What's new

Oliver Stone's World Trade Center

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I can understand how millions of people will go because they wish they had seen it happen. As one who saw it, I can assure you it was no fireworks display. I can guarantee that if they had seen it, they'd wish they hadn't.

A friend of mine was in the building. Luckily he got out but it's a little too close to home so I probably won't see it.

It seems too soon to me. Maybe if it was done ten years from now.

I may go see it. People tend to forget events rather quickly. Nevertheless, after today it will probably make people think of this event.

Frankly, it bothers the hell out of me. I want to believe that there was a higher purpose, but it still rankles me that someone (ok, lots of people) is making millions off of the tragic deaths of thousands of innocents. I guess it would make me feel a little better if all the profits were going somewhere else too.

I felt the same way about Titanic. 2000 people drowned tragically. It's painful just to think about that many lives cut off too soon, and that many families torn apart. Why would I want to spend two hours watching a movie about it? And isn't it a little sacriligious to turn a profit by exploiting it?

It would be very unfortunate to ever forget what happened, but somehow Hollywood Blockbuster just doesn't seem to deliver the level of respect deserved.

There is a line though, somewhere. I have seen and been deeply moved by two movies about the holocaust. (Life is Beautiful and Schindler's List). I am having a hard time putting a finger on the distinction. I think it is that both tell a very specific human story about response to horror, where the horrible events are sort of a backdrop, and shape the story, but are not actually the direct subject of it. This seems both more artistic and less exploitative. But I suppose someone who has actually seen Titanic or World Trade Center could probably argue that these movies do the same. There is just something about the marketing though, that seems so exploitative of all too real human tragedy.

All the same, just because of the pain and suffering aspect, I never really want to see Life is Beautiful or Schindler's List again either.

moses said:
..I want to believe that there was a higher purpose, but it still rankles me that someone (ok, lots of people) is making millions off of the tragic deaths of thousands of innocents. I guess it would make me feel a little better if all the profits were going somewhere else too.

I agree.

Tell the director, producer and actors that you agree by not patronizing this film.

I wonder how all of the people who died on this day would feel about the tragic ending of their lives being turned into someone's ten-thousand square foot summer beach house?

If there truly was a higher purpose, this film would have been produced with private money and all viewers would be able to see it completely free of charge in movie theatres and on public networks.

This film proves that on 9/11, cowardly Muslim terrorists and Hollywood won and innocent Americans funded it with their lives.

Are these the kinds of people that you feel comfortable supporting?

-joedy

Having lived through 9/11 and lost loved ones that day, the memories are as raw today as they were then; in fact my emotions are welling up just typing this short note. It appalls me that our country has so quickly forgotten the lessons of that day, as evidenced by the various actions and stances of many of our elected officials. That being said, I have no desire to see this movie, and I am vaguely sickened by the idea of making money off of the topic.

I would add that I think it is an utter DISGRACE that NOTHING has been done with the property to this point. There should be two great big brand new buildings sitting there by now. The fact that everyone now seems to be fighting about what to put there is disgusting, and I don't think it would be the same in a lot of other cities.

Andre

I lived in SF area for a while. I definitely don't think it would be any different there. I do think it is a shame that five years later we haven't settled on anything.

Well, I watched it the other day (SWMBO insisted she had to see it).
It does not do the truth justice IMHO and probably would have been better not filmed. It is the sterilized "Disney" version of the thing, and the exact same movie could have been made about people trapped in a burning building, a sunken submarine, or a cat in a tree. The plot came out of a can.
The movie, while OK, considering the grave subject matter should have been much much better to pay proper tribute to those who gave everything.
John P.

Unfortunately this movie will probably be how future generations learn about 9/11. Like the movie JFK this will be seen as the truth, a historical document almost.

Hollywood is always sanitising killing & rewriting history ..., it started with the cowboy & indian movies.

Regards
John

I can think of absolutely no justification for the making of this movie.

One of the comments that was constantly being repeated at the time was that 9/11 was "just like a movie". I found it rather fascinating, for it gave a subtle indication as to the manner in which our North American brains have come to process that which we see. The event was so out of the ordinary that it was surreal. Now, it seems that we need a movie to help processes an event which already seemed like a movie - making movies in order to better assimilate a reality which was already originally experienced as a movie hardly seems to be a helpful in grasping the raw facts of the occasion.

Furthermore, it's different from Titanic in that, while both were of course awful tragedies, 9/11 inevitably carries political overtones that were not present with the Titanic. While I appreciate the value of telling many of the mesmerizing stories that surround this event - at a much, much later point in the future - I feel very strongly that such pictures should be microscopic films which focus on individual stories and perspectives without feeling the need to situate them within an atmosphere of heroic patriotism. Besides finding such displays distastefully artificial, I believe it detracts from the far stronger impact of simply portraying ordinary Americans reacting to unimaginably tragic events - make a movie that simply shows their character without resorting to the heroic hype, a movie that's about people and not the circumstances. But don't make a film about the World Trade Center or 9/11, for no one from any of our generations will ever need to watch such an 'epic' attempt.

Xert said:
I can think of absolutely no justification for the making of this movie.

One of the comments that was constantly being repeated at the time was that 9/11 was "just like a movie". I found it rather fascinating, for it gave a subtle indication as to the manner in which our North American brains have come to process that which we see. The event was so out of the ordinary that it was surreal. Now, it seems that we need a movie to help processes an event which already seemed like a movie - making movies in order to better assimilate a reality which was already originally experienced as a movie hardly seems to be a helpful in grasping the raw facts of the occasion.

Furthermore, it's different from Titanic in that, while both were of course awful tragedies, 9/11 inevitably carries political overtones that were not present with the Titanic. While I appreciate the value of telling many of the mesmerizing stories that surround this event - at a much, much later point in the future - I feel very strongly that such pictures should be microscopic films which focus on individual stories and perspectives without feeling the need to situate them within an atmosphere of heroic patriotism. Besides finding such displays distastefully artificial, I believe it detracts from the far stronger impact of simply portraying ordinary Americans reacting to unimaginably tragic events - make a movie that simply shows their character without resorting to the heroic hype, a movie that's about people and not the circumstances. But don't make a film about the World Trade Center or 9/11, for no one from any of our generations will ever need to watch such an 'epic' attempt.

Hear Hear!! You are so right!!:ladysman:

You know, I am no where near New York.. but even the though of going to see this movie has me instantly in tears.. I am not ready for the re-enactment hollywood style.. I can't get over the reality and don't know if I ever will. It is too much for me. It trivializes it to make it into a blockbuster.

Sue (Mama Bear)

Born and raised on the streets of Brooklyn;
still have many family members living in the area- those who survived.

No- I won't see the movie:

I LIVED IT!!!!!!!!

Marty

I feel uncomfortable with movies being made of tragedies like this. While I did not "live" 9/11 as the New Yorkers did I now know exaclty how people feel who were born early enough to remember JFK's assasination. Till the day I die I will always remember what I was doing that morning when I saw it on the news. An event that effects people that strongly, no matter what their location, should never be used to generate revenue.

I thought this video about 9/11 was interesting. Either way, I don't know what to think, I just thought it was food for thought and quite interesting.

Top Bottom