What's new

Olive Oil Soaps

Can any one give me some info on olive-oil soaps...are they better than, say, zest and why; are they comedogenic or not; etc. I have been checking out the soaps at www.frenchsoaps.com that another member mentioned. I'd like to pick some up for my wife as a thank-you for not going completely crazy as I spend my life savings on shave gear.
Thank you in advance.

Olive oil soaps are very mild and moisturizing. I would stop by your local whole foods or wild oats and pick up a bar. Kiss my face and Provence make very nice soaps.

I bought the sampler from frenchsoaps and have really enjoyed all of them...you really cant go wrong with olive oil soaps.

Put some more thought into it and started comparing olive oil soaps of all brands and my latest bar being a NB brand and the two main differences are latherabillity and the way my skin feels afterwards. With olive oil soaps, latherabillity is not that great IMO but for those who do not like the squeaky clean feeling that most bars leave....olive oil does not do it.

Hello,

a friend of mine brought me two bars of olive oil soaps directly from Syria,Aleppo.
Mmm, the scent is very singular, a little bit like old, dried colour but the caregiving is sensational.
Theres no body lotion necessary after the shower...

Regards

Thomas

i have used that Saveon De Marsielle stuff....probably didn't spekll that right...

It is a low lather soap, but my skin feels so soft afterwards....I really like it...you can go on ebay and save you a few bucks on shipping from one seller on there...

now if only I could attract a beautiful French woman after i bathe with it...

oo lala...

mark tssb

Ifind Marsielles olive oil soap, like the CAR cube to be an excellent addition to shaving. I lather my brush on it before cream, for example, and it makes a very wet light lather that doesn't dry on your face. It's also pretty slik.

I would like to know if you guys find any differences between the Savon and KMF olive soaps. I was looking for info on Savon de Marseille and read that during its making, they skim the glycerin from the soap, with only trace amounts left. Or was that, skim the soap from the glycerin...I don't remember. I'm wondering if KMF leaves the glycerin in theirs. I don't know much about it, but it seems they should pretty much be the same thing. Soap made from 70-80% olive oil.

javyn said:
I would like to know if you guys find any differences between the Savon and KMF olive soaps. I was looking for info on Savon de Marseille and read that during its making, they skim the glycerin from the soap, with only trace amounts left. Or was that, skim the soap from the glycerin...I don't remember. I'm wondering if KMF leaves the glycerin in theirs. I don't know much about it, but it seems they should pretty much be the same thing. Soap made from 70-80% olive oil.

The KMF Unscented Olive Oil soap contains: Saponified Olive Oil, Water, Sodium Chloride, Citric Acid (a natural pH balancer).

Also, (from their site):

The KMF bars have 86% olive oil.
" Olive Oil has been used for centuries to moisturize and nourish the skin. A powerful antioxidant, rich in Vitamin E and Beta Carotene, Olive Oil is renowned for its extraordinary emollience as well as an abundance of other beneficial properties:
*Stimulates new cell generation ... giving the skin a fresh, youthful appearance.
*Tightens and tones the skin with its high concentration of Vitamin E and antioxidants.
*Slows the development of wrinkles and creases.
*Softens the skin, reduces infection and effective in treating burns.
*Contains anti-inflammatory properties.
*Alleviates many skin conditions including acne, eczema and psoriasis."

I've found their 8oz bars at Kroger for $2.49......not bad considering that the 4oz was only pennies cheaper.

Duru olive oil soap (made by the same company as Arko shaving stuff) is excellent. It not only smells nice, but it also moisturizes the skin very well, and on top of that, our dollar stores sell them in packages of 5 for a dollar!

Jeff

Interesting, do you find it to be really that much more moisturizing? I'd think if it has no glycerin, it would be about as drying as every other soap out there, or marginally better, at best.

javyn said:
Interesting, do you find it to be really that much more moisturizing? I'd think if it has no glycerin, it would be about as drying as every other soap out there, or marginally better, at best.

I've found it to be very moisturizing. I do have a glycerin based shaving soap that makes my face feel tight & dry afterwards. Seems kind'a backwards but the KMF Olive Oil soap is the mildest I've found.

That's great. My Bare Naked bar is dissolving at a pretty quick rate, so I will be able to try the Olive Oil bars sooner than I thought!

Im still working on the assortment from french soaps and so far the bar from turkey is the most moisturizing and made a great all in one.

I ended up pirchasing the savon de marseilles (sp?) soaps with crushed flowers sampler. I think they may be arriving tomorrow.

I placed my order late last week. Much like you, my order stated that it'd likely ship the 19th. Well, while checking my email to track my two orders from QED last week, I noticed a third package in transet. The stated weight is 3 lbs and since I have received all of my qed orders this is the only option remaining. That said, we'll see what the UPS man has to say tomorrow about 3 pm.

Top Bottom