What's new

Omega bristle hair loss

I bought an Omega 11126 some months ago and have been using it for around 2 months now. However, it’s started losing bristles at an alarming rate - around 3-5 on average each shave.

I know my old Kent VS30 did lose a bristle or two each shave, but not like this.

Has anybody else had this experience?

1) It is advised, when first buy boar brush, to put it in a glass of cold water (up to the base of the knot) or into the fridge (always in glass of water), for 1 day (or at the very least for several hours). This consolidates the knot (and helps tips splitting). Have you done so? If not, try it now.
2) Always try to soak your boar for 5 minutes before using, but not in very hot water. Very hot water can weaken the glue.
3) Don't "crush" the brush against your face. Meaning, avoid 180 degree splaying.
4) Sometimes a brush is just unlucky. I have an Omega 24mm that was shedding a lot for months. However, after molding to the point i was shaking my head, finally it stopped.

Good luck.

Last edited:
I would send correspondence to the vender and/or Omega. This could, if the shedding continues, mark when the problem occurred as far as warranties and such, even if they have no publicized ones, most good manufacturers will replace within certain time periods, perhaps with an inspection first to make sure user didn't misuse(for boars, soaking too deep for example).

Best to provide a little more info @FaPat5 . Has it always been losing 3-5 hairs on average over the last 2 months? Or is this a recent occurrence? Also, how often have you been using it over the last 2 months (an estimation will do)?

I think people can be alarmed if it suddenly starts shedding while it's still brand new (within 30 uses). If it continues to shed "excessively" after 45 uses, then it may well be defective. I would not worry to much if it occasionally sheds 3-5 hairs within 30 uses. Give it a little more time and it should shed less and then eventually stop (you might still get the occasional hair loss in the long run).

Some good tips provided by @Boar Fighter . As mentioned, be gentle and let the tips do their work. If you mash too hard, then you might get "bristle breakage". Agree that a brief soak of the bristles is important beforehand just to soften them and definitely avoid very hot water. Lukewarm is sufficient.

Last edited:
1) It is advised, when first buy boar brush, to put it in a glass of cold water (up to the base of the knot) or into the fridge (always in glass of water), for 1 day (or at the very least for several hours). This consolidates the knot (and helps tips splitting). Have you done so? If not, try it now.
2) Always try to soak your boar for 5 minutes before using, but not in very hot water. Very hot water can weaken the glue.
3) Don't "crush" the brush against your face. Meaning, avoid 180 degree splaying.
4) Sometimes a brush is just unlucky. I have an Omega 24mm that was shedding a lot for months. However, after molding to the point i was shaking my head, finally it stopped.

Good luck.

Done these, but thanks anyway and thanks to everyone else for your posts.

In terms of specifics, the brush lost one or two bristles when I first used it - after 2/3 weeks that increased to 4/5 bristles and now it can be anything from 4-6. I don’t recall a shave where it did not lose hairs. I always soak in warm water before I shave and store on a stand with the bristles down.

Top Bottom