What's new

Omega Brush Cracks In Ring

Do you dip your brush all the way till that ring in hot water?

The boar absorbs water and in that area the bristles swelling might have stressed out the ring. I read this long back on another forum that boars must be dropped in to the hot water only around 3/4ths of the way.
I let all my animal hair brushes swim in the sink filled with warm water while I'm taking a shower.
Your logic makes sense, maybe I shouldn't... But that's a question I'll ask myself as soon as I have a broken brush. ;)

Envoyé de mon SM-N950W en utilisant Tapatalk

I let all my animal hair brushes swim in the sink filled with warm water while I'm taking a shower.
Your logic makes sense, maybe I shouldn't... But that's a question I'll ask myself as soon as I have a broken brush. ;)

Modern handles have these plastic rings which are more susceptible to cracks due to heat. Older resin handles either had no rings or metal rings (like modern zenith or semogue) which wouldn't cause these issues.

My Omega 10290 has a crack just like that, I noticed it a few years ago after I had dropped it. It is still my favorite brush and gets used a lot, it hasn't effected the performance.

As long as the water is just warm you won't have a problem. Very hot water is what causes the cracking. The bristles heat up faster than the handle, they swell very quickly, the handle can't catch up in time and it cracks.

But it still hasn't stopped my Omega from working perfectly.

This appears to be another example of too much moisture getting trapped in the knot, which then somehow forces its way-out the wrong way, causing the epoxy to explode.

As recommended by many in this thread, its best to avoid very hot water when soaking & washing, but this "might not" be the cause of the crack. The cause of the cracking can be due to a number of things, such as poor ventilation, humidity, cold winter weather which can effect drying times, leaving a soaking wet brush to air-dry without shaking-out enough water, etc.

There are many threads regarding the same issue. I did provide my input in this thread (which was 5 years ago - where has the time gone). I'd also recommend a quick 10 second towel-strop before you leave your brush out to dry. It should help accelerate the drying time, which will in turn minimize the possibility of cracking (no guarantees - cheap plastic handles can & probably will crack at some stage, particularly if they have a stubbier/fatter knot).

I agree with the advice provided by @Demolition . Continue on. The cracks should not affect performance & any attempt to use a glue or epoxy near the bristles might just make it worse.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I have an Omega 10777 that has cracks developing in the plastic handle. The cracks run down each side of the handle directly opposite each other. I have not a abused the brush like I used to others. I don’t drop it in the hot sink water like I used to, I use a ceramic salt holder and only wet the bristles with hot tap water. I suspect that the knot has swelled up and cracked the handle. The knot is still tight in the handle and if it falls apart I will just use the knot in something else. The knot is a good one and I like it. The handle is just okay. I only paid $11.95 Australian for it so it is no great loss if it does eventually fall apart.

I would love to replace the handle on my Pro 48 ... but not sure there are any handles that fit exactly. Totally understand that the cracks might not sacrafice performance. And I don't want to replace the knott because it's broken in so well. :)

Your 10048 comes apart very easy. Hold off on ordering a new handle until you've got the exact measurement of the bare glue bulb, and it shouldn't be any problem to order a handle from anyone who sells handles. I'm doing the same thing with my Omega. Great knot, not so great handle.

I would love to replace the handle on my Pro 48 ... but not sure there are any handles that fit exactly. Totally understand that the cracks might not sacrafice performance. And I don't want to replace the knott because it's broken in so well. :)
Just looked it up. The Omega 48 has a 27mm bulb.

Top Bottom