any of these soaps, including a hard soap like Pre de Provence No. 63. The EVO loads well, lathers quickly, and easily generates enough slick, hydrated lather for three passes and touch ups. I have an embarrassing number of synthetic brushes, and I like the EVO better than all except possibly the Muhle STF.

My preferences are largely personal. The main thing I like about the EVO is the feel – not springy, not floppy, splays right (for me), and has soft tips but still enough backbone. Mind you, I do not require as much backbone as some people seem to prefer, but I do like some backbone. I typically shave with two band badgers. On the down side, if you are looking for scrub, I would say to look elsewhere. A few other observations about the EVO:
  • It is hard for me to compare the EVO with other synthetics because I am adhering to the Fixed Four restrictions. I have not exercised the same discipline of consistent use with any other brush, and the Fixed Four prohibits the shaving equivalent of a one-night stand.
  • I had previously said the EVO stood out because of how much water it held. Upon reflection, I don't have enough data to justify that, because I don't keep close enough tabs on the improvements going on all over the synthetic brush world. I do know that the EVO excels in my experience, and that if you soak either the Muhle or the EVO and just let them drip, you will have more water in the brush than you need to wet load for three passes and touch ups. However, if you are face lathering, the EVO retains more water in the brush during the build, leaves less all over the sink, and still loads more than enough soap to do the job.
  • Looking from the top down, the EVO and Muhle seem about equally dense as nearly as I can tell. However, Omega says that EVO hair has "wider base diameter" and "special undulation" (aka irregular surface IIRC), so the base of the knots may be quite different, and they may hold water differently.
  • I was concerned about the grip on this model, but the grip is surprisingly sure and effortless.
  • The EVO has shed only one hair. I wish I could say the same. 🙁

I will end by stressing how much I think the Fixed Four regimen changes the game and therefore makes comparisons dicey. My remarks are a best effort to be fair and thorough, but in case it is not obvious, they need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thank you very much, my friend.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Tempting brush but I find the handles pretty awful....not the
shapes per se...but the garish logo sprawled all over them. Both Omega and EVO look
like they were designed a 100 years apart. Would have preferred if they had
that embossed on the underside.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Tempting brush but I find the handles pretty awful....not the
shapes per se...but the garish logo sprawled all over them. Both Omega and EVO look
like they were designed a 100 years apart. Would have preferred if they had
that embossed on the underside.

I'm pretty much in favor of all handles being marked only on their bottoms, but mostly they're marked however the manufacturer or vendor decides. We have lots of options and can buy or not buy what we want or don't want which is really great.

Really great for the most part. With this knot, if what I've read is correct, the knot is the selling point, and perhaps the knot is unique. If so, we have to take one of the manufacturer's marked on the side handles along with one of the knots if we want the knot.

Fortunately, I like the look of some of the handles Omega offers in the Evo. I'd still prefer the markings on the bottom though.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Omego.EVO.brand-new.3-4-20.640.JPG

I also ordered an Omega Evo. Pictured above brand new.

Since I'm doing the Fixed I haven't used the brush in a shave, and won't before April, but I received permission from Cal to lather up with the brush (not before a shave of course) and have done that about three times I think.

1585518968858.png

It's a smaller brush than its 28 mm knot measurement might suggest.

1585520506069.png

I'm very glad it's not smaller. As a face latherer I find the size okay but any smaller would not suit me. It seems medium sized to me and not large.

The knot's height is 50 mm and not the advertised 55 mm. There's a glue bump which I can feel if I mash very hard.

I've never felt a glue bump with any other brush.

1584203189180.png

Digging around in my wife's stuff I found a long enough pin (about the diameter of a needle). I stuck it into the knot from the top headed straight down towards the handle, in the middle of the brush and knot.

I measured that and did the math.

The glue bump is about 2 mm to 3 mm. That's saying the glue sticks up 2 or 3 mm above the top of the handle, but it's not going to be a problem in normal use.

It feels much more like a good badger silvertip than I expected it to. I believe it has adequate backbone. It lathers, in my very limited experience with it so far, less well than my badgers, but certainly well enough.

There is pretty decent scrub. That's hugely important from my viewpoint. The scrub feels, well, not like the brush is a Manchurian or two band, but okay by first impressions. It's definitely more like a silvertip than a two band or Manchurian, but it's softer than most of my badgers; I'm not sure how its softness compares with my softest Manchurian, the Zenith copper.

1583358252611.png

It holds and releases water very nicely.

Speaking of Manchurians, the Evo has tips, which when dry, feel like dry Manchurian tips. Don't know if that means anything but I noticed it. In use the Evo is very soft on my face.

Is there a word which describes scrubby and soft?

It splays pretty well. I didn't observe problems in that department. No fibers seem to be poking me. There is no scritch that I noticed.

1585519253813.png

I'm no kind of synthetic brush expert. I have not much experience with them. It's a bit too early to be sure about this, but I think this synthetic brush by Omega is going to become the first synthetic I can actually enjoy using.

I like the looks of the brush and the looks of the handle.

I'm glad I purchased the brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Last edited:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1080270

I also ordered an Omega Evo. Pictured above brand new.

Since I'm doing the Fixed I haven't used the brush in a shave, and won't before April, but I received permission from Cal to lather up with the brush (not before a shave of course) and have done that about three times I think.

View attachment 1080271

It's a smaller brush than its 28 mm knot measurement might suggest.

View attachment 1080289

I'm very glad it's not smaller. As a face latherer I find the size okay but any smaller would not suit me. It seems medium sized to me and not large.

The knot's height is 50 mm and not the advertised 55 mm. There's a glue bump which I can feel if I mash very hard.

I've never felt a glue bump with any other brush.

1584203189180.png

Digging around in my wife's stuff I found a long enough pin (about the diameter of a needle). I stuck it into the knot from the top headed straight down towards the handle, in the middle of the brush and knot.

I measured that and did the math.

The glue bump is about 2 mm to 3 mm. That's saying the glue sticks up 2 or 3 mm above the top of the handle, but it's not going to be a problem in normal use.

It feels much more like a good badger silvertip than I expected it to. I believe it has adequate backbone. It lathers, in my very limited experience with it so far, less well than my badgers, but certainly well enough.

There is pretty decent scrub. That's hugely important from my viewpoint. The scrub feels, well, not like the brush is a Manchurian or two band, but okay by first impressions. It's definitely more like a silvertip than a two band or Manchurian, but it's softer than most of my badgers; I'm not sure how its softness compares with my softest Manchurian, the Zenith copper.

1583358252611.png

It holds and releases water very nicely.

Speaking of Manchurians, the Evo has tips, which when dry, feel like dry Manchurian tips. Don't know if that means anything but I noticed it. In use the Evo is very soft on my face.

Is there a word which describes scrubby and soft?

It splays pretty well. I didn't observe problems in that department. No fibers seem to be poking me. There is no scritch that I noticed.

View attachment 1080273

I'm no kind of synthetic brush expert. I have not much experience with them. It's a bit too early to be sure about this, but I think this synthetic brush by Omega is going to become the first synthetic I can actually enjoy using.

I like the looks of the brush and the looks of the handle.

I'm glad I purchased the brush.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The EVO you have looks a lot like the EVO I have on the way (I got the "green stone effect resin handle"). It will be interesting to compare notes.

As an aside, I face lathered today with the Omega Jade this morning. This boar is well broken in and an absolute pleasure to use. Omega really hit a home run with this brush.

YMMV :)

Top Bottom