What's new

Omega 10098 vs 48

Omega 48 vs 10098

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hi Clay S,

Maggard, Connaughtshaving all have the 98 as 27/65 and the 20102 at 28/60 or 59

It's the Italians I don't trust when it comes to precision or details, fashion, food yes, detailed info less do lol!

In another thread it was determined that the Pros loft seems to differ from 59-65, slight diameter differences exist as well, since they are measuring mounted knots. Probably manufacturing tolerences. My Pro 10098s are about 61-63mm loft. I rather knots be slightly off than them trimming them to a precise length though. I have vintage boars like that. They don't split. I've blow-dried, hydrogen peroxided, bleached, boiled, scrubbed, etc. No luck. About to go shower-scrub with one. :)

In another thread it was determined that the Pros loft seems to differ from 59-65, slight diameter differences exist as well, since they are measuring mounted knots. Probably manufacturing tolerences. My Pro 10098s are about 61-63mm loft. I rather knots be slightly off than them trimming them to a precise length though. I have vintage boars like that. They don't split. I've blow-dried, hydrogen peroxided, bleached, boiled, scrubbed, etc. No luck. About to go shower-scrub with one. :)

Hey buddy,

Yes, some differences do exist it's all hand made after all.

Shower scrub lol. You're going to be a boar buster too lol.

Good luck and do tell!

My new 10098s are on their way home. Today, once more to my 48. What a brush. Hesitations spin around me all of the time. It's difficult for me thinking of nothing better.

:)

Last edited:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Hello,

I have been using the Omega48 for years as a unique brush. Now it is time to change and the long handle 10098 is also an option.

Simple, which one?

Best.
I have two 48s. One new and one 10 years old. Now the 98 is on my shopping list. Another thing I don’t really need. Thanks dude.

I have two 48s. One new and one 10 years old. Now the 98 is on my shopping list. Another thing I don’t really need. Thanks dude.

You won’t regret it. It’s an amazing brush.

And it’s never a matter of need around here. [emoji41]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019

Everything is ready for the new brushes. My son, his 3D printer and some spray paint did the trick.

IMG_20190421_105323.jpg IMG_20190421_105343.jpg IMG_20190421_105351.jpg

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You won’t regret it. It’s an amazing brush.

And it’s never a matter of need around here. [emoji41]

AoM; B.O.S.S.;Knight of the Veg Table;MFR2019
It is hard to believe something will be better than the 48 but I suppose I’m going to have to find out myself. Also, I’ve always been intrigued by the handle. My experience with the 48 is the same as yours. Once the ends split, it is as soft as any Badger. I just ordered it.

@Cino , your 20102 appears to have a slightly different handle from those I usually see around.
proxy.php

The double rings are very cool and even more '70s looking!

Yes, they're o-rings, but they do work well with the handle. With that configuration and the soft bristles the brush gives a really nice massage in the morning.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have both.
I like both.
I've got the 48 stashed away while the 98 is in regular rotation. I'll come back to the 48 at some point, but I'm preferring the handle on the 98.
Well the 98 came this morning. I’ve had an eye on one for years so that is over. Now I have two 48s and a 98. I’ll give it a go in the morning with some Arko.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Let us know what you think! I should get the 48 back in the rotation.
I will. I also have a new 48 to break which is hard since I have a wonderful 48 I’ve used ten years just sitting there tempting me. I’ll push through though. It will be worth it In the end. It will just take a couple of months. I never really got into brushes since the one I had was so good. I tried a couple of synthetics but they can’t touch natural hair. The synthetic hair doesn’t have any scales on it like natural and that alone makes them inferior in my opinion although many love them. To each his own.

Since I love these and similar brushes, I have done a fair amount of research on them, scanning info on a number of sites, and measuring brushes myself.

I have arrived at the following understanding (accuracy +/- one milimeter):

knot of Omega 10098 is identical to that of Omega 10048, knot diameter 28 mm, loft 70 mm
knot of Omega 20102 is identical to that of Omega 10049, knot diameter 28 mm, loft 65 mm
knot of Proraso boar brush, very close to Omega 10083, knot 28 mm, loft 60 mm

It seems that misinformation is rampant out there ... I wonder if even Omega got it wrong ...

An example: Marggard Razors (generally a good site for knot measures) lists the 20102 with loft as being 59 mm, supposedly very similar to the Proraso, but when you hold the two up next to each other, the loft of the Proraso is clearly shorter. Measuring it, difference comes in at 5 mm.
And so forth.

For those wanting to get the details straight, I suggest buying each brush, and do the comparisons directly on the specimens themselves. At the price these brushes sell at, that should be within reach.

Also, a previous thread is of relevance here, with good pix:
which omega brush is the new Proraso Professional Boar Hair Shaving Brush?

My two 10098's measure about 63mm loft. No calipers, but about 26/27mm diameter.

That is interesting. There is no way my 10098s (I have a couple too) are anywhere near a 63 mm loft. I wonder if different batch productions of the same brush, could have different loft lengths .... Would be rather odd, given how this matters for brush feel and performance

Top Bottom