What's new

Olympus 75mm question

for those that have used or owned the Olympus m43 75mm f1.8, do you find the focal length too long for must uses or any regrets with purchasing it?

Legion

Staff member
It's a good quality lens, but personally, I find a 150mm equivalent lens too tele for portrait work. I like to be closer to the subject, as a rule.

The downside, of course, is that with the smaller sensor, you sometimes need a more telephoto focal length to really throw the background out of focus, so that is the trade off, I guess.

Never tried it, but sample images I've seen do look amazing. Focal length does seem restrictive though, too long for general shooting, too short for wildlife. Probably work great for pics of small children, pets, and flowers. You could always set a zoom lens to 75mm, leave it there, and and work with it for a few days see how usable it would be for you. You'll just have to imagine the backgrounds being much more out of focus.

Depends what you're using it for. 150mm equivalent focal length is a bit of an odd one because it's a bit long for general use and not long enough for most things requiring telephoto.

With micro 4/3 sensors you need to be really careful because of the crop factor.

What sort of photography do you tend to do?

Top Bottom