What's new

Omega Boar 011829 Anyone..?

582B0CD5-8DE7-4EBF-ABA3-6711C48DC7C7.jpeg
Saturday? Pooh your Saturday

Fellows, I advise against excessive soaking for faster break in. I did it for the first time of my life and I got bristle loss. Seems logical after all. After hours soaking the glue gives away. I feel pretty sure it´s my own fault. A back-up is on the way.

About two bristles a time. Had it for two or three months or so (I´m the OP BTW) .
It might settle though. But as I like the brush so much I have no hesitation doing a re.order.
I have no business interest in Omegas or Connaught. As I stated before it´s a great one. Trust me.

I've used this only 4 or 5 times and it seems about 95% broken in already. That's the fastest breaking in brush I've ever had. Beautifully soft brush.

Thought I might try and kick this thread back into gear after picking up "round 2" of this brush. Also sold by Connaught, also with the jade resin handle, but without the decal..sold as model 011842.

First impressions of the handle are very positive - hefty, comfortable. However, i would not mind if they shaved another millimeter or two from the concave middle portion. It could make for a better hold and more space to wrap a finger around, but overall it is easy to grip and manouver. I actually kind of regret not having the decal, it puts a focus point on the handle.. Although, getting lost in the wavy resin and deep green colors of the handle is nice too.

I will say this about the knot - at 27/52mm its unlike any of the other small handful of boar knots I've used. As a very general guide, I usually like my boars with a loft/thickness ratio over 2 but I'm willing to venture outside my comfort zone on this one.

Some thoughts..
-natural, un-dyed bristles look better to my eye generally and especially for this brush.
-That short loft / fat knot combo definitely has an effect on the backbone of the knot and what it's like on your face.
-In a word, scrubby!
-It's not particularly easy to splay at this time.
-i have noticed a handful of lost bristles in the first week-ish that I've had the brush.. Could be due to using mostly cold water during a couple test lathers, maybe?
-The darker, thicker guide hairs are a little extended at the tips and might be a little prickly if you put on even moderate pressure. fwiw I expect all these bristles to split and soften, eventually.

First couple shaves have had good lather, but not spectacular. Tried it with Pre de Provence at first and it was a little tough going to get the water balance right. But tonight's shave with Stirling was much more promising and I hope to keep the momentum going. Overall, i have some nitpicks with the brush and might prefer the knot with a little more loft, but I see great potential and appreciate the differences that this brush brings to my den.

Thought I might try and kick this thread back into gear after picking up "round 2" of this brush. Also sold by Connaught, also with the jade resin handle, but without the decal..sold as model 011842.

First impressions of the handle are very positive - hefty, comfortable. However, i would not mind if they shaved another millimeter or two from the concave middle portion. It could make for a better hold and more space to wrap a finger around, but overall it is easy to grip and manouver. I actually kind of regret not having the decal, it puts a focus point on the handle.. Although, getting lost in the wavy resin and deep green colors of the handle is nice too.

I will say this about the knot - at 27/52mm its unlike any of the other small handful of boar knots I've used. As a very general guide, I usually like my boars with a loft/thickness ratio over 2 but I'm willing to venture outside my comfort zone on this one.

Some thoughts..
-natural, un-dyed bristles look better to my eye generally and especially for this brush.
-That short loft / fat knot combo definitely has an effect on the backbone of the knot and what it's like on your face.
-In a word, scrubby!
-i have noticed a handful of lost bristles in the first week-ish that I've had the brush.. Could be due to using mostly cold water during a couple test lathers, maybe?
-The darker, thicker guide hairs are a little extended at the tips and might be a little prickly if you put on even moderate pressure. fwiw I expect all these bristles to split and soften, eventually.

First couple shaves have had good lather, but not spectacular. Tried it with Pre de Provence at first and it was a little tough going to get the water balance right. But tonight's shave with Stirling was much more promising and I hope to keep the momentum going. Overall, i have some nitpicks with the brush and might prefer the knot with a little more loft, but I see great potential and appreciate the differences that this brush brings to my den.
Nice brush but at more than double the average omega pro price, is there any reason to justify it?

Some thoughts..
-In a word, scrubby!

Thank you for an excellent summary.:thumbup:

About two bristles a time. Had it for two or three months or so (I´m the OP BTW) .
It might settle though. But as I like the brush so much I have no hesitation doing a re.order.
I have no business interest in Omegas or Connaught. As I stated before it´s a great one. Trust me.
I like mine too and it's always nice when a fellow countryman posts. Tack (thank you) Henrik.

Top Bottom