What's new

Omega 10810 vs 10029

Even though I have way too many boar brushes, I feel like breaking in a new one.

I've got it narrowed down to either the Omega 10029 or the Omega 10810, both listed at 23x50mm. Does anyone have both? They're probably too similar to get both ;-)

I'm looking specifically for a $10-15 Omega that's in between the B&B Essential Boar and Proraso Professional -- a brush with good backbone but not as stiff as the 40033. No big mops as I already have a 10049. The Omega Jade might be perfect, but it's 3x the price.

Any brushes I'm missing?

I don't have the 10029 but the beehive is great. It's probably as close to a big boar as a small boar could get. The backbone is fantastic in this.

It's probably as close to a big boar as a small boar could get. The backbone is fantastic in this.
Thank you. As close to a big boar as a small boar can get is exactly what I'm looking for.

If i like the brush I will buy, I'm actually going to mount the knot in a vintage handle, so the handle is not as important as the knot for me. The thing I notice is there are two distinct bristle types used on Omegas. For lack of a better term, let's call them fine and coarse. My Proraso Pro and Omega 40033 use thicker bristles than my 10049 and Bambino. Batch variation, or intentional?

Last edited:
To close the loop on my choice, I actually bought neither brush. Both the 10029 and 10810 were too close to my existing 40033 at 24/50mm (and a hair smaller in fact).

I decided I wanted an Omega at 24mm or preferably 25mm with a 52-55mm loft. Haven't decided which, but ...

... I went to pick up toothpaste at the pharmacy this morning, and as always, browse to the shaving section to see if they're stocking the Proraso Super Formula yet, and there they were, a whole pristine row of Omega 10005 brushes, which I know are 24mm, and looked like the right loft. At CAN$14 why not.

I now have another boar to break in, the traditional way, by using it. My next boar will probably be an Omega Jade and then that's it ...I promise ;-)

To close the loop on my choice, I actually bought neither brush. Both the 10029 and 10810 were too close to my existing 40033 at 24/50mm (and a hair smaller in fact).

I decided I wanted an Omega at 24mm or preferably 25mm with a 52-55mm loft. Haven't decided which, but ...

... I went to pick up toothpaste at the pharmacy this morning, and as always, browse to the shaving section to see if they're stocking the Proraso Super Formula yet, and there they were, a whole pristine row of Omega 10005 brushes, which I know are 24mm, and looked like the right loft. At CAN$14 why not.

I now have another boar to break in, the traditional way, by using it. My next boar will probably be an Omega Jade and then that's it ...I promise ;-)

Glad to hear that you found what you were looking for. Don't worry, no one will hold you to that promise 😂

Shoppers Drug Mart?

Got to hand it to their buyers for stocking such a great cheap brush. I have one from there. It is my favourite boar.

Where abouts are you from with a pharmacy having brushes.

KM

I'm glad you found a brush with your desired knot and loft. I was actually going to suggest the 10005/80005. Another which is just outside your criteria is the 27mm x 57mm Goodfellas' Smile "Wild Hog" by Omega.

Shoppers Drug Mart?

Got to hand it to their buyers for stocking such a great cheap brush. I have one from there. It is my favourite boar.
Where abouts are you from with a pharmacy having brushes.
Brush (singular), and they also carry Proraso Green and White soaps, creams, and balms. Strangely, no Proraso Red.

The pharmacy is a Canadian chain called Shopper's Drugmart everywhere in Canada except here in Quebec (because we like to think of ourselves as different, oops, distinct). The chain is called Pharmaprix here.

There's another chain in Quebec called Jean Coutu that carries the Wilkinson Sword brush.

I'm glad you found a brush with your desired knot and loft. I was actually going to suggest the 10005/80005. Another which is just outside your criteria is the 27mm x 57mm Goodfellas' Smile "Wild Hog" by Omega.
Thanks - great minds think alike. I already have the Proraso Professional, also by Omega, that's a 27/57mm brush. Probably my favorite boar, with the B&B Essential Boar and Semogue 1800 close behind.

I was looking for something smaller than the Proraso, but bigger than my B&B Essential Boar, you know, for variety ;-) Sometimes you want rigatoni, sometimes penne or rotini, and sometimes just spaghetti. They're all pasta, but they are all different. Can't live with just one type.

Reactions: bjm
Thanks for the suggestion. That one caught my eye until i looked up the size. I have way too many 21 and 22mm boar brushes.
I believe it's larger than that, though. Around 24mm...check the thumbnail.

1593904179832.png

I believe it's larger than that, though. Around 24mm...check the thumbnail.

View attachment 1121770
Thanks, and that's one of the reasons Omega brushes frustrate me so much - no factory official data.

I checked the B&B link below and the 10290 is listed as 21mm knot (same as Amazon), but the link you sent clearly shows it's a 24mm. Big difference.

Same with the other brush I was looking at, the 10029, which I've seen lofts of 46mm at Maggards, 53mm on Amazon, and 59mm at the link below.

Great move!! Those brushes were just calling out to you!! :a29:

Here's my Omega Family Portrait. Missing are the Bambino (couldn't get it to stand on the towel rod) and the 40033 (currently naked - I removed the handle and will transplant the knot into a better one)

I think the 10005 is the perfect sized brush for my original goal, a brush in between the B&B Essential Boar and Proraso Professional
proxy.php

Top Bottom