What's new

Olive oil as a beard oil ?

I've seen multiple DIY shave oils that contain olive oil. I don't know why you couldn't at least try it and see what your experience is. Its food safe, skin safe....worse that can happen is it doesn't work well and you move on with life.

Olive oil has a scent to it. Ancient people used it. I'd suggest something neutral like jojoba oil or almond oil or a mix of those.

I feel a long story coming on... :001_tongu

Back when I was living in a logging camp, I decided to grow a big Grizzly Adams beard. The beard looked great, but the elements dried out my skin and I got a bad case of "beardruff". I thought it was due to oily skin, so I washed my face constantly and shampooed my beard. But, that just made it worse.

I asked the camp medic (who happened to be the camp cook) what to do and he suggested that I should rub cooking oil through my beard. I thought he was joking, but he was serious, so I tried the oils that he had in the kitchen: olive oil, avocado oil, grapeseed oil, and sunflower oil.

All of the oils got rid of the dandruff. They also soothed the razor burn whenever I shaved my neck with a disposable razor and canned foam. The cook told me that all of these oils had beneficial properties, such as moisturizing the skin, UV protection, killing bacteria, and curing acne.

So, it came down to choosing the one that I liked best. I ended up using sunflower oil most often because it was thinner (less viscous) than the other oils, didn't really smell like anything, didn't make my skin or beard shiny, and seemed to keep well in the heat. As a bonus, it made my beard feel soft.

Meanwhile, I found that olive oil was kind of thick and wouldn't absorb into my beard hair very well, but it had an appealing combination of grassy and fruity scent notes. Avocado oil was also too viscous, had a greasy feel, and smelled a bit strange. Grapeseed oil was even thinner than the sunflower oil, but I had heard that it was toxic in large amounts due to the process used to extract it. Who knows if that's actually true, but I didn't want to take a chance since this was going to be on my skin all day.

So, to answer the question... Yes, I've used olive oil as a beard oil. It works, it's cheap, and you can get it anywhere. I would have used it if it was the only choice available to me at the time.

The smell!! It does work and leaves hair in nice condition. I am extremely sensitive to smells....and this feels like you are a salad!
Argan is probably better.
Go to Trader Joes if your city has it.....and check around, they have argan, jojoba and coconut oils....can buy these 3 with what you pay for one "beard oil". Then you can use them alone or mix em how you want. These 3 are really good.

Top Bottom