What's new

Omega 10098

Just purchased one and I am very happy with it so far. It didn't smell like a wet [d/h]og coming out of the package. After lathering once, soaking in water with dawn, and drying on towel, I notice that a lot of the hairs were already split several times. Have brushed it against my face several times, pumped it against my face as well. Much softer than my current vintage boar. I think I will enjoy this brush a lot!
Omega 10098 close new[1].jpg
Omega 10098 new.jpg

It is taking me a little while to dial in the amount of water to leave in the brush. I didn't have that issue with my previous boar brush. Seen in the foreground. Which is a cactus in comparison to the Omega. I also have no problem with getting shaving cream up my nose with it. (notice avatar picture with circle beard)

Boar old & new.jpg

Hello

The 10098 is one of the most underrated brushes. It has a nice long handle that is easy to grip. This is perfect for those with large hands and reaches the bottom of any mug.
Oh and it is a bargain at under $15 delivered from most places.

It does smell a little at first. I used Dawn soap and TOBS grapefruit soap and within 3 shaves smell gone.

Enjoy your new brush.

Cheers
John

Omega 10098 close 1 week.jpg

A week and 1/2 later.

Had a few hairs come out first 2 or 3 uses. Haven't noticed anymore since.

The metal ring clinks LOUDLY when I am loading the brush from a mug. My only (minor) complaint. I guess it is needed to prevent the plastic from splitting should the knot get wet though.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Great brush and if I ever get a vintage brush that will accept the professionals knot, it's going in it.

I have an Omega 10098 that is fully broken in. It is a $15 brush that performs as well as a $150 high-density silvertip badger. It has great backbone and very soft tips. the 10098 may be one of the best bargains in the shaving world.

It's a very nice brush that's surprisingly nimble for its size. I recently did a 90 day break-in process (with pics) with my SOC boar and did the '98 along with it just for kicks. The '98 seemed to hit it's peak by 45 days in, if not before then. Both brushes were very good performers out of the box, but they do get better with use.

Omega 10098 close 1 month.JPG

At one month.

Not much difference from the 10 day photo. With at least 1/2 of the bristles already split, not expecting fast changes at this point. Plan on posting around the quarter next.

Is it big and floppy? And can you face lather with this monster?

Mine isn't floppy at all, plenty of scrub and backbone. IMO the loft is a little high for optimum face lathering, it'll work but it might fling lather everywhere. I get better face lathering results with my SOC boar and Vie-Long horse, actually face lathered with the SOC this morning - had a great shave.

Is it big and floppy? And can you face lather with this monster?

It is big. One of the largest and tallest boar knots that Omega offers. It isn't floppy though. The diameter offsets the loft. I don't have any modern boars to compare it to though. It's similar to the lower lofted vintage boars I have in scrub, but not as scritchy.

I only face lather, so yes. If I didn't have a moustache, I might use a different, smaller brush. Not sure, might just tuck my lips in when I lather.

You do have to be ginger when loading croaps from tubs, or scoop some out to use. I mostly use hard soaps from mugs though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom