What's new

Olympics 2016. Who's watching?

I'll be watching, and always enjoy the Olympics. Swimming is my favourite but a friend is competing for Australia in the Marathon, so the that's a must watch too.

I wish they'd just shut up and show the entire sporting event. Now we have any suspense or rhythm torn apart by commercial breaks. And I really do not care one little bit that the trampoliner was diagnosed as dyslexic in first grade. Cut out all the sappy human interest stories, please. More time for the sports. I read novels for human interest. Rant over, for four years.

The opening/closing stuff is too boring and cheesy to watch. I try to catch some of the sports that I find extraordinary, like gymnastics and bits of things that I know nothing about (seems to be more of them each time around) and others that you just never see, like dressage. Mostly. it's overkill, commercial and overloaded with stats and background drivel, with the occasional exciting moment (if you happen to catch it). Probably a worthwhile hour or two (combined) out of the whole, for me. I feel good for the athletes but not enough to watch very much.

They need more events. I'm glad they now have beach volleyball, and skateboarding. I agree that Tiddlywinks should be added.

I propose:
1. Suburban lawn mowing.
2. Wait staff order memorization
3. Text messaging while bobsledding
4. Rearranging furniture. Wife directed. Team event.
5. Pokemon Go!

Don

They need more events. I'm glad they now have beach volleyball, and skateboarding. I agree that Tiddlywinks should be added.

I propose:
1. Suburban lawn mowing.
2. Wait staff order memorization
3. Text messaging while bobsledding
4. Rearranging furniture. Wife directed. Team event.
5. Pokemon Go!

How about some wet-shaving themed events?

1. Race to BBS
2. Lather building. Separate events for bowl and face. Judged by a panel on quality, timed by a stopwatch for speed.
3. Straight razor gymnastics
4. One pass speed - start to finish, from opening the medicine cabinet to final clean up and closing the door.
5. Honing

The opening/closing stuff is too boring and cheesy to watch. I try to catch some of the sports that I find extraordinary, like gymnastics and bits of things that I know nothing about (seems to be more of them each time around) and others that you just never see, like dressage. Mostly. it's overkill, commercial and overloaded with stats and background drivel, with the occasional exciting moment (if you happen to catch it). Probably a worthwhile hour or two (combined) out of the whole, for me. I feel good for the athletes but not enough to watch very much.

+1 on the ceremonial stuff being pretty boring. I watched a couple minutes at a time last night, but quickly switched back when the commercials were over on the channels I really was interested in.

The only sport I'm following is Fencing, since I was involved in that in High School and College ... there seem to be a lot of Fencers making the rounds of talk shows. Last night, Steven Colbert interviewed a Team USA Fencer who is the first one to compete in a Hijab.
And local news interviewed a Fencer who spent far too much time showing off his tattoos instead of talking about the sport.

I don't really see the point in all the in-depth analysis and statistics and background color commentary.
But I know Sports Nutz live and breathe on this stuff. I don't.

I think this is the first opening ceremony I have ever watched for more than 15 minutes. Are they all so boring (and so not about sports)?
It was nice to see so many athletes in our team and I was happy to see Phelps carrying the flag.

Very happy about Virginia Thrasher having just won the first gold medal!!

BTW, is it true that wet shaving will be part of the 2020 Olympics ??

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
BTW, is it true that wet shaving will be part of the 2020 Olympics ??

That and Bearding. I gotta hire a trainer.

This opening ceremony was not the greatest. They didn't have a huge budget so they invested heavily in a projection system.

I liked London and Beijing

And:

6. Roller skating in a buffalo herd.
7. Changing film with a kid on your back.
8. Fishing in a watermelon patch.

These belong to Roger Miller, lest I be accused of plagiarism. I know I've disappointed a lot of folks who count on me to come up with these brilliant ideas for Olympic events.

Don

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I wish they'd just shut up and show the entire sporting event. Now we have any suspense or rhythm torn apart by commercial breaks. And I really do not care one little bit that the trampoliner was diagnosed as dyslexic in first grade. Cut out all the sappy human interest stories, please. More time for the sports. I read novels for human interest. Rant over, for four years.

I couldn't agree more, and we see this in every sport now.

Simpson deep to receive the punt. He breaks a tackle at the 30. He's across midfield now. He's at the 40..... the 30..... the 20..... he's allergic to shellfish..... touchdown!

I am boycotting any Olympic coverage.

Since I don't watch the Olympics, I can't boycott them. Really, 99% of my opinions on this would be contentious, and so I won't air them hear. I did hear that NBC was kind enough to have a few minutes of the opening ceremony squeezed in between the first 39 minutes of commercials.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
How about some wet-shaving themed events?

1. Race to BBS
2. Lather building. Separate events for bowl and face. Judged by a panel on quality, timed by a stopwatch for speed.
3. Straight razor gymnastics
4. One pass speed - start to finish, from opening the medicine cabinet to final clean up and closing the door.
5. Honing

You left out taco eating, where I'm sure some intrepid B&B'er would bring home the gold.

Olympics?? No but my wife insists on watching them. I have little interest, especially since there is some activity right now in the NFL football scene.

Hence...two big screen TVs.

Last edited:
Total number of channels on the BBC dedicated entirely to the Olympics = 8
Total number I'll be watching = 0

Top Bottom