What's new

Omega 20102 Boar vs. Proraso (Omega) Boar

I have the most recent version of the Proraso (Omega) Professional Boar. I love it. I love the huge knot (26mm I think) and the high loft. The density, backbone, and softness of tips are just what I love in a boar brush. The loft is high, but the bristles are stiff, giving it great backbone. The soft tips keep it from being harsh or scratchy.

My only complaint.... and not a big one.... is the handle. I love the ergonomics of it, but it's light and cheap feeling. I've been thinking about the Omega 20102 Boar as a similar brush to the Proraso brush, but maybe with a nicer handle. The handle on it looks sturdier, and of better quality overall.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried both and could comment on the quality of the handles in comparison to each other. Also, I'm guessing that the knots are pretty close, but if you perceive any difference in the knots and would like to give your opinions about that, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ben

Have the 20102. Love it. It's not really as heavy on the handle end as you would expect though. I have never used a the proraso brush though...

Have the 20102. Love it. It's not really as heavy on the handle end as you would expect though. I have never used a the proraso brush though...

Thank you. I guess I wouldn't really expect an extremely solid handle from a $15 brush, so it doesn't surprise me that you say that. I like the looks of the handle on the 20102 though. More so than the Proraso.

Thanks again.

Ben

I have the Omega 20102 & I have an SOC boar brush as well. I love the 20102, it is currently my favorite brush. For comparisons sake the 20102 has a bigger knot and less splay. It has plenty of backbone and is less floppy than the SOC. The handle is well built and is every bit the equal of the SOC and arguably better in terms of fit and finish.

Last edited:
I have the Omega 20102 & I have an SOC boar brush as well. I love the 20102, it is currently my favorite brush. For comparisons sake the 20102 has a bigger knot and less splay. It has plenty of backbone and is less floppy than the SOC. The handle is well built and is every bit the equal of the SOC and arguably better in terms of fit and finish.

I have the SOC Boar as well and I have the same impressions that you have regarding the SOC and my Proraso Professional Boar. It surprised me a bit to find out that I enjoy the big, stiff knot of the Proraso Brush, but when the tips are that soft right away without any need for breaking in.... it makes the brush quite enjoyable to use.

Ben

Im going to make a somewhat out there recommendation that may or may not be for you. The vintage Surrey Brush Handles ban be had extremely cheap. They are a heavy handle with the same ergonomics as the Omega You like. You could get one of those and drill it out and purchase an Omega Boar Knot from TGN and install it. It would be exactly what you had in mind. Here is a cool pic of one done:View attachment 414677 You can even paint the inset grooves around the bottom as this person has done. Stunning brush IMO and would look even better with the natural Omega boar knot from TGN in the black ferrule. Anyway a bit of an off the wall suggestion but I thought Id throw it out there.

Huh..... that's an interesting idea. I didn't realize that TGN sold Omega Boar knots. That brush looks very nice. Thanks for the idea.

Ben

Well, I went ahead and placed an order from Maggard Razors for the Omega 20102 Pro Boar:

For $17 and some change shipped, I couldn't pass it up. I received a nice email verification from Casie with Maggard Razors. Something tells me that their customer service is pretty good. This is my first order placed with them.

Ben

I used the Omega 20102 for the first time today. It's a great brush.... but just a bit floppier than the Proraso (Omega) Pro Boar. Still, pretty easy and enjoyable to face lather with..... but I was hoping for the same feel as the Proraso Boar. Gotta say, I like the handle a lot.

Ben

I used the 20102 and the 10048 (which should be similar to the Proraso?). Both knots are great, but the 20102 feels and looks much better.

In fact, the 20102 may easily be my best boar brush.

I used the 20102 and the 10048 (which should be similar to the Proraso?). Both knots are great, but the 20102 feels and looks much better.

In fact, the 20102 may easily be my best boar brush.

Isn't the most recent Proraso brush the Omega 83, while the old Proraso brush was the 48?

Isn't the most recent Proraso brush the Omega 83, while the old Proraso brush was the 48?

Could be ... my Proraso was not bought recently. In fact, it was bought in a small shop near Milano, and it's been a few years since I've been there.

Top Bottom