What's new

Olive wood: do I need to stabilize?

I bought a piece of Olive wood: Olive Wood Turning Square. I want to make a set of scales from this. I have read some articles about having to stabilize wood on the Internet. Would I have to do this with this type of wood, and if so how would I do this?

Thanks

Olive wood is notorious for warping when it gets a bit thin. Stabilizing the wood before it's cut would eliminate the problem. If you don't want to send it off to have it done, make a one-piece set of scales out of it. Cut the thickness at 5/16's and go from there. It's also a bit on the soft side, so a CA finish would definitely help.

I live in an apartment so I don't have the equipment to make a one piece set of scales. Also this is my first set so I wanted to start with something easier. Is there a finish that will soak into the wood to help stabilize it?

Thanks

Super thin CA. Do it outside. Quickly saturate both sides. Do not glue fingers to body or tools. Do not smell the fumes. Let it cure overnight - outside. Begin sanding process. Be easier just to pick a different material.

Redheart
Desert Ironwood
Ebony
Cocobolo
African Amazique
Most Rosewoods
Just about any wood offered by knife maker supply stores

Do not... read again... do not... use Pine or Oak

Legion

Staff member
When using CA for the first time keep a bottle of nail polish remover handy for the inevitable.

Does air or kiln drying wood make it stable?

Bill do the woods you mention need to be dried? I have a Lee Valley close by and I have found some kiln dried wood on the internet. The knife supply stores usually have blanks in 5" which is too short. I suppose the problem would be keeping it dried while working on it.

Thanks

Last edited:
Top Bottom