What's new

Olive oil & Coconut oil

I use jojoba oil on my beard after I shower but I've been interested in seeing what Coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil will do. I've read somwehere to rub olive oil in about 20 or 30 minutes before a shower and then wash it out in the shower. I'm not sure about the Coconut oil though. Any experiences or advice?

Non comedogenic oils are best. Coconut oil can accumulate in your pores even though it is almost liquid at room temperature (not sure why). Once you get blackheads, there's a tendency for the pours to widen and cause pockmarks.

I'd go with olive oil. The coconut oil can re-solidify and accumulate in your drain and clog the pipes just like grease.

Coconut oil is good for your hair and skin, but if you dont want it to solidify at room temperature, you need to use fractionated coconut oil, which is fine, unless you were trying for all natural. Its highly processed to make it permanently liquid, though I admit I have no idea what the process actually entails...

Are you having specific skin or hair issues you are trying to relieve or are you just experimenting?

Experimentation is great, and if that is the goal, I say try a little bit of everything. Then you can tell US how well it works! Im always ready to hear some new exoeriences.

I have never heard of using olive oil before the shower. I have spent a lot of time learning about beard treatments and care regiments, but Ive never heard that one. That doesnt mean it isnt a valid idea, so give it a try!

If you are trying to solve a specific issue or trouble area, it would help us to help you if we knew the symptoms, or at least some of them.

I can tell you about olive oil , hot oil treatment is hot olive oil , normally , they sell it in beauty places (or used to) , in plastic little tubes , you heated it with water in a pan , then applied it to your hair , let it stay on a while then shower it off . I turned 18 in 1977 , long locks was the thing . It was (supposedly) deep conditioning for your hair and scalp . But I tried olive oil (extra virgin) as a stashe oil , then after a couple of tries , added Ogallala Bay Rum , Limes & Peppercorns AS/Cologne or Sage & Cedar to sweeten it up . Worked fine . In the Bible anointing with oil , for hair and beard care was normal , spiced just made to more special . And it was used in conjunction with anointing by a prophet of GOD when GOD chose David , and before Saul the peoples' king , Samuel anointed them with a horn of olive oil . In Psalm 133 , It says (beginning with what the Psalm (song) is) ...
A Song of Ascents. Of David.
1 Behold, how good and how pleasant it is For brethren to dwell together in unity!

2 It is like the precious oil upon the head, Running down on the beard, The beard of Aaron, Running down on the edge of his garments.
3 It is like the dew of Hermon, Descending upon the mountains of Zion; For there the Lord commanded the blessing-- Life forevermore.

or Psalm 23:5b ... YOU
anoint my head with oil , my cup overflows .

Last edited:
I saw a video that said coconut oil was drying to some peoples skin , might work for some , but almond , jojoba , argon , grapeseed , and something else , castor oil , was better for your skin . And like Chris said , it can solidify , but I've heard of using it for oil pulling . Putting a tablespoon in your mouth and working it around for 20 minutes , supposed to be really good for that , kills bacteria , whitens teeth , all that stuff .

Top Bottom