What's new

Omega 10066

Hi Guys.

I recently got this brush and I love it. It's breaking in nicely.
I notice about 2 bristles that are black in color. These bristles are extra hard and you do feel them while face lathering. Any idea what these bristles are for? I have seen a few of these brushes and I noticed that they all have a couple of these black bristles added.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I believe that's just the characteristics of boar hair. At least, that's what I have always assumed. Would be glad to know certainly.

I too had some black hairs in my Omega 10098 and 10005 brush.

You can either leave them as it is and enjoy the brush or you can cut them as low as possible.

They didn't split even after break-in process, so I cut them with a pair of scissors.

Try to cut the black hair as low as possible because you may splay the brush, and it won't be a good feel to encounter a cut hair while splaying.

This is very common with Omega boars. The intention is probably to have a knot without any black bristles, but they don't sweat too much about it, so in pretty much every Omega, there are black bristles. They are cheap brushes, so clearly they don't care to accurately remove all black bristles. This is much more rare with Semogue and Zenith boars.

This said, it is a very nice boar. Enjoy, sir!

It’s a cool little brush. I have a few black hairs in mine as well. I assumed that meant the hairs are not bleached.
Omega does make some brushes with unbleached hair (or at least, less processed). For instance, model 11137, which is very similar in size to the Semogue Owner's Club brushes. It's a great brush, BTW, less expensive than the SOC and keeps it's shape. It does not develop "bed head".
:laugh:

omega-11137-1.png

As far as I remember, white hog bristle are supposed to be premium hair (or just some hair dyed and bleeched like crazy) and should be quite soft but also quite springy, whereas black hair is more dense and is used to strengthen the knot. That is also done in high qualitiy painting brushes (which Omega does also). So, to put in some black hair is a sign of a well made and balanced knot as well as of craftsmanship in brushmaking.

It's like in Italian coffee. The best coffee has some Robusta beans in the blend, which is a sign of craftsmanship in coffe roasting and blending, whereas our 100% Arabica is considered a sign of cluelessness and ignorance (those people might even drink Nespresso and find it excellent).

View attachment 1277807
Me too... a black hair in my Zenith, but one I cannot feel. Good to know this is common.

Sorry to misdirect this thread: but is that a Zenith B2 (26x57mm)? Just got on line to order one. Regardless, that's an awfully sweet photo of your Zenith--Kudos.

I, too, have a couple of Omega 10066 brushes--great bursh, both have several strands of black bristles. This is characteristic of unbleached boar knots.

Sorry to misdirect this thread: but is that a Zenith B2 (26x57mm)? Just got on line to order one. Regardless, that's an awfully sweet photo of your Zenith--Kudos.

I, too, have a couple of Omega 10066 brushes--great bursh, both have several strands of black bristles. This is characteristic of unbleached boar knots.
The real product name is Zenith B03-A26 (great brush). "B2" is the name invented by the Gentle Shave vendor. You can order this brush much cheaper from yourshaving.com in Spain, if you are interested.

The real product name is Zenith B03-A26 (great brush). "B2" is the name invented by the Gentle Shave vendor. You can order this brush much cheaper from yourshaving.com in Spain, if you are interested.

Thank you. I'm going to head over to the site now. I appreciate the assist.

I own an Omega with this knot and it's terrific. Took a good while to break in. Same characteristics as yours (few black fibers). I imagine the premium boar brush they offer is just a bigger, possibly more dense version of this knot.

Hi Guys.

I recently got this brush and I love it. It's breaking in nicely.
I notice about 2 bristles that are black in color. These bristles are extra hard and you do feel them while face lathering. Any idea what these bristles are for? I have seen a few of these brushes and I noticed that they all have a couple of these black bristles added.
proxy.php
proxy.php

Good to see another 10066. To early to make a generalisation but it seems Omega boars are returning in popularity once again. The 10066 is a classic, like with Arko it will out see many shaving fads.

IMO the best boar brushes are the ones where the bristles have been as less chemically treated as possible.

The black bristles from my experience they do split eventually.

Boar brushes are all about the slow game, give it time and all the tips will split, but enjoy the journey there.

The ritual of Breaking in a boar brush is one of the great pleasures of this hobby.

Good to see another 10066. To early to make a generalisation but it seems Omega boars are returning in popularity once again. The 10066 is a classic, like with Arko it will out see many shaving fads.

IMO the best boar brushes are the ones where the bristles have been as less chemically treated as possible.

The black bristles from my experience they do split eventually.

Boar brushes are all about the slow game, give it time and all the tips will split, but enjoy the journey there.

The ritual of Breaking in a boar brush is one of the great pleasures of this hobby.
I've been using this brush for the last 7 days straight. Yes I have been using Arko daily with this brush. It's breaking in very well and the black bristles don't really bother me.
I personally seem to prefer boar to badger brushes. I do have a few synthetics but my boar brushes are my absolute favorite.
How long are these boar brushes made to last? I take pretty good care of them.

Top Bottom